What Amp and Dac
May 17, 2015 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

alpine62

New Head-Fier
Hi,

It's been a while since I purchased an amp and looking for a set up that allows me to mainly stream music through an amp and DAC.

I have very little experience with HIFI and bought at the time, a number of years ago, what sounded good to me. 

I currently have a Arcam FMJ A32 and Sonus Faber speakers, Concerto Domus. looking to upgrade the amp and keep the speakers.

I mainly listen nowadays to music via streaming service Spotify, I understand the quality of the stream is not as good as a CD but from what i'm reading a DAC should help improve this.

What would be a good Amp & Dac for such a set up, looking to send $2,000-$2,500

Thanks

May 17, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 13
No, just dome a quick search, would I be correct in saying this is just a dac for headphones, 

A DAC is for converting digital to audio, and a good one does it accurately. Doesn't matter what you are going to play back the audio on.

What are you using to stream spotify? Your computer? Phone (make/model?) And do you need a headphone amp? If so, for what kind of headphones?

May 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 13
No. The Hugo combines DAC and amp. It's true that some people use it just as a DAC, outputting to a separate amp, but it can be used on its own for both functions.

I think he's looking for a speaker amp, not a headphone amp, based on what the post says.

May 17, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 13
I think he's looking for a speaker amp, not a headphone amp, based on what the post says.

My bad - didn't read the whole post, was just responding to that one statement 
wink_face.gif

May 17, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the input, it would seem this not a topic that has an easy answer, I'll keep looking, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Can you answer this? :)

What are you using to stream spotify? Your computer? Phone (make/model?) And do you need a headphone amp? If so, for what kind of headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back