What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 17, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #13,651 of 14,564
Would used Oppo blu-ray drives be worth looking at? Or would the lack of service make them inadvisable?
I wouldn't hesitate buying a lightly used 103 or 105. The Cambridge BRD player is quite nice as well.

May 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #13,652 of 14,564
I was answering tongue in cheek but also being serious that I don't care if my rip is the same as everyone else's. I just want the music.
I don't care if they're exactly the same or not, but I do care if they have audible defects. If they match everyone else's rips, odds are very good there won't be any audible issues. The accuraterip db is a quick way to verify that without having to listen to every second of ripped audio at the time of ripping.

May 17, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #13,653 of 14,564
I don't care if they're exactly the same or not, but I do care if they have audible defects. If they match everyone else's rips, odds are very good there won't be any audible issues. The accuraterip db is a quick way to verify that without having to listen to every second of ripped audio at the time of ripping.
Well then there ya go. :)

May 17, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #13,656 of 14,564
May 17, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #13,657 of 14,564
I snagged a Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060 and have really liked it’s sound. They aren’t as readily available but they have a digital out and balanced outs for DSD (I don’t use it but it’s there). I would also just recommend one of the newer Sony 4K players. Again, they can handle SACD if that tickles your fancy.

May 17, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #13,658 of 14,564
I tried out a Sony UBP-X800M2 end of last year (black friday sale for $199), testing both coax and toslink into Bifrost OG. didn't sound as good as my aging Sony NS500V though. also the X800M2 does not have a front panel display (relies on connected HDMI display). tried both the stock UBP firmware and the updated one off Sony's website-- no improvement to the audio in my setup.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #13,659 of 14,564
Would used Oppo blu-ray drives be worth looking at? Or would the lack of service make them inadvisable?
OPPO continues to offer repair services for their players. Something like $95 flat fee: https://www.oppodigital.com/Out-of-Warranty-Service.aspx
One of the reasons they are so beloved.

I own 3 OPPOs: 103, 2x203. Got the 103 used. Those things and the cockroaches will be all that survive. I hope cockroaches enjoy good UHD Operas :-D

HST, OPPOs are comparable to any other UHD disc player as a UHD disc player - very little secret sauce there. Where they excel is in reading almost every kind of disc there is and in playing ripped media. They can access media over DLNA, SMB, NFS and probably some other things (telepathy, sadly, no).

May 17, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #13,660 of 14,564
I've had a 103 since new and have used it both as a transport and to play FLACs thru the USB inputs. It has been very reliable so far. I haven't tried outputting into my external DAC though. How much better is a Modi or Modius compared to the internal DAC?

May 18, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #13,661 of 14,564
No USB involved anywhere. Server -> ethernet -> laptop -> ethernet -> streamer. Other path was server->ethernet->streamer.
Yikes. What server software/protocol are you using? Could there be cable issues? Depending on protocol and wiring, there's the possibility that packet losses/retransmits could affect the streamer's ability to reproduce a good quality audio stream. I use Roon, which gives up pretty aggressively if there are any networking issues, but other protocols might try to "recover" and miss a few samples here and there.

May 18, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #13,662 of 14,564
I was answering tongue in cheek but also being serious that I don't care if my rip is the same as everyone else's. I just want the music.
Ditto...never check the accuracy. Just let her Rip and then listen! :beerchug:

May 18, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #13,664 of 14,564

OPPO continues to offer repair services for their players. Something like $95 flat fee: https://www.oppodigital.com/Out-of-Warranty-Service.aspx
One of the reasons they are so beloved.

I own 3 OPPOs: 103, 2x203. Got the 103 used. Those things and the cockroaches will be all that survive. I hope cockroaches enjoy good UHD Operas :-D

HST, OPPOs are comparable to any other UHD disc player as a UHD disc player - very little secret sauce there. Where they excel is in reading almost every kind of disc there is and in playing ripped media. They can access media over DLNA, SMB, NFS and probably some other things (telepathy, sadly, no).

Ah, $95 is not bad for the flat fee. My understanding is that that is for them to look at it and then they will reach out if the cost is more than that to confirm if you want to go forward or not. Regardless, $95 to send it in is not bad at all. I just need to stop being lazy and submit the ticket... and also figure out how best to package and send the thing.

(For those curious, the BDP-83 had a known issue where if there was no disc in the tray, it would sometimes fail due to a part being out of place and blocking the tray. The cheap remedy for this is to always have a disc in the tray when you close it, which is what I have been doing. However, mine has also started to fail to recognize a disc when it closes and then then it pushes the tray out again. And there has been a whirring sound during some playback which is another thing out of whack so... it definitely needs to go in)

May 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #13,665 of 14,564
The 103 is about the same cost as the transport - would it be frivolous to get both?
In reality they serve two different purposes. The Urd transport will play music CDs only, while the Oppo is a multi-disc player designed specifically for HD video playback that can also be used to play music CDs. The transport is a single-speed single-purpose device. The Oppo (or any other BRD player) is designed to do many things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back