What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 3, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #12,826 of 14,564
I hate to bring it up here, but I'd need the 1100's analog outputs, for (SACD) support. Otherwise, it's digital connections would route through Schiit DACs.
i'm currently using an NS500V SACD player via coax S/PDIF to a Bifrost MB OG which works when playing 2-channel SACD's as well. (DSD 2.8 is the same bitrate as 16/44, so its performing some sort of conversion, maybe clocking the DSD stream into a 16-bit counter and outputting a sample at 44.1 rate). I don't know if also applies to the X800 or X1100 series. for HT multi-channel, best to route via analog outputs or HDMI if you have a decoding receiver.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #12,827 of 14,564
its not like im broke iv just spent a grand on books from some american ... but the electicity not quite up and running in the compound at the moment : ) and im thinking of spending some money 💵💸 on a battery powered portable dac amp compact thing 🎰 .. this is the one i like the sony pha ... anybody got any advice if i should go for the one two or three ... i dont like a over hyped sound cds do enough infomation for me thanks : ) and i see you can use balanced earphones on these , my balanced hd 800s cable doesent look like it will fit , whats that all about 🍒🍑🍅 .... im gonna message on the portable side of head fi to ... looking for the most bang for my buck secondhand 🇯🇵🔫🇺🇸

Aug 3, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #12,831 of 14,564
this is the way id build it ... a slot for say six panasonic rechardable batterys , say two by three .. a plug in charger that can charge em quickly and a usb charger that accepts all amps ... put all intresting stuff on top , keep it simple and just add volume knob ... and then when batterys start to fade after a year or so a big screw flip it open and put in some new panasonics ... schitt could build some thing like that easy

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #12,835 of 14,564
i'm currently using an NS500V SACD player via coax S/PDIF to a Bifrost MB OG which works when playing 2-channel SACD's as well. (DSD 2.8 is the same bitrate as 16/44, so its performing some sort of conversion, maybe clocking the DSD stream into a 16-bit counter and outputting a sample at 44.1 rate). I don't know if also applies to the X800 or X1100 series. for HT multi-channel, best to route via analog outputs or HDMI if you have a decoding receiver.

You sure the preferences in the SACD player menu, haven't been set to output PCM instead of DSD? Many (most) players allow that, in order to support hi-res audio playback, from a system that can't decode DSD. One of the reasons I'm interested in the Sony X1100. With it's internal decoding, and analog outs, I could listen to a DSD stream, without any extra conversions done prior to output. While I could run HDMI to my AVR, I don't think it handles DSD? Something I could test, I suppose, with a spare player, before buying a new piece of gear?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #12,836 of 14,564
You sure the preferences in the SACD player menu, haven't been set to output PCM instead of DSD? Many (most) players allow that, in order to support hi-res audio playback, from a system that can't decode DSD. One of the reasons I'm interested in the Sony X1100. With it's internal decoding, and analog outs, I could listen to a DSD stream, without any extra conversions done prior to output. While I could run HDMI to my AVR, I don't think it handles DSD? Something I could test, I suppose, with a spare player, before buying a new piece of gear?
DSD support over HDMI was added in revision 1.2 or 1.3. Your receiver's manual should probably list the supported HDMI audio standards.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #12,837 of 14,564
DSD support over HDMI was added in revision 1.2 or 1.3. Your receiver's manual should probably list the supported HDMI audio standards.

It's a Yamaha RX-A3030. The manual states 1.4 HDMI. Plus, an old review I found claims it'll play 2 channel DSD via HDMI. So, I think it's time for some experimentation. Now, if I could get rid of the cable ground loop hum, when I patch it into my Saga, for HT passthrough, I'd be really happy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back