What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 18, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #13,516 of 14,564
Is there going to be more of a 'description/explanation' of the differences between these 3 different boards?

IOW how are we to know which we might want to use?

JJ

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #13,518 of 14,564
Not in any sort of 'traditional' "tube rolling" sorta way, as in 'plug and pray'.

The case needs to be opened up and 2 big boards swapped out along with a f/w chip.
This is not a big deal for anyone who has 'electronic technical chops', but I'm sure as (is) Schiit, that all onus is upon the 'installer' in terms of warranty/doa issues etc.

Here is an extreme example for sure, but Many years ago a single board was pulled from an electronic device while it was still plugged in.
It blew EVERY chip in the entire unit (as in several hundred CMOS TTL chips) did I mention this was Many years ago?

And all it takes is to blow just one IC…

Just say'n is all…

yggy-pcb-1920.jpg

JJ :flushed: :ksc75smile:

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #13,519 of 14,564
Definitely the classical for me. I'm not that fussy about non-classical genres. Or the .000000000000.......... stuff. Whoever attempts to review the 3 different "sounds" will have their work cut out for them.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #13,520 of 14,564
I listen to way too many genres to settle onto one that's really good for one thing. Maybe the measuring one is for me in that case.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #13,521 of 14,564
Not in any sort of 'traditional' "tube rolling" sorta way, as in 'plug and pray'.

The case needs to be opened up and 2 big boards swapped out along with a f/w chip.
This is not a big deal for anyone who has 'electronic technical chops', but I'm sure as (is) Schiit, that all onus is upon the 'installer' in terms of warranty/doa issues etc.

Here is an extreme example for sure, but Many years ago a single board was pulled from an electronic device while it was still plugged in.
It blew EVERY chip in the entire unit (as in several hundred CMOS TTL chips) did I mention this was Many years ago?

Just say'n is all…

yggy-pcb-1920.jpg

Oh dear I am sorry that happened to you

And yes, even as someone with some electrical work experience, I am still all for easier replacement systems cos I prefer to have less chances of messing up

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #13,523 of 14,564
A post that deals with Yggy alt-analog boards:

Yup we’re making them. I don’t know the price, since I’m still trying to make up lost time from last year. We are releasing at least two. They are alternates or sidewaysgrades where opinion has been split. It is a way to add garlic, if you love garlic, or a way to add curry if you hate curry. Dave’s fave is different than mine. If you like classical and jazz you will probably like my fave. If you like classic rock and music chronologically through grunge, you will like Dave’s. If you touch yourself obscenely when you look at almost certainly inaudible, yet thoroughly second to none measurements, you will like the third one. (Please understand one of the boards referred to is the stock board.) Lotsa fun. Seriously!!
I see your dark agenda. A true audiophile will be compelled to own one of each :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #13,526 of 14,564

Just say'n is all…

yggy-pcb-1920.jpg

May need an external case for 2 extra boards with umbilical to Yggdrasil to "roll" them more easily -- and with indicators of course.
Ygg1
Ygg2
Ygg3 (original A2)

???

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #13,527 of 14,564

Just say'n is all…

yggy-pcb-1920.jpg

I don't think I want to open up my Yggy again, having already done so twice to install the Unison USB Board- first time it didn't work, but fortunately, second time it did :relaxed:

I hope I can 'add garlic' as Mike put it, with the Loki Max when it is available.

Right now, I think my standard YggyA2 sounds just great, so I have no need to add any garlic, but I love the way Mike is constantly looking for other ways to enhance what are already superb products :beyersmile:
Great to see you back Mike, and on such good form!

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #13,528 of 14,564
If you like classical and jazz you will probably like my fave.
Well, I find classical and jazz to require more attention to detail. I mean, how many 60s-70s-80s rock albums are audiophile quality? (I say this as I peruse The Absolute Sounds Super LP list in my <ahem> private reading room).

One of the reasons I buy Schiit is because I trust the ears of @Baldr and @Jason Stoddard as mine failed the assembly line tests.
If @Baldr says "my fav" that's the one for me.

Been waiting for the Yggy upgrade to upgrade my Gumby. A bit nervous about the Yggy's less romantic sound as bandied about the Interwebz.

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #13,529 of 14,564
I play nearly every genre of music through my Yggdrasil, from rock to hip hop to pop to country to classical to jazz to prog to punk to little girls with guitars and old men growling. It sounds great with everything I have ever thrown at it. If I need to customize the sound to suit a selection, that's what EQ is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back