What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 14, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #2,806 of 14,564
  Ahh, but that last 16th bit is perfect magical origami 
biggrin.gif

The folding and unfolding is critical!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 14, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,809 of 14,564
I would think you could only fold a bit in half? Yes/No?

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,810 of 14,564
  Do you think that 20b comment was a dig at the friendly opposition?

And is it true that no A/D yields more than 20b anyway?

Not sure that either mag is in the business of digging at it's competitor. I think just a statement of fact as 
I understand them. I defer to others that are more knowledgeable as to how many bits are utilized.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2,811 of 14,564
when I try to relax with music at 150db spl in my anechoic chamber with my ACME Corp transducers of less than 0.0000063% distortions at all frequencies, it really bothers me to know my DAC doesn't do real 24bit.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,812 of 14,564
  when I try to relax with music at 150db spl in my anechoic chamber with my ACME Corp transducers of less than 0.0000063% distortions at all frequencies, it really bothers me to know my DAC doesn't do real 24bit.

We can direct you to appropriate counseling.  Please do not hesitate to check in here if you are feeling depressed.  Unless, of course, you spent less than 100,000 Euros on your transducers.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #2,813 of 14,564

We can direct you to appropriate counseling.  Please do not hesitate to check in here if you are feeling depressed.  Unless, of course, you spent less than 100,000 Euros on your transducers.

Hearing 144db of sound—even in an anechoic chamber—is in excess of the volume necessary for painful acoustic trauma. And if you're in any space other than an anechoic chamber, BOOM!, eardrum rupture.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #2,814 of 14,564
Hearing 144db of sound—even in an anechoic chamber—is in excess of the volume necessary for painful acoustic trauma. And if you're in any space other than an anechoic chamber, BOOM!, eardrum rupture.

If you spent more than 100,00 Euros for your speakers, it does not matter if you are deaf -- you are qualified to hang out on the highest floors at the shows with the hard of hearing old men selling very expensive gear to each other. It seems their last remaining customers are almost gone.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #2,815 of 14,564
AES-EBU sounds the best and certainly drives a longer cable than coax S/PDIF. So what is so different about it? Well, it is balanced. Now then, normally balanced is better, but the balanced we think of in analog systems is baseband audio. The bi-phase encoded digital stream in S/PDIF and AES-EBU is 2.8-ish to 3.1-ish MegaHertz. Quite a bit higher, like 150x of the highest audio baseband stuff. Much better for longer runs. So what is the circuit difference, besides the connector interface??

Are you ready? It is a transformer. That is it, all, done*. A 3Mhz-ish pulse transformer that can drive a 75ohm total load. So you say, well all I have to do is add a transformer to my Modi-Multibit and I can convert my coax input into AES-EBU?? Yup, that is about it except for the connector. Now that XLR plugin connector is a real horsecock compared to the RCA already on the Multi-Modi. Ugh, won't fit. It will fit fine on a Bifrost size chassis. Bad idea #1: Hey, all I have to do is change any of our Magni-Modi chassis sized units to Bifrost or Jotunheim size and I can bring AES-EBU to everyman! How cool. Not so fast – the Bifrost/Jot chassis costs a lot more. Translates to just about eighty bucks. That means the Multi-Modi is now $329 bucks and everyone, including those who could care less about AES-EBU are paying more.

Since punishing the masses for the sake of the few didn't seem attractive, I retired to a quiet location. Guess what! While in meditative spiritual congress with the digital audio gods the location of a secret schematic with a solution was revealed. Bad idea #2: All I have to do is build a bidirectional cable with an integrated transformer. This, with an appropriate gender-bender for the XLR end, could make a cable to either convert a coax input to a AES-EBU source, or vice versa, so it would not be necessary to spend a kilobuck for either a DAC or a DDC with AES-EBU connectivity. Brilliant!

