What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,814 of 14,564
Ahh, so the motor is indeed "free" to be positioned. I thought my eyes were tricking me. I'm wondering if the final design will be like this.

Good luck with the development, although it's not a product I'm interested in. Basically, I already moved all my music collection to the digital domain and I'm not interested in going back (super fast access to it, no degradation after millions of playbacks, minimal physical space needs -among others- are factors pretty much impossible to beat, IMHO).

The weird thing is, from time to time I still buy some vinyls when the art cover kicks ass. I just keep them as collectibles hehe.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #3,815 of 14,564
I always wonder how you set up such a thing. How do you know the distance between motor and plate? I assume the snare is sort off strechy?
Think big o ring rubber band. As long as it doesn't slip or tip the motor over from being too tight. To change speeds just put it on the alternate pulley size. Avoid using your oily fingers and you're good to go.

Interchangeable tone arms means easy use of a stereo or mono cartridge. Get out those old records!

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,817 of 14,564
Believe it or not, I have been working on the TT for almost three years. Since I am a TT designer virgin, prudence dictates caution. One of the sicker aspects of the analog pathology is a need for multiple cartridges to change whether you need to or not. A further feature of this table is that one may purchase additional arms to mount, balance, and set skating on multiple cartridges, unplug and simply lift off one arm and replace it with another arm with the cartridge perfectly balanced in the new arm. As far as digital vs. analog, I have done enough digit processing stuff for awhile (Multibit down to multimodis, and a few as of yet unreleased things) so I work on this and MP for a while. There is a pic posted elsewhere of the TT and I will get a more detailed one up here soon. If the TT forces improvements on the digital and versa visa, then no harm, no foul.

I get the Lengthy project timelines. I have a few of those myself from work on cars (possibly getting a project soon), renewing restoring some older firearms/modding new ones to of course audio and electronics related projects. Of course the things that I am familiar with gets done fairly quick and the self taught projects require time and research and sometimes a glass of whisky or several.

The swappable tonearm is a very interesting feature which will make it easier to compare different carts without having to pray to the gods of analog and the time spent recalibrating for each cartridge. Looking at the picture I can see that the motor is decoupled from plinth but it seems to be just sitting on that rack. It may be the angle of picture but besides the obvious question of whats keeping the motor from tipping over during start up, what keeping the distance from the Platter to the Pulley constant to prevent variations in speed? or is the mass of the platter great enough to compensate once it is up to the correct speed? I digress. I have modded and tinkered with my TT so these questions come to mind.

Edit - Of course I typed the up wheil working on other things and after others have inquired about the same. oh well at least I am not the only crazy one in the room

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,819 of 14,564
Mike,

neat turntable. Interesting design - actually doesn't look particularly ugly!

On a side note, if you're looking for more suggestions, myself (musician/recording engineer by training/trade) and a few of my friends in the music biz have been desperately looking for multibit ADC converters/interfaces that run audio over ethernet. They don't exist yet, but we wish they did! I'd love to talk more about the idea if you're open to it. (unless of course those are on the way...)

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,820 of 14,564
Abandon all fire arms projects and concentrate on audio.
There is a Difference in swapping out audio components and putting in the time and sweat in to refinish metal and wood as well learning the way mechanisms work so that you repair, refine and possibly even improve it. My Electronics Knowledge is Technician level not Engineer level so not a lot I can do to get the same satisfaction. I know their are kits but to me at least they are no different than the kits I used back in Vocational school. Not terribly rewarding.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #3,823 of 14,564
I've been looking at some turntables recently (I kind of like the looks of u turn right now as an entry level turntable), but would drop everything and buy a schiit turntable if it were going to be a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back