What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #5,011 of 14,564
I admit it, yeah, the rumors of modification are true. Over a year ago, we implemented a software modification for the notch which used to be visible at -90db waveforms on all multibit DACs. This modification had a user at another forum in a state of high dudgeon that we could claim our units were high end with such a glaring anomaly. Of course he championed a much more expensive competing unit over and over again which was free of such pox. @atomicbob did not seem to be unduly concerned, measurements champ that he is. I didn't either, completely unconcerned about an inaudible flaw. I corrected it with software tweaks and we have a newly clean -90db measurement.

You may wonder, why didn't we announce it? Well, it goes like this: on our upgradable DACs, we from time to time make running changes, such as the software change above. A few are are compelled, due to parts end of life. The majority, however, are minor tweaks we make for the purpose of improvement. It makes little sense to call an Yggy back for a minor upgrade where $10-$15 worth of upgrades are involved, either for the client or ourselves. So we remain muzzled and do the upgrades when the units come back for more major upgrades.

On major upgrades, such as one which would involve new analog, digi, or input boards, we would implement the changes and let them sit several months to a year before announcing anything. This is so they have time to settle. This is the biggest reason to avoid purchasing a used Yggy. Not that I am attempting anything punative – it is just a system that works reliably, and is fairest on an hourly basis in client cost.

Exceptions are when we offer an accross the line upgrade such as the Gen V USB which pretty much fixes USB, at least until we come out with our own chipset implementation, which will take a year or two. Oops – never mind. These upgrades are inexpensive and effect huge change. So we offer them.

Are we going to offer analog upgrades? Is Apple going to upgrade their phones? Of course. The difference is that we will conceal our upgrades for some period of time before we offer them.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 12, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #5,012 of 14,564
On major upgrades, such as one which would involve new analog, digi, or input boards, we would implement the changes and let them sit several months to a year before announcing anything. This is so they have time to settle. This is the biggest reason to avoid purchasing a used Yggy.
Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly: are you saying Schiit would sell upgraded products for up to a year before publicly announcing the upgrade?

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #5,013 of 14,564
Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly: are you saying Schiit would sell upgraded products for up to a year before publicly announcing the upgrade?
Yup -- we already have done so (Yggy, Gumby, Bifrost only).

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 12, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #5,014 of 14,564
Mike you're tempting idiots like myself to pop the cases off their new yggy's and investigate.
Though I expect my laziness will override my OCD, and I will just sit in my chair and enjoy the yggy.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #5,017 of 14,564
Yup -- we already have done so (Yggy, Gumby, Bifrost only).
I love it, people could have been A/B testing a new version comparing to what they think is old gear when in reality they could be hearing identical devices!

But now I have to send in my Mimby for upgrading because I can totally hear the -90dB cut, the mind hears what it hears!

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #5,023 of 14,564
Apple has been doing ninja revision upgrades of products for years. It was well known that one should avoid buying a new MacBook Pro immediately after it was announced, but wait half-a-year to a year for fixes to be implemented.

I've opened uo enough audio gear to see board revisions as well, many of which I don't recall seeing any announcements from the manufacturer about.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #5,024 of 14,564
As far as I know this is pretty standard in industry, nothing to worry about. And we should be happy that Schiit is doing it this way, rather than changing models every year with price increases each time.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #5,025 of 14,564
Apple has been doing ninja revision upgrades of products for years. It was well known that one should avoid buying a new MacBook Pro immediately after it was announced, but wait half-a-year to a year for fixes to be implemented.

I've opened uo enough audio gear to see board revisions as well, many of which I don't recall seeing any announcements from the manufacturer about.

This is a tried and true strategy for anyone in the systems arena...at IBM we were encouraged to keep customers off 'the bleeding edge' whenever possible. Sometimes the enhanced capabilities overruled this logic, but, when followed, it sure saved a lot of headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back