What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 4, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #13,982 of 14,564
The Slippery Slope from Science to Orthodoxy to Creed to Opinion

What do I sell in my D/A converters? The clear answer is science. Yup, absolutely. Seems that science is a continuously evolving corpus of verifiable and repeatable knowledge of physical universe events. Definitely what I build has been evolving for forty years.

But wait – I build what I want to. Hmmm… I just slid down the scale to opinion?? Damn. The problem for must of you out there is you depend on “experts” such as me to build D/A converters. So What is an expert? Someone who relies in science? Someone who has experience? Someone who puts on a good show solemnly intoning the right and only way? I figure it is the person who makes something people want.

Its a hubristic and arrogant step from science to orthodoxy, likewise to creed. Too often there is a revolving door between these classes, which results in a politic based on buddies and money. This was a problem for Copernicus. If the politic of his contemporary scientists and church figures had prevailed, we could still believe the sun revolved around the earth. In the current absence of church influence the orthodoxy and creed has tended to merge with the science (this is an observation, not a political or moral statement).

Now what I have in common with Mormons or the Orthodox Jewish is that I have a lot invested in my creed and opinion. If I build I build Schiit people don’t want I will eventually go hungry. After all, who wants to hire some neurally compromised curmudgeon?

So all I can do is build what I like. Exactly what I do. But I can’t do it without you. So thanks, really.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 4, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #13,983 of 14,564

What do I sell in my D/A converters? The clear answer is science. Yup, absolutely. Seems that science is a continuously evolving corpus of verifiable and repeatable knowledge of physical universe events. Definitely what I build has been evolving for forty years.

But wait – I build what I want to. Hmmm… I just slid down the scale to opinion?? Damn. The problem for must of you out there is you depend on “experts” such as me to build D/A converters. So What is an expert? Someone who relies in science? Someone who has experience? Someone who puts on a good show solemnly intoning the right and only way? I figure it is the person who makes something people want.

Its a hubristic and arrogant step from science to orthodoxy, likewise to creed. Too often there is a revolving door between these classes, which results in a politic based on buddies and money. This was a problem for Copernicus. If the politic of his contemporary scientists and church figures had prevailed, we could still believe the sun revolved around the earth. In the current absence of church influence the orthodoxy and creed has tended to merge with the science (this is an observation, not a political or moral statement).

Now what I have in common with Mormons or the Orthodox Jewish is that I have a lot invested in my creed and opinion. If I build I build Schiit people don’t want I will eventually go hungry. After all, who wants to hire some neurally compromised curmudgeon?

So all I can do is build what I like. Exactly what I do. But I can’t do it without you. So thanks, really.
You are welcome. For what it is worth.

I thank you as well. I have been listening to your DACs for half my life and still have a Cobalt 307 sitting on my desk at work. I thank you every time I listen to it

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #13,984 of 14,564

I thank you for your DACs. What I have of yours sounds like music. Other stuff I've heard sounds cold and lifeless but "measures much better."

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #13,985 of 14,564
So What is an expert? Someone who relies in science? Someone who has experience? Someone who puts on a good show solemnly intoning the right and only way? I figure it is the person who makes something people want.

The expert in the room is someone who knows more about the topic being discussed than the rest. That’s no guarantee of knowing it all. Using expertise as irrefutable authority… well… doesn’t seem to work in the long run :gs1000smile:

Sounds good! (Pun intended)

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #13,986 of 14,564
I thank you and I am also thankful that what you like appears to be what I like, too! Thanks, again!

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #13,988 of 14,564
Geez, that’s very kind Mike.

Thanks to you and Schiit, I have the gift of enjoying music with a quality I never thought I would attain.
I concur with this.

The first time I listened to my new Gungnir MB DAC back some years ago, I was completely floored. It was a revelation for me.

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #13,990 of 14,564
Less is more (see tomorrow)
I've got a feeling that "Less is more" is going to be upsetting to the ASR crowd.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #13,991 of 14,564
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #13,993 of 14,564
Well, I may have come into a little discretionary income. While the Freya S is tempting, I would also need an amp. @Baldr, you have most certainly peaked my interest as a cost frustrated Yggy owner wanna-be. "Less is More" may finally be the Yggy for me, more or less. 😀

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back