What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 6, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #4,021 of 14,564
Anybody ready to comment on the Eitr vs. straight coax/BNC to the Gungnir yet?
As the Eitr will become available over here soonish I need to start making up my mind.
Stay with usb and get an Eitr or move on to a pi2media 502 or digiOne for the raspberry and go straight up in there?

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #4,022 of 14,564
+1 would be interested in this as well.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #4,025 of 14,564
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #4,026 of 14,564
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #4,028 of 14,564
Since there is no dose like an overdose: https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Reiner...31&sr=8-1&keywords=fritz+reiner+for+a+box+set

I bought one of these a year or so back while they were still widely available, for $130 new. Easily worth waaaaay more. They have a used one at 3 bucks a disk.

At $130.00 that's a great price for 63 CD's. RCA has milked this Reiner/Chcago cash cow many times over the years. I had most of the original LP's (many from my fathers collection). The first CD issues I have are the RCA Red Seal "Digitally Remastered Analogue Recordings" of the early to mid 80's. I then added a few of the "Papillon Collection" RCA reissues starting I think around 1987 when BMG got involved. I've got many of the "BMG Classics" issues from around 1995 that cover wise, look like the set you purchased. And last I picked up most of the SACD issues (even though I only listen to the 2-channel track) individually that I wanted starting around 2004. I like these the best for the original cover art, liner notes, remastering, etc.. LOL, I have only 1 CD of Reiner's Chcago 62' Zarathustra. I quadruple dipped myself on the 3 track stereo 54' recording. Reiner's Strauss's is the standard along with Kempe Dresden for his music. I have 4 CD's of the 3 track, stereo 54' Zarathustra which is one of those rare recordings where he separated 1st and 2nd violins left and right, violas right center, cellos left of center, and double basses behind the cellos and to the far left. Always interesting listening to this ("European" or "Old" style of placement is how I think I've seen it referred to) with a transducer that images well and can generate a measure of sound stage depth (I'm thinking of speakers here). Textures seem sharper and musical lines are better delineated this way but from what I have read / understand musicians may prefer the standard (or "Modern") layout as the respective sections can hear each other more clearly for performing / recording / timing purposes. I also have most of the Merc Living Presence also from the same early years of stereo - all in their most recent incarnation, highly recommended as well.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #4,029 of 14,564
Here's the Discogs info, I'm about to get the corresponding download from HDtracks. https://www.discogs.com/Mussorgsky-...es-At-An-Exhibition-A-Night-O/release/8473302
As @bosiemoncrieff intimated, Reiner/CSO/Mercury Living Presence is superb. Even with a cold Yggy (just got back from 3 weeks away and I turn off all my gear when I travel for extended periods), "Night on Bald Mountain" is so vivid on my speaker system, I feel I'm about to be blown off the summit. Soundstage is not as amazingly defined as in my benchmark Living Presence recording (Firebird/LSO/Dorati), but dynamics are outstanding. Hiss is trivial on my speaker system, even on the softer passages.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #4,030 of 14,564
IMHO the Reiner/Chicago Scheherazade is the best orchestral recording ever. I've heard a number of releases of it. The original LP goes for many hundreds of $$, but there have been good audiophile label vinyl re-releases. But they did a really good job with the SACD, using the original 3-track master tapes.

It has ridiculously good soundstaging and imaging, as well as hall sound, and instrument timbre. I use it as a test track for audio component comparisons.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #4,031 of 14,564
IMHO the Reiner/Chicago Scheherazade is the best orchestral recording ever. I've heard a number of releases of it. The original LP goes for many hundreds of $$, but there have been good audiophile label vinyl re-releases. But they did a really good job with the SACD, using the original 3-track master tapes.

It has ridiculously good soundstaging and imaging, as well as hall sound, and instrument timbre. I use it as a test track for audio component comparisons.
Thank you, one more for the collection (SACD-derived 88/24 available on HDtracks)!
Update: Got it, I hear now what you describe, soundstage and dynamics are as close to good seats at the symphony as I could hope for in my living room, thank you for the great recommendation!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #4,032 of 14,564

You guys are killing me. I had many pristine, original issue RCA shaded dog and Mercury Living Presence LPs in the collection I sold back in 2008 :triportsad:

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4,033 of 14,564

Have to agree with this, Fritzreiner Scheherazade has to be one of my best image-everything sounding records... even on a humble Bifrost multibit with monitors; the storm with the ship, the passages on the palace... More like experiencing music than listening.
best regards,

Antonio Rivas
ps. a belated feliz cumpleaños to Mike!

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #4,035 of 14,564

Users who are viewing this thread

Back