What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #4,202 of 14,564
So long as they don't call the EITR an EATY !!! As a European, I feel EITR 'should' be pronounced 'EYETR' not 'EATR' ... FWIW

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,203 of 14,564
Oh I absolutely agree with this comment. I hate all the stupid names ending in Y. The devices have names. USE THEM. We don't need the cute nicknames: they are not your dog. [/rant]
Wow! Have you guys gone of your meds? I was a lurker for two years before I got the nerve to post anything trying to figure out the nomen-schiit-clature!! And I've owned Schiit gear a while(nearly 5 years). It intimidated the Schiit out of me! If it ends in a "y" sound it's Multibit. Miss Piggy is Multibit, Kermit is not!:smile_phones::beerchug: If the culture is changed it will be more to type! Please let the first articles for MP be correct and MP first version released soon to save us.............with something to nickname!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #4,204 of 14,564
So long as they don't call the EITR an EATY !!! As a European, I feel EITR 'should' be pronounced 'EYETR' not 'EATR' ... FWIW

Based on what I can find, The old Norse "ei" sounds like the Spanish diphthong "ei". So that would pronounced like "ate-r". Or "hater" without the "h".

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,205 of 14,564
snip (silly shortening of names)
snip
Oh I absolutely agree with this comment. I hate all the stupid names ending in Y. The devices have names. USE THEM. We don't need the cute nicknames: they are not your dog. [/rant]
From a marketing standpoint this indicates ownership.
As in, by personalizing the name of the product, means there is a degree of identification and direct personal involvement with said product.

This is a marketers dream, to have a degree of personal identity reflected into the products they own and use.

Besides how many of you can readily spell Yggdrasil or Ragnarok or Mjolnir or Jotuheim, without looking?

So I'd encourage everyone to go ahead and call them whatever you feel so motivated to do, but foremost have FUN with it.
Being all serious with Schiit isn't FUN in my book.

JJ :)

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #4,207 of 14,564
DACs
Yggdrasil = Yggy (no multibit designation needed, hence no "mby")
Gungnir MultiBit = GuMB = Gumby
Bifrost MultiBit = BiMB = Bimby
Modi MultiBit = MoMB = Mimby? (although you could argue that its taking the i from the end of Modi, so MiMB)

Amps
Jotunheim = Jot
Ragnarok = Rag (I've read Raggy as well, I think that is to align it with Yggy)

Seems like those are the main nicknames for Schiit gear that I've seen used most often.

I'm all for the nicknames in that it adds a sense of ownership like mentioned a few posts ago. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions and how they want to refer to things. If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't condemn those that do use them.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #4,209 of 14,564
My YGGY.....
upload_2017-8-15_15-35-54.gif

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #4,210 of 14,564
See?
See?
Jot is so much easier… :)

JJ
ps. It can't be just me but the smiiies here really lame…

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,213 of 14,564
What a bunch of weirdos, stop smoking crack and move on, who gives a schiit about the names, it sound good.

This all started with someone instructing all the rest of us to spell out the full name of each Schiit product and it just went downhill from there. But maybe it's better than some of the bright suggestions people come up with such as the need for Mike to design a special circuit to compensate for the location of his DACs relative to the earth's polarity.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #4,214 of 14,564
Modi MultiBit = MoMB = Mimby? (although you could argue that its taking the i from the end of Modi, so MiMB)

Amps
Jotunheim = Jot
Ragnarok = Rag (I've read Raggy as well, I think that is to align it with Yggy)

Seems like those are the main nicknames for Schiit gear that I've seen used most often.

I'm all for the nicknames in that it adds a sense of ownership like mentioned a few posts ago. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions and how they want to refer to things. If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't condemn those that do use them.
DACs
So it's more an acronym than a nickname.
Gumby is written as product type on the original box of my Gungnir multibit DAC. So the short for these products is "officially" used by Schiit.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #4,215 of 14,564
Based on what I can find, The old Norse "ei" sounds like the Spanish diphthong "ei". So that would pronounced like "ate-r". Or "hater" without the "h".
Wrong again!
Ask a Norwegian not your wife.
@Charente is right.
Eyetr it is.
I asked Constanza (a Nordic Forrest Cat) and she knows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back