What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 25, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #10,291 of 14,564
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #10,292 of 14,564
Been awhile since @Baldr posted. Looking forward to what the analog half of Schiit is up to.
Wait, wasn't Mr. Stoddard the analog dude, and Mr. Hunter's the digital man (from his Soviet Of Sound)? I've been educating myself about 2-channel, amplifier design. Christ Almighty, I have no clue how their brains don't explode with those schematics. And the wiring. Holy. Phuck (it's a different make/model, but the intricacies are [I bet] the same). :)

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #10,293 of 14,564
Rhubarb whisky sour is another good one - 2 parts whisky, 1 part rhubarb simple syrup, 1 part lemon or lime juice, with a lemon or lime twist. We've got a great rhubarb plant at the Landhaus in Venice (technically at a community garden in Mar Vista) and I grab 10 lbs of rhubarb when I'm down there, chop it up, boil it with a bunch of sugar, strain it, jar it, and bring it back to my freezer here in the bay. It keeps indefinitely.

You might try adding an egg white and shaking the mixture up (before adding ice).
I have it on good authority that egg white is the key to a great whiskey sour, eh @kilkil :)

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #10,294 of 14,564
Rhubarb whisky sour is another good one - 2 parts whisky, 1 part rhubarb simple syrup, 1 part lemon or lime juice, with a lemon or lime twist. We've got a great rhubarb plant at the Landhaus in Venice (technically at a community garden in Mar Vista) and I grab 10 lbs of rhubarb when I'm down there, chop it up, boil it with a bunch of sugar, strain it, jar it, and bring it back to my freezer here in the bay. It keeps indefinitely.

Making a simple sauce out of rhubarb, strawberries & sugar makes one hell of a great topping for vanilla ice cream...or just eaten by itself. My parent's house had four rhubarb plants so we were lousy with the stuff and did not care. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #10,295 of 14,564
You might try adding an egg white and shaking the mixture up (before adding ice).
I have it on good authority that egg white is the key to a great whiskey sour, eh @kilkil :)

I love the foamy-ness that the egg white adds. I need to seek out some rhubarb.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #10,297 of 14,564
I thought Mike headed up the design of the Mani and the Sol? Also when people ask Jason about the new turntable, he always refers them to Mike....Am I missing something?
You are correct that Mike is in charge of the Sol (but not Mani). Mike designs digital electronics and Jason designs analog electronics.

Apr 26, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #10,298 of 14,564
Found a new Wagner tenor. Love him in the Wintersturme. The way he delays the vibrato at 2:40 is expert.

But his Schmiedelied...I'm still not sure whether it's potent enough. It's marginally stronger than Rene Kollo, but nowhere near a Vickers.

Will be seeing Andreas's Tristan thrice in Berlin.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #10,299 of 14,564
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #10,300 of 14,564
I love the foamy-ness that the egg white adds. I need to seek out some rhubarb.
Whitley-Neill’s rhubarb and ginger gin is the bomb for a great GT (coming to CA soon, I have it on good authority)...

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #10,301 of 14,564
Found a new Wagner tenor. Love him in the Wintersturme. The way he delays the vibrato at 2:40 is expert.

But his Schmiedelied...I'm still not sure whether it's potent enough. It's marginally stronger than Rene Kollo, but nowhere near a Vickers.

Will be seeing Andreas's Tristan thrice in Berlin.

Nope. Schager is plenty loud and has impressive stamina but for me, I’ll skip a performance if he’s singing. When he’s up there, it’s not Wagner.

Maybe that’s a bit harsh and I should say it more tactfully but I *do have fairly strong feelings about this one.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #10,305 of 14,564
Bifrost question. The Schiit site says it sometimes clicks between songs. Is this an electronic click through the speakers or a mechanical click inside the unit?
Thanks
It is a only a mechanical click 90% of the time. On my brand new Bimby I can hear a soft click through the headphones as well as the mechanical relay click when switching from 44 or 48kHz to 96 or 192 kHz. According to the Schiit tech support it is perfectly ok as long as it is not a big thump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back