What amp (speaker) do you use?
Jan 24, 2002 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Ctn

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive been here a while and I know everyone loves headphones but about speaker systems...

What amp do you use at home? or would like to own one day?

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 23
i use a ****ty low-budget kenwood (ka-2060 or something) with
my magnat mirage 8 mkII and some ancient uher receiver for my
jensen advantage 1000.
i guess there is not much to say about this crap...
evil_smiley.gif

the amp i'd love the get my fingers on would be:
http://www.vincent-tac.de/sv_233.htm

or probably a sugden ampmaster
http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/stoneaud...ufacturerID=45

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 23
I had so much fun building the Bottlehead Foreplay preamp that I'll be building a pair of Paramour 2A3 monoblock amplifiers within a few weeks for the Oris 200 Project.

$550 for a pair of SET monoblocks with the tubes included. Yeowza. You can't beat that. Actually, you really CAN'T beat that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 23
Way to go Nick! Horns and SET, what class. I especially like the fact that the Oris uses two 10" woofers, as I've never been enamoured with the concept of subwoofers and consider them a compromise at best. I thought hard about going SET, but decided on push/pull this go-round--my listening environment is too small for the horns I was interested in.

I just ordered a pr. of Quicksilver Mini Mite 25w monoblocs (tube). For speakers, it will be the Hales Revelation 1 which are demos that I am getting at half price. They should yield a good resale price when I replace them this summer.

All I need to do now is decide on a Preamp. Things are getting exciting around here...

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 23
Carver 6250 Receiver to drive Klipsch Forte speakers. Until recently I was also using a Dynaco Stereo 70/Pas 3x combo to drive vinatge AR3A speakers. But I had to make room for headphone related equipment, so that system has been replaced with a Yamaha CA1010 amp and Klipsch KG1 speakers.
I liked the Dyanaco, but the bass needed a little tightening up. Like Nick, I'm interested in SET.......I have my eye on the Zen amp from Decware
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 23
I have a Denon AVR-2800 for home theater use, and a Velodyne 10" powered subwoofer.

I'm building a simple stereo music listening system in another room. I managed to get a NAD 2200 power amp and 1155 preamp used for $100 -- an amazing deal considering what these sell for on eBay. They are (currently) driving a pair of Paradigm Atoms and a 12" passive subwoofer. I'll soon be converting the passive sub to an active sub with the addition of an NHT MA-1A subwoofer amp. This will give me much better control over subwoofer volume and crossover frequency.

The Atoms sound really wonderful, but will be replaced (when I have the money) by a set of Magnepan planar/ribbon speakers. I will have enough money saved up soon to buy the Magnepan MMGs, which I could mate to the subwoofer. Or, I might hold out longer and save up my money until I have enough for the Magnepan 1.6s. I thought the Maggies were further off in my future because of their amplification requirements -- I assumed that I'd be dropping at least $500 on a decent used amp/preamp combo, until I lucked into the NAD setup for $100.

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 23
Outlaw 1050 receiver -> Norh 4.0s and Adira Rava sub.

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
If you don't mind dipping your toes into DIY (albeit "paint by numbers"), try the Bottlehead Foreplay or the Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid. Both are excellent.

My system should be in place within 3 weeks. There's no time to wait for a Foreplay. I'm thinking Conrad Johnson, but if I can't decide, I'll get an inexpensive ASL for temporary use.
frown.gif

Joe,
There's a Zen for sale for a good price at Audiogon. They have a following, but are not directly heated triode which is an issue with some purists. Once my soon-to-be-present system is in place I'll work on a SET based system for the livingroom. I'm thinking 2A3 from Wright Sound Co., Welbourne, or the Bottlehead Parabee.

Jan 24, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 23
For music, I use Harman Kardon PA 2000, but for DTS playback, I use my HK AVR 520 receiver.

Next on my upgrade list is Antique Sound Lab AQ2004 DT pre amp.

Want: Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS pre amp
Rotel RB-1080 or Sunfire Signature power amp

Jan 24, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 23
Nice eq guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Most of them I've never heard before hehe

How would you describe their sound?

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 23
Parasound HCA 2003 to...ummm... nothing right now. Suggestions are welcome!

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 23
You know you can always look at our profiles. Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
How would you describe their sound?

Euphonic. Fabulosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back