What Amp/ DAC you will take with Fostex TH-X00?
Jan 8, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #31 of 83
Can only comment on my current setup but I prefer the O2+ODAC combo over my AuneT1 (7308 tube) with the TH-X00. I find the bass is a little quicker on the O2 while the tube amp bloats the mid bass a bit too much. That said I'd take the tubes over solid state for my DT880 any day of the week, so it's horses for courses.

F.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #34 of 83
  I'll have both a Schiit Vali 2 an a Project Starlight from Garage 1217 coming at me this month, so I'll be happy to let you guys know how the hybrid tubes fare with the Th X00 

Any update on this?

And any other thoughts on amp/DAC pairings with the X00s?

May 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #38 of 83
Don't have the X00's yet, but do have Denon AH-D2000 and am in on the MassDrop Purplehearts. Since I have the Purplehearts coming in the future and decided to get some harder to drive Fostex T50RP Mark III in the meantime, I just got my first headphone amp, like a few days ago. The Grace Design M9xx was one I looked into, but ultimately went with the Meier-Audio Corda JAZZ-ff because it was designed to power more difficult headphones, was interested in its Active Balanced ground driving setup and clean circuitry layout, I was just wanting an amp since my Yamaha DVD-S1800 has an excellent DAC section, and it was noticeably less expensive.

I tell you what, these AH-D2000's (which I've modded) sound excellent on the JAZZ-ff amp fed from the Yamaha DVD-S1800. First thing right off the bat is with the gain on low and volume knob all the way down it is already outputting sound at a decent volume with the AH-D2000's. Secondly, the phones have never sound this clear before, veil lifted and micro-details come out all over the place. Thirdly, the bass is just too much now, I can hear where the bass reproduction of the phones stumbles more easily now when driving them hard. The phones are not as tight and quick in bass as I thought they actually were before now, but man do they have some impact and more sub-bass! If the Purplehearts have 'less bass' but tighter response I will be extremely satisfied, the Denon AH-D2000's are kind of overbearing in bass when driven hard, great at low volume though.

May 9, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #39 of 83
  Pioneer XPA-700, found the power and the bass to be great but the mids a bit recessed.

Also tried it with the Fiio E07k, everything sounded a bit more mechanical.

I was planning on using the Fiio E07k for this so i was wondering what you exactly meant by mechanical. Is it a bad thing? Did it sound more boring? Neutral? More detail would be appreciated.

May 17, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #40 of 83
going to be using Fostex HP-A4!

May 17, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #41 of 83
My Schiit Vali 2 should be arriving today, but unfortunately my TH-X00s are still a couple of weeks out. I'm very much looking forward to experiencing the combo, and will post my impressions. I also have a Telsa E88CC tube coming from Lithuania that will arrive at some point. I'm very curious to hear how that alters the sound.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #43 of 83
  Anyone use the Parasound zdac v2 with these? Or have any suggestions on a warmer sounding dac amp combo?

I originally voted for Grace Design m9xx as the best amplifier I've heard thus far with the TH-X00. But if someone asked me for a warm choice, I would say JDS Labs The Element - plus it's a similarly nice design as the m9xx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back