What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #13,531 of 14,563
You could buy 3 Yggdrasils, one board in each, for less than one of those milled out of a billet of aluminum DACs. And have change left over from your $10K bill.
Now what have you started?
Now Schiit will have the 3-pack order available...

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #13,532 of 14,563
Now what have you started?
Now Schiit will have the 3-pack order available...

For some people, this could be a more affordable & practical alternative to chasing the ever-elusive tube nirvana.

And provides a new answer to the age-old question: What stacks well with an Yggy?
A: Two more Yggies.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #13,535 of 14,563
There are people here that sure can build such a thing.
The question is... how to shield the thing against noise.
Yggdrasil with new input / umbilicals to Gungnir sized "card" external boxes.

There are certainly examples (eg dCS DAC/clocks) of multi-boxes for DACs including DAC, clock, power, etc.

I think this thought experiment gets beyond the traditional Schiit Audio value proposition, but still fun to speculate about.

1618931925894.png

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #13,536 of 14,563
Yggdrasil with new input / umbilicals to Gungnir sized "card" external boxes.

There are certainly examples (eg dCS DAC/clocks) of multi-boxes for DACs including DAC, clock, power, etc.

I think this thought experiment gets beyond the traditional Schiit Audio value proposition, but still fun to speculate about.

1618931925894.png
Better one box to house all three cards and the selector switch.
Doesn't even sound that difficult if one is trained for electronics.

So let's do some bartering.
You make me such a box and I'll do some surgery for you.
(via Zoom)

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #13,537 of 14,563
Better one box to house all three cards and the selector switch.
Doesn't even sound that difficult if one is trained for electronics.

So let's do some bartering.
You make me such a box and I'll do some surgery for you.
(via Zoom)
I suspect if Schiit made it there would be buyers.

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #13,539 of 14,563
A question for anyone who might know the answer.

I have a very small number of CD’s that while playing I suddenly get a 1 second or less drop out on the sound or some other spurious noise. I bought a second copy of the most recent CD to exhibit this and the issues happen at the same spots on each. It happens with my $500 player/transport and my $800 transport only. Yet it plays on the crappy, stock CD player in my car as well as a $30 GPX Walkman type CD player and a 20+ year old Mitsubishi player I keep in the basement. I don’t get it.

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #13,540 of 14,563
Going out on a limb here, but it could be due to...

Capture.JPG

(Have I mentioned that I am seeking help for my lack of impulse control?) :smirk:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #13,541 of 14,563
But, I are one!

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #13,542 of 14,563
A question for anyone who might know the answer.

I have a very small number of CD’s that while playing I suddenly get a 1 second or less drop out on the sound or some other spurious noise. I bought a second copy of the most recent CD to exhibit this and the issues happen at the same spots on each. It happens with my $500 player/transport and my $800 transport only. Yet it plays on the crappy, stock CD player in my car as well as a $30 GPX Walkman type CD player and a 20+ year old Mitsubishi player I keep in the basement. I don’t get it.
Most likely there is an output mute relay on the player that activates on loss of signal, and the gap between tracks on the CD is too short (or perhaps too long depending on how the circuit is designed) for the relay to re-activate when the next track begins. Try selecting the track manually and see if it plays.

The cheaper players lack an output mute relay.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #13,543 of 14,563
By the way, in my opinion the idea of a system housing all the various output cards for Yggdrasil (if they come to fruition) so a user can switch between them and see what they sound like seems like a great device to demo them at the Schittr or at trade shows. But not a very practical thing for a home user. Or at least not for THIS home user. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back