What apps are you putting on your iPhone?
Jul 12, 2008 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I just finished updating my iPhone about 20 minutes ago and have already added PayPal, a weather app and a financial calculator to my iPhone.

Has anyone started adding apps to their phone yet? What's working for you? Anything you want to tell everyone about?

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 50
remote is awesome!!!
Use your iPhone to control iTunes on your home computer or laptop.
Also you have such greats as rotary dialler an old school phone which is so hard to use but so awesome LOL

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remote is awesome!!!
Use your iPhone to control iTunes on your home computer or laptop.
Also you have such greats as rotary dialler an old school phone which is so hard to use but so awesome LOL

I love the Remote App!!!! No longer need front-row.
smily_headphones1.gif

Only think I wish rotary dialler had was the corresponding dial sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

BoxOffice--free--is a great way to see what movies are playing within range of a zipcode.

Light--free--displays a blank, white screen.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I get some time, I'm going to try e-reader. I'm an avid user on my Palm T|X and would love to be able to use it on my iPhone.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 50
AIM, BookShelf, Ebay Mobile, Google Mobile App, Guitar Toolkit, Mobile News Network, NYTimes, Pandora Radio, People, Remote, Save Benjis, Twitterific Premium, Where, Yelp and YPMobile.

Where doesn't seem to work. I may have to reinstall it.

Pandora Radio is incredible. I like the way Mobile News works, and BookShelf is fantastic for Project Gutenberg texts. I now have the complete works of Poe and a bunch of mystery and horror short stories on my iPhone, along with all of Andrew Lang's fairy tales books. That will keep me busy for a while.

One thing I found with the older iPhone is not to load apps from the app store on the phone. It takes a LONG time to download them. My phone must have downloaded all night. It was dead this morning. Better to load apps from iTunes.

See ya
Steve

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AIM, BookShelf, Ebay Mobile, Google Mobile App, Guitar Toolkit, Mobile News Network, NYTimes, Pandora Radio, People, Remote, Save Benjis, Twitterific Premium, Where, Yelp and YPMobile.

Where doesn't seem to work. I may have to reinstall it.

Pandora Radio is incredible. I like the way Mobile News works, and BookShelf is fantastic for Project Gutenberg texts. I now have the complete works of Poe and a bunch of mystery and horror short stories on my iPhone, along with all of Andrew Lang's fairy tales books. That will keep me busy for a while.

One thing I found with the older iPhone is not to load apps from the app store on the phone. It takes a LONG time to download them. My phone must have downloaded all night. It was dead this morning. Better to load apps from iTunes.

See ya
Steve

thanks for the tip on BookShelf. i tried using the ereader app but couldn't figure out how to get books in there...accessing project gutenberg is nice.

i like remote a lot. i use evernote and so far it's been useful on the iphone, although i don't like the way it scales down the size of pictures. jott for the iphone is not very useful, IMO. news network and yelp are nice, too.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 50
AOL radio. I like the vocal jazz and comedy channels.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 50
AOL Radio is great. I can actually listen to WBBM NewsRadio Chicago when I'm feeling a bit homesick (and WXRT when I want to mourn the great station it was in the 1970's
frown.gif
). Although I can only take about 30 seconds of Felicia Middlebrooks before I gag.
smily_headphones1.gif

AIM works well, as does NY-Times and YP Mobile.

SourceForge is neat for quick Slash-Dot checking.

I'm not going to pay money yet, except I did purchase SplashID 'cause I've been using it on my Desktop/Palm for several years.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 50
AIM is great, there are also a lot of silly little free games available, I like papijump I think that is what it's called. a little red ball bounces up an endless amount of little ledges until you fall. it is definitely entertaining while waiting in lines. there is another app called koi pond, it seems like with this app you either love it or you think it is stupid. it costs a dollar and it turns your screen into an interactive koi pond. you can play with the water, scare the fish and there are a few lily pads. I like it.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 50
Papijump has nice gameplay. Thanks for mentioning it. I also bought Koi even though I knew it'd get uninteresting pretty fast. Can't beat it for a single dollar. The smooth graphics and execution makes it.

It's too easy to spend money in the app store so I bought a few. (past two days were unproductive.
tongue.gif
) Here they are with some quick ratings:

Todo: 9/10 GTD type app. Executed very well for the iPhone.

iWik: 8/10 Wikipedia client. One dollar. Has a better interface than the free version.

