What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #7,231 of 14,564
Mar 4, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #7,232 of 14,564
Came across a Discworld quote on opera today. I am hoping it's equally amusing to y'all.

The only difference between Opera and madness is better scenery.

I love Terry Pratchetts discworld series. I learned after offering them up to my wife to read that they are confusing and unfunny to a fantasy novice. She had since read all 7 current mistborn books, which she loved, and is going to start reading Salvatore's Drizzt series next. After that maybe I'll start her on the more complicated stuff like Wheel of Time and then bring her back around to Pratchett.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #7,233 of 14,564
I love Terry Pratchetts discworld series. I learned after offering them up to my wife to read that they are confusing and unfunny to a fantasy novice. She had since read all 7 current mistborn books, which she loved, and is going to start reading Salvatore's Drizzt series next. After that maybe I'll start her on the more complicated stuff like Wheel of Time and then bring her back around to Pratchett.
A friend of a friend was a big Terry Pratchett discworld fan, he was some kind of ex EE (related occupation), I thought he might be worth knowing (he wasn't) but I did have a chat and he lent me a couple of his Discworld books.
I tried, but didn't enjoy', kinda lame full of weak "dad jokes".
Matter of personal taste or wavelength I guess.
I did read the first 9 or 10 books of the Wheel of Time and I really enjoyed them at the start, I'm not sure how many of the books I read as later they just seemed to go on and on, going nowhere and I decided I wasn't getting much return on my investment and stopped looking for new ones. I also read quite a few of the Saga of Recluse series but I haven't read any fantasy for a dozen or more years.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #7,234 of 14,564
Discworld to me is a big parody on fantasy novels in general, and I think the best of them is the Night Watch series. Other than the Death series, the rest arent quite as funny.

As for Wheel of Time, I also found the later books (the last few before Jordan passed away) to be quite boring. He knew the ending, but he didn't know how to get there. The last three books (11, 12 & 13) were finished/written by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordans death and are incredibly good. The world Jordan built is incredibly detailed and absorbing, but I think his vision started to wane near the end.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #7,235 of 14,564
Discworld to me is a big parody on fantasy novels in general, and I think the best of them is the Night Watch series. Other than the Death series, the rest arent quite as funny.

As for Wheel of Time, I also found the later books (the last few before Jordan passed away) to be quite boring. He knew the ending, but he didn't know how to get there. The last three books (11, 12 & 13) were finished/written by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordans death and are incredibly good. The world Jordan built is incredibly detailed and absorbing, but I think his vision started to wane near the end.

Bevity is the soul of wit. Which means that I never started reading Jordan

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #7,236 of 14,564

Thanks, I might check out those Brandon Sanderson ones.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #7,238 of 14,564
It's an epic series you'll need to start at the beginning.

He has read most of them already, I would just read some catch up synopsis and then jump into book 12. I misspoke earlier and said book 11, I forgot there was 14 books, not 13 lol

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #7,239 of 14,564
tumblr_n2cv6hjUtx1rtgkrpo1_400.gif

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #7,240 of 14,564
Hope it's okay I post this.

ASR has posted measurements of the Oppo-105. The reason I'm mentioning it here is that there appears to be an anomaly in the bit linearity test in the 105 causing triangle waves to happen rather than a straight line. By the ASR definition of 0.1 db variation used to declare a dac a certain number of bits, this would make the 105 a 0 bit dac. This is the same test intepretation that has resulted in the Bifrost being labelled a 10 bit unit and the Yggy being a 16 bit unit when it varied from 0.1 db linearity. I pointed out that a 0 bit DAC in a Oppo 105 doesn't seem to make sense and maybe the wording of the test interpretation needs to be refined.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #7,241 of 14,564

ASR has posted measurements of the Oppo-105. The reason I'm mentioning it here is that there appears to be an anomaly in the bit linearity test in the 105 causing triangle waves to happen rather than a straight line. By the ASR definition of 0.1 db variation used to declare a dac a certain number of bits, this would make the 105 a 0 bit dac. This is the same test intepretation that has resulted in the Bifrost being labelled a 10 bit unit and the Yggy being a 16 bit unit when it varied from 0.1 db linearity. I pointed out that a 0 bit DAC in a Oppo 105 doesn't seem to make sense and maybe the wording of the test interpretation needs to be refined.

He reported different results than previous measurements on the Soekris DAC too. Amir does not know how to take proper measurements, document a test setup, or understand his own data. I would not take anything seriously from that hack.

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #7,242 of 14,564
Alrighty then got the ZX2 charged so here's my results (using the Sony adapter USB out cable):

ZX2 into Eitr- Eitr doesn't recognize it.

