What are head-fi members views on apt-x lossless codec (over bluetooth)?
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #451 of 461
just for your information, after checking aptX . c o m

MDR-1000X - supports aptX, LDAC
MDR-100ABN - supports aptX, LDAC
MDR-EX750BT - supports aptX, LDAC
MDR-XB950N1 - supports aptX, LDAC
MDR-XB950B1 - supports aptX, LDAC
MDR-XB950BT - supports aptX, LDAC
MDR-10RBT - supports aptX, LDAC
WH-1000XM2 - supports aptX, aptX HD, LDAC
WH-H900N - supports aptX, aptX HD, LDAC
WI-H700 - supports aptX, aptX HD, LDAC
WH-H800 - supports aptX, aptX HD, LDAC

NW-A40 (walkman) - supports aptX, LDAC
NW-ZX300 (walkman) - supports aptX, aptX HD, LDAC

Jan 25, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #452 of 461
I picked up the Bowers and Wilkins PX headphones a couple months ago and am really enjoying them. However — I pair them with my S7 Edge which supports aptx and isn’t able to fully leverage the PX’s aptx hd capability. Is it ludicrous for me to consider switching to the V30 or a 2018 flagship phone to take advantage of aptx hd? Has anyone actually done a side-by-side with these two codecs to objectively say there is an audible difference? Also hopefully this question is not akin to the age-old debate of headphone burn-in versus placebo.

Hi, if you want to select which Bluetooth transmission format, you must active "Developers' Options" in the Setting menu. (go to ABOUT THIS PHONE or something with similar meaning) You just need to tap 10 times at certain place on the phone info list.
Once you can access "Developer's Options Menu", you can find an option that is about BT option (probably has aptX, aptX HD, and LDAC for you to choose).

Jan 25, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #453 of 461
I just want audible transparency. I don't listen to numbers. I listen to music.

Then, I am quite sure that you probably like the sound of LDAC. It has more emotion than aptX and aptX HD.
*it is just like the Qualcomm Aqstic DAC vs others like ESS, AKM, Burr Brown, or even to FPGA (of Chord Mojo or Sony), Qualcomm's DAC just feels dry.

Anyway, these are the latest smartphone model with latest Android OREO (version 8.0) that comes with LDAC supports,

HTC U11, U11+
Huawei Mate10, Mate10 Pro
Sony Xperia series
Google Pixel 2

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #454 of 461
... LDAC transmission is more than enough to transmit 16bits/44.1kHz size of data...

... this already proof that it has no trouble to transmit and reconstruct data size of 16/44.1 (as 24/96 is a much larger size in comparison).

I don't doubt that LDAC has (theoretically) enough bandwidth for lossless 16/44.1 transmission. I'm able to do the math, thanks.

What I'm saying is that I found no proof (a specification or official statement by Sony) that LDAC actually does lossless encoding for 16/44.1 content.

Jan 25, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #455 of 461
Then, I am quite sure that you probably like the sound of LDAC. It has more emotion than aptX and aptX HD.
*it is just like the Qualcomm Aqstic DAC vs others like ESS, AKM, Burr Brown, or even to FPGA (of Chord Mojo or Sony), Qualcomm's DAC just feels dry.

How funny it sounds to me that you can hear the dryness of a DAC!! LOL!! You audiophiles (golden ears!!) for sure living with many placebo inside you!!!

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #457 of 461
I had an DAC with great emotion once. Every time I played Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony with it, it burst into tears! A dry DAC can be quenched by playing The Sons of the Pioneers singing "Cool Water" or Gene Kelly's "Singing in the Rain".

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #458 of 461
I had an DAC with great emotion once. Every time I played Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony with it, it burst into tears! A dry DAC can be quenched by playing The Sons of the Pioneers singing "Cool Water" or Gene Kelly's "Singing in the Rain".

!!! I like you even though I don’t know you bigshot!!! I am with you 100%!!!

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #459 of 461
We’re pals now!

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #461 of 461
Hello! Noob question - does the Aptx lossless also have a specific setting in the menu?

I have the Xiaomi 13 Pro, it is supposed to have Aptx Lossless, however cannot find the specific codec to be activated from the settings.

Capture from phone settings here - https://ibb.co/n1WTKhh

Link for the phone from Aptx website - https://www.aptx.com/products/xiaomi-13-pro

Or Aptx lossless is just another form of aptx adaptive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back