What's On?: 7/10 TV listings. Easy to use but missing features. Favorites can be saved for specific shows but not whole channels. There are about 5 channels that I care about Comedy, Toon, PBS, etc.. Having to browse a hundred at a time instead makes it difficult to work with.

PocketGuitar: 9/10 Just fun to use. Simulates an acoustic-electric, electric, classical, and muted guitars. It can also do an electric bass and ukulele. There's an option to pass it through two effects from there options. Distortion, delay and chorus. The accelerometer can be used to change the pitch. Brilliant!

Monkey Ball: 8.5/10 Get a monkey in a bubble from point a to b. Controls take time to get used to. One you get the feels, it's very responsive and fun. Nice simple 3d graphics. Fits the game very well.

Trism: 8.5/10 Similar to be bejeweled but uses triangles and orientation. Complex gameplay makes it a little less fun but it's still interesting. I need to give this more time but it's brilliantly executed.

Crash Cart: 8/10 Not my type of game. Just wanted to see how well the iPhone could handle 3d racing. I wasn't too impressed. It's fun though.

LineRider: 8/10 Not sure why I bought this. It's neat but to do anything cool with it, it'd be time consuming. You basically draw lines on a 2d plane so your little character can ride on it.

Free apps:

Remote: 9/10 Brilliant!

Pandora: 9/10 ^^

NetNewsWire: 9/10 Feed reader. Syncs up with my Mac. Very seamless and very usable.

Stanza: 9/10 ebook reader with the ability to get free books right from the program. Selection seems pretty big. With the desktop client, anything can be loaded. –I haven't tried this. Has controls to change fonts, font-size, leading and alignment.

Evernote: 8.8/10 Also syncs up with my Mac. Their TOC sucks but it works well. The text recognition feature in images is really nice. I can take photos of signs from the phone then search for their contents later on. There's more to it and it's very useful.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 50
Stanza is great for reading eBooks.

Sudoku Unlimited is probably the best sudoku application. Costs $3, but it generates puzzles rather than drawing them from a large pool, plus its interface is very smooth.

Enigmo is probably the best game I've played on it. $5 and totally worth it.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 50
Back to PocketGuitar.. This this is so addictive and entrancing. I'm no musician but here's me totally spazzing out with delay and distortion.
biggrin.gif

I'm like a complete dork playing it. Shaking it violently makes these freakish noises on the high notes. Haha.

pocket distortion – direct link to mp3

I'll have to check out Enigmo.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 50
bubblewrap is also extremely entertaining for a free app and if you live near/in or travel to major cities often, urbanspoon is fun if you are adventurous when it comes to food

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 50
Games:

I'm not big on games, but these are the ones I like.

Crash Landing
Cowabunga
BlueSkies Lite
Lightsaber Unleashed

Utilities:

Cydia + Installer (of course)
WifiToggle - yes, I am that lazy/yes, this app is that convenient
OfflineMaps - I don't have 3G and a GPS
Docs - I can view a bunch of filetypes
Metronome - for drumming practise purposes
MakeItMine - I can show people I'm on carriers I'm not actually on
Lonely Planet's Mandarin Phrasebook
weDict - awesome
ToDo - cause I need one
midomi - tune recognition
Shazam - tune recognition
BossPrefs - I can turn things off and on

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 50
Pretty cool...just started really looking at the iPhone apps today. Can't find "BoxOffice" though...* indicates "must have"

"iTranslate Ultimate"
"Today's History"
"iPresidents"
"Constitution For iPhone and iPod Touch"
"Google Mobile App" *
"Central Park NYC"
"City Transit NYC Subway Guide"
"Cocktails"
"New York Times"
"Wine Journal""
"Vicinity"
"SplitCheck"
"Congress+"
"Famous Speeches"
"Famous Documents"
"iQuote"
"World Factbook"
"iStates"
"Pandora"
"AOL Radio"
"Biorhythm"
"Informant" *
"Chronology"
"Shazam" (...this one is truly amazing as far as I'm concerned, and it's free!) *
"Google Earth"
"SplashID"
"Cooliris"
"SnapTell"
"Night Stand"
"Facebook"
"Amazon"
"Flixster"
"The Weather Channel"
"TrafficInfo"
"iOwn"
"Bloomberg"