What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #14,026 of 14,564
Don't count on it...I predict Gumby will be knifed and be essentially replaced by "Less is More".

Predicted the death of Gugnir when Mjolnir was knifed - I think the Mjolnir/Gumby combo was just too much of an in-between product line to make much sense...
Gungnir MB is $1799 and the cheapest Yggdrasil is $2199. That's a big gap.

And the ass-like sound of sample-n-hold in Less-Is-More makes @Baldr sad, I think.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #14,028 of 14,564
Gungnir MB is $1799 and the cheapest Yggdrasil is $2199. That's a big gap.

And the ass-like sound of sample-n-hold in Less-Is-More makes @Baldr sad, I think.

That gap isn't so big when you taken into account the choke input power supply with distributed shunt regulation.

If that is indeed @Baldr 's opinion of the Less is More then maybe I'll stick with my Gumby after all.

:beerchug:
JC

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #14,029 of 14,564
No Gumby replacement? That's a pretty big price gap to go unfilled -- even with LIM. It's all speculation anyway -- on all our part. :D

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #14,030 of 14,564
Did @Baldr ever say that??? I don't recall any such statement.

Per my recollection:
* Jason was in the minority in liking the MIL version.
* 7 other variants were built, tried, and tossed
* Mike and I think Dave were able to identify which blinded DAC was which in 5 minutes ... which makes sense, they'd heard all 10 variants, and presumably it's extremely helpful if you are a Designer of DACs to be able to discern very subtle nuances in the output.

I also think, from everything that has ever been said, that Mike would not ever release a "sounds like ass" DAC at $99 or $199, let alone attached to the name of brand flagship, the Yggdrasil.

So based on the above, I believe that the release of both the LIM and the MIL versions of the Yggy to the public means that to Mike's ear, they're all good and worthy, but have differences that might appeal to different people, depending on their preferences, listening skills, other equipment, music, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #14,031 of 14,564
No Gumby replacement? That's a pretty big price gap to go unfilled -- even with LIM. It's all speculation anyway -- on all our part. :D
You are correct sir! Total speculation - but fun! :smile:

My *guess* (and it is totally that, a guess) is that Ygggy OG probably already outsells Gumby by a hefty margin, despite the higher price. Jason's decision to double down on cheaper Yggy options reinforces this in my mind. A slower selling, cheaper product (AKA Gumby) isn't gonna get a lot of love - especially as it's partner in crime (Mjolnir) has already left the building.

If Schiit announces a Mjolnir-type tube amp replacement I'd reconsider. But my guess is that the new Folkvanger (Fahrvergnügen?) tube amp is going to to be pitched as a tube option priced in the Raggy range...perfect match for Yggy variants...not Gumby.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #14,032 of 14,564
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #14,033 of 14,564
That gap isn't so big when you taken into account the choke input power supply with distributed shunt regulation.
There are people that cannot make the jump from Bifrost to Gungnir MB due to lack of coin. Can't imagine them making the jump from Bifrost to LIM.

Not saying the differences aren't worth it. Just that there needs to be something between $699 and $2199.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #14,034 of 14,564
There are people that cannot make the jump from Bifrost to Gungnir MB due to lack of coin. Can't imagine them making the jump from Bifrost to LIM.

Not saying the differences aren't worth it. Just that there needs to be something between $699 and $2199.
On Hot Live Schiit this afternoon, Jason was asked about Gungnir, and said that it was not going away.

He added that he'd like a V2, but that understandably hadn't been a top priority for Mike & crew lately.

He also noted that Gungnir has the same footprint as Freya (sells a lot), Loki Magnus and the Urd. And later on, said that Folkwanger (?sp) also has that footprint, although it is taller than the Freya.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #14,036 of 14,564

I think that's the point...there's probably very minimal benefit to jumping from Bifrost to Gugnir...most folks are going to be very happy with Bifrost. Jason admits that he has a Bifrost, not a Yggy or Gumby on his desk...

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #14,037 of 14,564
Maybe Jason has a small desk. :p

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #14,038 of 14,564
I think that's the point...there's probably very minimal benefit to jumping from Bifrost to Gugnir...most folks are going to be very happy with Bifrost.
There's a spectrum of buyers, each interested in certain price points. Regardless of the merits of another product at a different price point. Those looking to spend at Gungnir levels aren't going to look at a Bifrost.

Not everyone is interested in finding a product that "punches way above its price."

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #14,039 of 14,564
There's a spectrum of buyers, each interested in certain price points. Regardless of the merits of another product at a different price point. Those looking to spend at Gungnir levels aren't going to look at a Bifrost.

Not everyone is interested in finding a product that "punches way above its price."

I always look for the best value (punches way above its price) at my budget price point. If my budget is $300 or less I would get the Modi Multibit. If it is $700 or less I would get the Bifrost. If it is $1,500 or less I would get Gungnir. If my budget is $2,200 I would get the Yigg LIM. If I could stretch the budget to $2,600 the Yigg OG. Schiit products are great value and it is great to have them at as many price points as possible.

I figure Jason is quite capable to determine if it is worth it to Schiit to build something at a given price point and does not need advice from my armchair.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #14,040 of 14,564
Wow, talk about tin foil hat.

If I read the Yggdrasil Schiit Happened correctly, Mike said his favorite Yggdrasil was Less is More. I would be quite surprised if this statement of favor did not reflect sincerely held feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back