What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #10,531 of 14,564
I don't camp for precisely this reason.

Keurig &co are double failures - first, because they grind the coffee months before it will be drunk. You ought ideally to grind filter coffee no more than 20 minutes before you make your coffee — certainly after one week it is irretrievably stale — for espresso, taste begins to degrade after 90 seconds, and after a quarter hour you should throw it out and begin again. Pod coffee, like all preground coffee, will never exceed bare mediocrity, and that is if it began as the greatest coffee on planet Earth.

I would agree with that assessment.

May 20, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #10,532 of 14,564
You don't do camp? Could have fooled me there.
Plastic, even when placed in the "recycle bin" is extremely difficult to recycle, and the vast majority is thrown away. It is particularly unkind to our oceans and wildlife to insist that as part of our daily ritual we should be generating more plastic when we could take a moment or two extra to grind the coffee (or even have it preground!) from a package made of paper or some other recyclable/compostable material.
Yes, yes, yes... It's good to underscore this. Too many people think it's a hoax against better knowledge.

May 20, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #10,533 of 14,564
Yeah I have one of those too, but Blue with white flecks. It's about 25 years old (from when I was a Boy Scout) and takes forever to make coffee that is pretty crappy IMO.

On the bright side it makes 2-3times more coffee, but then the jet boil can be used probably 4-5 times before the percolator pot is done once.
Unless you use an enameled percolator, how can you pretend that you are kicking back with Charles Phillip Ingalls and Mr. Edwards on a journey to Mankato?

May 20, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #10,535 of 14,564

Keurig &co are double failures - first, because they grind the coffee months before it will be drunk. You ought ideally to grind filter coffee no more than 20 minutes before you make your coffee — certainly after one week it is irretrievably stale — for espresso, taste begins to degrade after 90 seconds, and after a quarter hour you should throw it out and begin again. Pod coffee, like all preground coffee, will never exceed bare mediocrity, and that is if it began as the greatest coffee on planet Earth.

Second, the pods are environmental disasters. I applaud @Baldr and @Jason Stoddard for emphasis on aluminum and other recyclable materials in their products. Plastic, even when placed in the "recycle bin" is extremely difficult to recycle, and the vast majority is thrown away. It is particularly unkind to our oceans and wildlife to insist that as part of our daily ritual we should be generating more plastic when we could take a moment or two extra to grind the coffee (or even have it preground!) from a package made of paper or some other recyclable/compostable material.

There are eco-friendly alternatives to the Keurig cups that are biodegrade, and contain organic coffee. Two pluses for those who go that route.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #10,536 of 14,564
May 20, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #10,537 of 14,564
nice find.

I need to get more serious about composting - SF has the green bins, but having trash recycling *and compost* is a bridge I haven't yet crossed.

May 21, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #10,539 of 14,564
This is not hyperbole. I have also experienced a few of them.
Friends from South Africa only keep Nescafe in the house (bothers me not a bit).

May 21, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #10,540 of 14,564
I might just bring my trusty stainless steel dripper, scale, and filters. If I have to suffer through inferior pouring action, so be it. Taking my pillows and Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oatmeal with me (several kilos of the stuff) are more important.

Hopefully I can get some bags of coffee from the various roasters there - bonanza, populus, five elephant - and try them myself at home. The electric kettle, I'm told, does not have the swan neck, but I think I can make do.

And I'm definitely taking a snazzy opera outfit — with a skinny black tie. Storing KSE1500 in my jacket pocket may be a challenge, but I'm on vacation and I don't want to deal with AirPods. Certainly not on the U-Bahn.

May 21, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #10,541 of 14,564
Unless you use an enameled percolator, how can you pretend that you are kicking back with Charles Phillip Ingalls and Mr. Edwards on a journey to Mankato?
I prefer to pretend I'm voyaging up river to the inner station to see a Mr. Kurtz.

May 21, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #10,543 of 14,564
May 21, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #10,544 of 14,564
Similar to the old timer stories about having to walk 10 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways....

But back in the day while backpacking I used to make sock coffee. Boil water near the fire in your metal cup and put grounds in a clean sock. Put the sock in the water like a tea bag. It got better the more seasoned the sock became from repeated use. It was a good, lightweight solution. Nowadays there are expensive ultralight gizmos to do this. We liked our sock coffee. It was good and strong, with some bonus sediment.

May 21, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #10,545 of 14,564
Those percolators actually can make some pretty good coffee.

Indeed. I used this method at my place until I bought (as a middle solution between this and a real espresso maker) a Nespresso machine.

In many Italian homes this is still the standard way to make coffee (not every family in Italy has an espresso machine at home)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back