What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #5,566 of 14,564
I'm looking forward to Beethoven's Violin Concerto on Friday. I will be in the air headed for the Schiitr, I mean thanksgiving, literally as the Exterminating Angel is being broadcast by the met, so I'll have to catch the encore performance. But I have a Bach and Pergolesi concert at Disney Hall on Sunday. And then MTT doing Mahler the day after I return on the 25th.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #5,567 of 14,564
I'm looking forward to Beethoven's Violin Concerto on Friday. I will be in the air headed for the Schiitr, I mean thanksgiving, literally as the Exterminating Angel is being broadcast by the met, so I'll have to catch the encore performance. But I have a Bach and Pergolesi concert at Disney Hall on Sunday. And then MTT doing Mahler the day after I return on the 25th.

Jeez, I feel so sorry for you. NOT!

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #5,569 of 14,564
Would love to know your favorite for the solo portion. I’ve always liked Heifetz as his version seemed very proto-punk to me, very rock ‘n roll. Can one shred a violin?

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #5,571 of 14,564
My go-to GV recording, though, is the ECM András Schiff.
I just listened to this and enjoyed it very much.

I've heard his older Decca recording a long time ago. Listening to that one again, it sounds so much like a harpsichord performance, with very even dynamics and exaggerated timing inflections. It would be interesting to hear Schiff perform on a harpsichord. I like the ECM recording much more, the playing style better suited for a piano.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #5,572 of 14,564
Just finished an "upgrade" to my RPi3/Hifiberry Digi+ Pro/Volumnio streamer into my Yggy. I added a 75ohm BNC socket to the PCB (had to wait for 5 week delivery at a min ordering of 10, so I have plenty left) and had a custom BNC cable made (Canare BNC connectors with Canare HD-SDI cable) along with @Baldr 's recommended Neutrik BNC -> AES converter. The result is very interesting.

Both RCA/BNC-BNC sounded a bit grainy. This really stood out when listening to violin pieces like Theme from Schindler's List, or Zigeunerweisen by Mutter. In comparison, the BNC > AES connection was really smooth and coherent, there is no break off when the violin is played on different strings (low vs high). The BNC->AES connection also deepened the bass a great deal, the drum beats in Danzon No.2 is so much more enjoyable on the BNC/AES then either RCA/RCA or BNC/BNC.

I might just go for a 502DAC to try out if AES -> AES could do better magic.

@kimbo ... yes, if one is DIY inclined, the RaspTouch could be built from parts provided at a saving. It is a bit austere looking ... and there are are others like the Nativ VITA that are more attractive ... but at the price and if the SQ is good ... altho' if Schiit got into the Network Player market with a disrupter product, I'm sure that would be worthy of consideration. Unlikely tho' !!

You know, a full network player may not be in the cards for @Baldr or @Jason Stoddard, but if they're interested in improving sound for their customers, starting at the source, and a CD transport is a bit "too obsolete" even for them, a digital output board/HAT for the Raspberry Pi may not be a bad idea.

Something that raises the Pi from sounding like ass, to something that would interface well with their DACs and actually sounds great, maybe along with SchiitPi case. At least then they're supporting an open platform, and not into the business of developing/maintaining an OS, custom software, apps, etc, which is already out there for the Pi.

Probably a snowball's chance in hell of that one, but hey why not? Would it be that much different than the Gen5 USB upgrade board?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #5,575 of 14,564
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #5,576 of 14,564
I am actually looking at the Asus Tinkerboard as an alternative to the RPi I own, given that recently Hifiberry confirmed that their product can work on the Tinkerboard. Even with Tinkerboard alone, having separate buses between USB/Network is a big plus compared to the RPi. And I personally like the flexibility of the platform. Acting as a player (Volumio) and ripper (homebrewed scripts using ABCDE) at the same time and can do other great stuff while not sounding bad at all (BNC->AES is bliss). Tie-ing it down to some fixed function and having to deal with UI design is IMHO removing the platform's strength and causing support troubles, and I remember that Schiit folks are not willing to go there at the moment.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #5,577 of 14,564
I use an IFI iPower which I am ashamed to say costs more than the PR3 or the Hifiberry Digi Plus. What we are really asking Schiit to do is compete with HiFiBerry and the other hi quality audio out board makers.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #5,578 of 14,564
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #5,579 of 14,564
Wild idea: A EITR+ that accepts an RPi as an add-on board via GPIO headers. It can power the RPi via GPIO and receives I2S from the RPI. Customize whatever you like on the RPi OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back