Then I googled S/PDIF coax to AES-EBU converter cables. There are several available. Under 50 bucks!  Phew! No Schiit price inflation necessary for less expensive products! Great news. Oh, the footnote:

*AES-EBU and S/PDIF are not identical. This should be no problem unless you are using pro-gear and pro masters. The subcode information and levels can be different on true pro-audio sourced material, which few/if any of us have access to. If you have a EBU on a DDC connected to a USB, you have nothing to fear. If you have a spinner with a XLR out, no problem. However, if you have a digital master tape connected to a Rane mixer with AES-EBU, then you probably know what you are doing to interface all properly.

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,816 of 14,564
I was actually not a big fan of opera until I got the HD800/Modi multibit combo.  Being able to hear the spittle move inside the performers mouths as they expressed so much emotion in tuneful fashion sealed it.  And the coherency and room acoustics of the entire space around the performers as they jammed with the musicians... it is kind of bad ass.  Been devouring Mozart's Figaro, Don Giovanni and Solti's rendition of Wagner's Ring Cycle.  Just a crazy ride.

Any other suggestions for great operas on that level?

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #2,817 of 14,564
(snip)  
Since punishing the masses for the sake of the few seemed assuredly attractive, I retired to a quiet location. Guess what! While in meditative soporific congress with the digital audio cogniscenti, the location of a secret schematic with a solution was sourceded. Superlative  idea #2: All I have to do is build a bidirectional cable with an integrated bifilar wound transformer with rubidium coated silver wire coated in pixie dust. This, with an appropriate strontium coated connector for the XLR end, could make a specially expensive cable to either convert a coax input to a AES-EBU source, or perhaps not, so it would really be necessary to spend a Megabuck for either a DAC or a DDC with AES-EBU connectivity. Brilliant!   Will get rave reviews in Stereophool...!

Then I googled S/PDIF coax to AES-EBU converter cables. There are several available. Under 5 bucks!  Yikes! No Schiit price inflation necessary for less desirable products! Great news. Oh, the footnote:

All we have to do is coat the cables in rose gold coloured neoprene and the world is our oyster.  Move over AudioQuacks

(snip)

FTFY

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #2,818 of 14,564
  I was actually not a big fan of opera until I got the HD800/Modi multibit combo.  Being able to hear the spittle move inside the performers mouths as they expressed so much emotion in tuneful fashion sealed it.  And the coherency and room acoustics of the entire space around the performers as they jammed with the musicians... it is kind of bad ass.  Been devouring Mozart's Figaro, Don Giovanni and Solti's rendition of Wagner's Ring Cycle.  Just a crazy ride.

Any other suggestions for great operas on that level?

Bizet's Carmen; I have the VK, Baltsa, Carreras on DG, but there could very well be better singin' and playin'
Puccini's Tosca; I have several but my favorite perf and sound is Davis, Caballe', Carreras, Wixell. The De Sabata, Callas, Di Stephano, Gobbi also.
Wagner's Tristan und Isolde...(several versions)
Strauss's Solome... (Solti, Nilsson)
Berg's Lulu; Only if you can manage 2nd Viennese School, murder, mayhem, a vicious self-centered bitch as the heroine and Jack the Ripper.
How much fun can you take? (Boulez - Cerha completion)

Their all about love and death, and everybody dies happily ever after (or will be condemned to death), well, except for Jack.

Other fun favorites of mine where not everybody dies when it's over but someone is, or should be, guilt ridden and miserable; La Boheme, Madame Butterfly.
Happy endings(!); Turandot, Magic Flute, Die Meistersinger.
Special case; Parsifal, the music is extraordinary (as is all of Wagner's music).
Reading a detailed synopses may give you a sense of if  it's up your alley or not. From the standpoint of the music alone, these, in addition to the ones you mentioned above,
are the core of my opera likes.

Our resident operafile, bosiemoncrieff, would be the authoritative source on the singing performances.

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,820 of 14,564

It is obvious that you need to upgrade to a 32 bit D/A converter with cryogenically cooled resistor ladder networks, timing from an on-board cesium clock synchronized to the NITS master, and all powered by 128 Li-ion battery cells contained within their own building. The solid silver interconnect bus bars are extra, depending upon your facility configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back