ZX2 into Wyrd then Eitr - Eitr appears to recognize it, it lights up but no music.

ZX2 into Gen 5 usb- not recognized.

ZX2 into Wyrd then Gen 5 usb- music!! I might add that the ZX2 needed to be rebooted and then the Wyrd said "ok let's make music" or vice versa, however the protocol works. I used this procedure with all the combos.

Phone with USB Audio Pro works fine with Gen 5 USB but does not play with Eitr. They shake hands ok but when you hit play you get an error.

Laptop likes Eitr fine as does my Bryston BDP 1 USB player.

Hope this helps confirm and maybe allays some of your frustration at least.:)

I also ran into this issue trying to interface my NWZ-A17 Sony player with Eitr. No recognition of the connection. It works fine on my office setup where I have a Wyrd->Modi2, but not on the bedroom setup with Eitr->Mimby. I haven't tried bringing the Wyrd home to insert into that setup. I just use either the Airport express via optical on the Mimby or my iPhone->Eitr->Mimby on that setup. I mainly use the Sony player for portable use with a portable mojo, because that unit picks up too much RF noise if I stack it with my phone.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #7,243 of 14,564

He reported different results than previous measurements on the Soekris DAC too. Amir does not know how to take proper measurements, document a test setup, or understand his own data. I would not take anything seriously from that hack.

I'm with you @Rtg97229 In today's world (thanks to the internet) it's not too hard to apply a modicum of rigour fuelled by knowledge that is readily obtainable. To summarise the diatribe below, I can't see alignment between the arbitrary ENOB "measurement" method referred to in @garbulky 's quote from ASR and recognised standard. So, I think using the term "hack" is not unreasonable. I'm happy to be corrected on that point (refer the detail below if/when anyone does).

I'm not a measurements guru but from a quick finger walk on the interweb I found various references describing the calculation of ENOB. From a deeper search, I actually found a copy of IEEE Std 1658-2011 Standard for Terminology and Test Methods of Digital-to-Analog Converter Devices (I won't post a link but if you're resourceful, well, ... enough said) and the calculation for ENOB according to the standard which notably differs from the generic equation that you'll come across in places like Wikipedia:
36ec123dbd02e4ed5dafef30e90f58faecaa694a

I also found this paper, Some Critical Notes on DAC Frequency Domain Specifications, Balestrieri et. al., http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1658/NextMeetingArchive/061030DAPONTE/DAPONTE_P.pdf that appears to have provided input to the IEEE Std 1658 and from reading it, the work appears to have been inspired by the lack of a common test frame work and general confusion.

Balestieri, et. al. comments on the above ENOB equation as follows:
Defining ENOB in terms of another figure of merit, as a measure of the signal-to-noise and distortion ratio makes this parameter useless as it is redundant.
Taking into account the previous considerations, the proposed definition for ENOB is:
For an input sinewave of specified frequency and amplitude, after correction for gain and offset, effective number of bits is the difference between the DAC digital resolution and the number of bits affected by DAC nonideality. This number has to be obtained as the binary
logarithm of the ratio between the measured rms noise and the ideal rms quantization noise
”.
In this way ENOB definition is not directly related to the SINAD.
The above narrative helps explain why IEEE 1658-2011 defines ENOB as per the excerpt below:
upload_2018-3-8_5-8-38.png

I'm happy to be corrected about this but I can't see any reference to a 0.1 dB criteria being used to determine ENOB in the detail above.

I find it difficult to take data and analysis from anyone seriously, if it's not supported by reference back to recognised standard and some demonstration that the standard has been competently understood and applied.

The concluding statement from this paper https://www.mccdaq.com/PDFs/anpdf/DT-Application-Notes/ENOB-Overall-Accuracy.pdf puts the issue better than I can articulate at short notice:
ENOB is not just a specification, but a set of conditions under which the specification was measured. SNR and error measurements between products can only be compared if they were taken under the same circumstances: at maximum throughput, on alternating full-scale and zero-scale measurements, measured from the module’s input connectors using data output to the computer’s bus. If measurement conditions are not specified, you should not trust the specification.
The issue of procedual rigour is at the heart of the advice above and that's why I lack confidence in the musings coming from the source in question.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #7,244 of 14,564
I may finally understand all this.
The following is based on John Mayer's 2008 live recording Where The Light Is.

Introduction on acoustic guitar = curve #1 or AG1.
Subsequent vocal track = curve #2 or VT1.
Compensate for system losses including ear wax.
The full curve becomes: AG1 + VT1 - SLEW = MB
Where MB = musical bliss.

Hoping as usual for Mike to chime in for verification. :)
Happy Listening,
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back