What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 16, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #7,922 of 14,564
Fractured both elbows yesterday en route to work by bike (see my twitter for pics, lol), and got four stitches in my chin to boot, so probably not doing much hifi for the time being. Looking like I will make it to Amsterdam in late June though...
Ooh, that's nasty.
If in The Netherlands and interested I'll make you coffee.

May 16, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #7,923 of 14,564
May 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #7,924 of 14,564
Agreed. I just wanted to show the current product. Plus the $6K price was more dramatic!! :D

May 17, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #7,925 of 14,564
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #7,926 of 14,564
So there are three versions of the 2012 remastering of the solti ring--the cd only, the bluray only, and the deluxe with both. People seem to think the Blu Ray is the best, but you either need to get it straight into the DAC with a coax/optical out of a player (which might be hard if there's a perfunctory navigation menu that requires a screen to follow) or a way to get it into a computer. What're the prospects for getting a blu ray disc to play on an iMac via an external drive? Should I just get the cd only set and call it a day?

I ripped one of the transfers while in college but at an abysmal 256kbps and inexplicably neglected the Götterdämmerung prelude.

May 17, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #7,927 of 14,564
I've been thinking about a Schiit CD player while hiking my dogs this morning so instead of just lurking on this thread I thought I'd add my observations/opinion. My $1000 Marantz universal disc player recently bit the dust when the loading tray failed. I took it apart to clean it from potential dog hair build up and was surprised at how cheap the mechanism was made with all plastic gears and a flimsy belt. It had already stopped playing SACDs so I only used it for the few BluRay audio discs in my collection and fallen back on an old Oppo universal DVD player for CDs, DVDA and SACD. This prompted me to start selling BluRay and even some of my SACDs that I never listen to on eBay. My plan was to buy HDTracks downloads to replace them but I started down the rabbit hole of dynamic range research and realized that with my EITR and Modi Multibit, CDs sounded as good if not better than high resolution downloads. So now I am on a buying spree of used CDs which brings me to my interest in a Schiit CD player.

The earlier post about slot loading being possibly more robust seems like a good observation. I really like the idea of a Bifrost case size CD player with a slot loader and built in Multibit DAC complete with USB connection for computer sources. If that product is a success than maybe have a YGGDRASIL sized case with Gumby or better Multibit options.

While I'm daydreaming, how about a Schiit audio HAT for a Raspberry Pi in a Modi style case for Roon... Hell, I'd settle for a nice looking Schiit box for DIY installation of a Raspberry Pi to clean up my Schiit desktop stack.

May 17, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #7,929 of 14,564
So there are three versions of the 2012 remastering of the solti ring--the cd only, the bluray only, and the deluxe with both. People seem to think the Blu Ray is the best, but you either need to get it straight into the DAC with a coax/optical out of a player (which might be hard if there's a perfunctory navigation menu that requires a screen to follow) or a way to get it into a computer. What're the prospects for getting a blu ray disc to play on an iMac via an external drive? Should I just get the cd only set and call it a day?

I ripped one of the transfers while in college but at an abysmal 256kbps and inexplicably neglected the Götterdämmerung prelude.

It's possible that the circuitry to play back BRD may not fit into anything as small as a laptop.

I wouldn't be completely surprised to see a 180 gram LP reissue of the Solti Ring at some point if vinyl continues it's resurgence. Would be hideously expensive. And a very heavy box, LOL!

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #7,930 of 14,564
A schiit enclosure identical to the modi magni mani loki housing, for raspberry pi, BeagleBone Black and other microcomputers. That would be awesome.

Ditto. A micro PC enclosure for media center purposes that matched the Schiit stack would be REALLY NICE!!! :thumbsup:

May 17, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #7,931 of 14,564
While I'm daydreaming, how about a Schiit audio HAT for a Raspberry Pi in a Modi style case for Roon... Hell, I'd settle for a nice looking Schiit box for DIY installation of a Raspberry Pi to clean up my Schiit desktop stack.

There are a number of Raspberry Pi solutions that have quality coax S/PDIF out which will happily feed most any Schiit DAC. I've happily tried a couple, and many others here have as well.

But I think I'm missing your point of the aesthetics of a case that matches the Schiit stack. Perhaps a re-purposed b-stock chassis?

May 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #7,932 of 14,564
[QUOTE="But I think I'm missing your point of the aesthetics of a case that matches the Schiit stack. Perhaps a re-purposed b-stock chassis?[/QUOTE]

The point is exactly aesthetics with the other elements in my system. That and possibly a better audio HAT although the Allo DigiOne is pretty awesome. It handles coax S/PDIF isolation/conversion like the EITR while also being a Roon endpoint. I totally get Schiit not wanting to do a computer audio server and deal with software support but a chassis would be cool. Probably not enough money in it to bother with though. I've toyed with the idea of turning a G-tech aluminum HD enclosure into an enclosure for a Pi, audio hat and SSD drive.

May 17, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #7,933 of 14,564
You know of a better audio HAT than the Allo or the 502DAC? Do tell!

Or did you mean Schiit should build a transport HAT that outputs AES, Coax/BNC and Baldr`s new BWD directly to the DAC.
I think they should. Probably just too damn DIY for their taste though, although Jason is doing the coaster-amp....
Schiit-Pi...hmmmmm.

May 17, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #7,934 of 14,564
[QUOTE="But I think I'm missing your point of the aesthetics of a case that matches the Schiit stack. Perhaps a re-purposed b-stock chassis?

The point is exactly aesthetics with the other elements in my system. That and possibly a better audio HAT although the Allo DigiOne is pretty awesome. It handles coax S/PDIF isolation/conversion like the EITR while also being a Roon endpoint. I totally get Schiit not wanting to do a computer audio server and deal with software support but a chassis would be cool. Probably not enough money in it to bother with though. I've toyed with the idea of turning a G-tech aluminum HD enclosure into an enclosure for a Pi, audio hat and SSD drive.[/QUOTE]

1) Link to my setup w/pictures at the bottom - https://www.evernote.com/l/AJxRFT3wJTxLXrG5fAwbl8YU8dVUyqdzPl0
2) I used the HiRise for iMac from twelvesouth but that appears to have been discontinued in favor of an upgraded and more expensive HiRise Pro for iMac - https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hirise-pro-for-imac

May 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #7,935 of 14,564

Users who are viewing this thread

Back