What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 11, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #12,707 of 14,564
This is part of the reason I just ordered a Bifrost 2 instead of a Gungnir MB (well, there's no Black, so that's the MAJOR reason I wouldn't order one of those) or a Yggdrasil...

yggy GS available in both silver and black. (and wouldn't be paying for Analog 2 boards only to be replaced by the "sidegrades") downsides are the GS costs over twice that of Bifrost 2, and no remote control.

there was a c-stock Gungnir MB listed (albeit gen 5 USB) that would have been perfect for the Earl Scheib treatment, but its gone now.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #12,708 of 14,564
Those of you avoiding Yggdrasil because you are afraid of future upgrades are missing out. And besides, the DAC is upgradable so if anything comes out in the future that yu want you can get it.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #12,709 of 14,564
Yeah... my post was taken a bit out of context. re: beer (if anyone even caught that or my orig reply playing around with @Ableza and @Baldr ) -- Yggy is a serious piece of hardware as is, one aspect: the 19 local power supplies alone would elevate ANY properly designed dac. Schiit drops hints anyway.

@yonson knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #12,710 of 14,564
Those of you avoiding Yggdrasil because you are afraid of future upgrades are missing out. And besides, the DAC is upgradable so if anything comes out in the future that yu want you can get it.

For work I am mostly away from home these days (and currently away from home 4-1/2 months due to COVID-19) so I don't listen to my speaker set often. My current set-up with the convenient but good Devialet DAC/amplifier suits me well because of that. But if I were to buy a separate DAC, the way the Yggdrasil sounds (as best described in the review in The Absolute Sound) is exactly my taste. So I wouldn't have to think twice...

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #12,711 of 14,564
I’ve just googled “spherical cow” and learned something new today :)
Few people have heard of spherical cows because they are very uncommon. Dairy farmers can't sell their milk because it doesn't fit into the common rectangular boxes.

Attachments

• moon cow.jpg
    moon cow.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 12, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #12,712 of 14,564
There will likely be a Unison 2 at some point as it is limited to 24/192. Perhaps when the Yggy is updated so that the 8x light is on with DXD resolution. Not anytime soon though.
That is excatly the reason there WON'T be a Unison2. There is NO information in more bits or more samples.
Mike wrote in one of his recent posts they were struggling with high sample rates and high bit rates on the sending side of Unison USB and there is no reason for them to be used.
In digital audio it is NOT like with a car, more HP is more power. More bits and and or more samples per seconds doesn't need to mean better sound at all.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #12,713 of 14,564
That is excatly the reason there WON'T be a Unison2. There is NO information in more bits or more samples.
Mike wrote in one of his recent posts they were struggling with high sample rates and high bit rates on the sending side of Unison USB and there is no reason for them to be used.
In digital audio it is NOT like with a car, more HP is more power. More bits and and or more samples per seconds doesn't need to mean better sound at all.

+1 that 24-bit linear sample bit depth is sufficient as this is > 130 dB (almost 140dB) dynamic range. although parts of the ear have been shown to respond to frequencies as high as about 100kHz, (and continuous sine waves audible to ~20kHz) commercially available transducers are limited to about 40kHz, so 192kHz sampling is sufficient.

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #12,714 of 14,564
Solti Ring on kse is granular and intense, but on k1000 is broad and truly thrilling

made nel drip this morning. It was good! First time I used James Hoffman’s advice and just did it like a pour over. Then I used James Freeman’s advice and doubled the dose, loosened grind to French press, and lowered temp to 79 degrees C. Much better with the latter approach. I want to keep exploring with this method. Cloth retains clarity of paper but with the richness of the oils retained and no hint of paper taste.

I am looking for a suitable “soft bristle” Brush to prepare the nel every day but haven’t found one yet.

interested in siphon someday - thank god there are zero emissions burners.https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/bgst-350u

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #12,715 of 14,564
made nel drip this morning.
Never heard of it and had to look it up. For the uninitiated, here's a quick explanation of the concept from Reddit:

The idea behind it is to obtain a concentrated brew of severely underextracted coffee, this can be done on any method, it's just that the author and owner of Blue Bottle happened to try it on a Nel while in Japan.

Why would you underextract coffee? well, depending on roast, and origin, some people find that those flavors represent the best that such particular coffee has to offer, hence why only extract that bit but in a very concentrated strength to perceive them more.

You could say this is a kind of "ristretto" for brew coffee, a similar approach won this year's World Aeropress Championship (low temp, overdose, short time: YouTube)

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #12,716 of 14,564
Yeah... my post was taken a bit out of context. re: beer (if anyone even caught that or my orig reply playing around with @Ableza and @Baldr ) -- Yggy is a serious piece of hardware as is, one aspect: the 19 local power supplies alone would elevate ANY properly designed dac. Schiit drops hints anyway.

@yonson knows what he's doing.

Yeah, the upgrade/update is mostly about Gungnir, Yggdrasil would just be a card etc... but even then I'd hate to buy one and there be an update within a few months that I missed out on by waiting. BF2 is still quite new and any updates for them won't require going back to the mothership (I'm capable of doing updates on Gungnir/Yggdrasil myself, but if they require firmware changes, it'd still have to go back) so I'm basically taking the safe route, this way when a new/updated Gungnir comes out I can get one of those (IF it's available in Black, if not total deal breaker)...

Jul 13, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #12,718 of 14,564
As a wise man once said: not getting what you need now because you are afraid of missing the next big thing means you will never have what you need. :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #12,720 of 14,564
With Yggy A2 and Unison I don’t feel the need to update or upgrade my DAC ever again.

I think I may have made the "I don't need to upgrade" statement a few times myself - never seemed to work out that way. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back