What amp for HFI780 : Mini millet ?
Nov 18, 2008 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mastersheep

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I want to get an amp for my HFI780 and need some advice.
Price MUST be under 200 dollars ; here is what it comes to :
-little dot LD1+ or MKII
-a ibasso
-a mini millet hybrid
-anything you could suggest UP TO 200 dollars

Here's my setup:
Cowon D2 => HFI780 ( also using a 75 ohm impedance adapter )

Please note : I do not need it to be portable and don't need a DAC.

Thanks for answering

Love bass BTW

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 16
Hey mastersheep

I have the ibasso P3 and the LDI+ out of those you listed. I don't have the HFI-780s though, I have the PRO900 and 2500 and those sound great with both of those amps.

I believe the 780s are 35ohm and the I+ sounds great with low impedance phones.

It would be up to you whether you go portable or not. In addition, the P3 sounds great with all the phones I throw at it...

Good luck

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 16
Hard to compare...
you are listing both portable and non portables...the price will be biased...

for portable, I believe Ibasso D3 will be the best just above 200..

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 16
The thing is I don't need it to be portable.
I just want ( of course ) the best i can get in this price range and I don't know how portable and full size amps compare since i do not have any experience with any kind of amp.
I was also considering the minibox E+ but though it wasn't available any more.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 16
Doesn't any one have one of these amps ?
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastersheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't any one have one of these amps ?
confused_face(1).gif

I either currently own or have owned two out of the three amps you listed. The one I suggested sounds better.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 16
I am currently in the burn-in process of a LD I+ w/ Sylvi Gold 408A's. So far, paired with my ALO HFI780, its very musical, lots of detail and good soundstage. Im sure it is gonna get better with more time on the tubes. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for your answers.
Does anyone know how the mini millet sounds and how it compares to the LDI+ ?
I am talking about the mini millet sold on whiplash ( since i do not have at all the time to build one )

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastersheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your answers.
Does anyone know how the mini millet sounds and how it compares to the LDI+ ?
I am talking about the mini millet sold on whiplash ( since i do not have at all the time to build one )

I don't know about the LDI+ but the Millett whiplash is selling has the same internal parts as the one I had built for my son, and it is very good even with my Edition 9. It is probably as good or better than my old Dark Voice 336i was, and almost as good (close) as my Head-direct EF1. You probably can't do better in a tube hybrid for the money. The tube hybrids seem to have better current output than a pure tube amp, so they still work with low-impedance current-sucking headphones like Grado, Denon and Ultrasone.

I don't have the HFI780 anymore, just the HFI700 and Edition 9, but I did try the HFI-780 with the Travagans Red amp that I previously recommended and they got along great. After I changed the opamps in the Travagans Red to AD743 (discontinued opamps I should say) it seemed like it was made for the Ultrasones. That is why I recommended it.

I did not have the Millett at the same time that I had the 780 so I can't comment about those specifically. However, the Millett will do well with a wider variety of headphones including Ultrasone, Grado, Denon, while sounding a little better than the Travagans with the 300 ohm HD600 or my 120 ohm orthodynamics or 600 ohm AKG K240M that crave a lot of power.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 16
I love my Millet!!!
It even sounds great with my PC into an Alien dac into the millet into my Adcom preamp into my Bryston amp driving my sub/sat speaker system
smily_headphones1.gif

Get it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back