What amp for DT 990 600 ohms?
Jul 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

unaverage

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. Maybe this will come off well to some of you but I am going to be giving up my Beats Studios after 3 years of use. I recently posted a complaint about bass distortion which ended up just being some dust interference but in the end, after much research, I want to upgrade. I've decided to go with the beyerdynamics DT 990 premium 600 ohms which I will be purchasing on their website using the Manufaktur customization option. In all, I'll probably be spending around $430 including shipping and taxes for the headphones. I plan on using these on my Asus G73 JH laptop as well as my iPhone 4 with Pandora songs, iTunes songs, youtube, general gaming, and eventually, some FLAC songs. Long story short, what amp should I get? I did some research and really like the FiiO e7 for both it's relatively fair price, nice look, and simplicity. Would this amp work well with the 600 ohms DT 990 premium or do I really need to spend more? If I could I'd really like to keep this all below $550 so if the e7 would work fine, I'd definitely go for it. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Get the o2+ODAC amp/dac combo. Was just literally released last week. Reviews say it comapres against amps/dacs that cost $1k and up. You can get the o2+odac combo for $300.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Get the o2+ODAC amp/dac combo. Was just literally released last week. Reviews say it comapres against amps/dacs that cost $1k and up. You can get the o2+odac combo for $300.

That's a little bit too high for me even though they seem to sound exceptional. With the speakers I'll be hitting around $420 whereby I'd need an amp that will keep me around my budget of $500 give or take a bit. Can anyone verify if the FiiO e7 will be good enough for these headphones or any other FiiO model (e9, e10), again, I don't need the best amplifier, just a good amplifier for them.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Muse single tube headphone amplifier ($65), sold on Amazon.
Assorted single tube headphone amplifiers sold on eBay, prices from $50 to $120.
The Indeed 6922 ($90) to me is one of the better ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back