What accessory should I get to improve my audio experience?
Feb 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

IaHawkeye

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I'm fairly new here, I think today I've finally decided I'm going to order the custom JH audio Roxanne's (non CF). I currently use my IPhone 5 as my primary audio source playing music purchases from ITunes. I am not sure what audio quality the iTunes music is, but have been trying to do research. Is the iTunes downloads a propitiatory lossless format?

I'm seeking advice on how to get the most out of my music collection and Roxanne's I will be ordering. I am only looking to get one item at the moment to improve my audio experience, should I get a DAC or a amp? Or a audio player that's not my iPhone 5? I have heard a lot around here about the X5, but it appears not to be for sell in the US yet?

Or should I spend the money on some kind of DAC+ amp like the HP-P1? I'd like to keep my purchase under or around $500 at this time, as I am about to take the plunge on what I believe the most critical component is, the headphones.

I'd like whatever I get to improve my audio to be very portable and somewhat small. Please give me your input as this forum seems to be the best of the best of the most knwoedgable audiophiles! I am not very knowledgable about all this, but I like a strong thumping base with warm and detailed mid and highs, I listen to a lot of modern R&B with some rap and country, along with some oldies such as CCR, the Beatles, Michael Jackson and pink Flloyd, etc.

I look forward to hearing opinions, and thank you so much in advance!

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I think for what you're wanting right now, you should look into a portable amp. You said you use your iPhone 5 as a source, so I'm assuming you wouldn't want a desktop, stationary amp. Maybe you would like something that has a bass-boost switch on it for when you're thirsty for a little more bass in your rap or R&B. I currently use a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc and love every bit of it. It's smaller than the iPhone 5 so it straps to it pretty nicely. It also has a nice, subtle bass-boost option on it. It' doesn't rattle your brains by overdoing it, and I really like that. They go for fairly cheap too. I got mine off Amazon for $129 new, and it's very sturdy for the price, it's made of metal.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm also looking at the X3....all of this stuff is so confusing when you don't know a whole lot about it =\

Edit: just realized how much Hugo is, that's off the table. Lol

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 9
I think for what you're wanting right now, you should look into a portable amp. You said you use your iPhone 5 as a source, so I'm assuming you wouldn't want a desktop, stationary amp. Maybe you would like something that has a bass-boost switch on it for when you're thirsty for a little more bass in your rap or R&B. I currently use a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc and love every bit of it. It's smaller than the iPhone 5 so it straps to it pretty nicely. It also has a nice, subtle bass-boost option on it. It' doesn't rattle your brains by overdoing it, and I really like that. They go for fairly cheap too. I got mine off Amazon for $129 new, and it's very sturdy for the price, it's made of metal.

I had actually looked at that as well, but is it really that big of a upgrade? I had it in my shopping kart and almost ordered, then searched head-fi about it and was disappointed by the reviews :frowning2:

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 9
After reading some reviews of the "audiophile" MP3 players (X3 , DX 50, and X5 mainly) I'm starting to think I'm better off sticking with my iPhone 5 and am again looking at just getting a Amp instead of a dac or anything else...

So again I am looking at the Fiio E12, but am also possibly considering the HP-P1 and "the protector" bang for buck, how big is the difference between the E12 and the protector? Or am I completely heading in the wrong direction here?

I wish there was a way to test all this stuff in Iowa :frowning2:

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 9
If you're sticking with your iphone, I would consider this...docks/stacks better than anything else out there, and I was pretty impressed by the sound quality using my SE846's with it.  If they made one of the brackets for my phone, I would own one.  It's a DAC/Amp/phone charger all in one.

http://v-moda.com/vamp/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back