What amplifier suits the hd-650 best?
Oct 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ChrisZe

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Im the proud owner of a senn HD-650 headphone, but i cant stop thinking im not getting the best out of these canns.

My setup is as following:

PC-out > Pioneer VSX-D512 Home Cinema Receiver > Pro-ject Headbox mk-II > Senn HD-650

The vsx-d512 doent have any line-outs at all, so connecting a headphone amp is a bit complicated (I have done so by using the pioneer's phone-out, but the sound isnt that good obviously)

I think it would be best to start off with a new speaker-amplifier that can also drive a Senn HD-650 (300 ohm) reasonably well for a suitable price, around 400-700€ would be nice. Any suguestions? Regards.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 17
I've always liked the sound of the HD650 from a SS amp. I've heard the HD650 at its best from a beta22. Try to audition the audio gd c-2c, it's very reasonably priced.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 17
There is a search function on this site. It's not there because we thought it looked cool and fitted into the design, it's there because there's a bajillion threads on this topic already. Hate to rant, but this is happening so much lately..

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a search function on this site. It's not there because we thought it looked cool and fitted into the design, it's there because there's a bajillion threads on this topic already. Hate to rant, but this is happening so much lately..

Im after a speakeramp, not an headphoneamp, sorry for the confusing post.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 17
I'll be able to comment on a 650/Ming Da Mc84 C07 combo here hopefully by the end of next week. I just ordered one from Pacific Valve to swap out my Audio-gd Compass. The Compass sounds ok with the HD650s, but due to the fact that the 650s are so revealing, I can notice some treble grain/etchiness with this unit. So I've opted to try the Ming Da and use my DacMagic along with it. Having a high quality source is important with the 650s.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Compass sounds ok with the HD650s, but due to the fact that the 650s are so revealing, I can notice some treble grain/etchiness with this unit.

I find that the HD650 go very well with the Audio-GD Compass.
I do not find the cans that revealing and I do not notice any grain/etchiness.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oskari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure?

vsx_d512_k_rear_panel_large.gif

Tnx, I just couldnt seem to find it on the damn thing, but nevertheless, I'm saving for a better system or a better headamp. What do you guys advice?

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the HD650 go very well with the Audio-GD Compass.
I do not find the cans that revealing and I do not notice any grain/etchiness.

I suppose this is all based on personal taste. Some people enjoy brighter sounding components, others like warm sounding things. But if you do have any particular sensitivity to bright sounding music, then the Compass/HD650 combo may need to be avoided. Several people who I've had listen to the combo all agree that it sounds bright.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #14 of 17
For your price range, I'd go with a well made solid state amp. One with plenty of power and a good, low output impedance.

The thing about the HD-650 is that the bass is a little on the heavy side. If you use an inexpensive OTL tube amp, then that can thicken the bass and contribute to the "veil" you've probably heard about.

On the other hand, a clean, powerful solid state amp will keep the bass tight. You can do the same with tubes, but that can get pricey if you want it done right.

Going with something like the Gilmore Lite, M^3, CK2III, or EC/SS (I like all of them) will get you tight bass and a clean representation of the rest ofthe spectrum. Tubes will sound good in the mids, however, inexpensive tube amps will thicken the lows.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your price range, I'd go with a well made solid state amp. One with plenty of power and a good, low output impedance.

The thing about the HD-650 is that the bass is a little on the heavy side. If you use an inexpensive OTL tube amp, then that can thicken the bass and contribute to the "veil" you've probably heard about.

On the other hand, a clean, powerful solid state amp will keep the bass tight. You can do the same with tubes, but that can get pricey if you want it done right.

Going with something like the Gilmore Lite, M^3, CK2III, or EC/SS (I like all of them) will get you tight bass and a clean representation of the rest ofthe spectrum. Tubes will sound good in the mids, however, inexpensive tube amps will thicken the lows.

Whats this 'veil', I'm rather new to the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back