What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 6, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #2,671 of 14,564
  For another, the Eitr postdates the Yggy by two years... If I've had any success in reading in-between the lines of @Baldr's teasing posts, it's a new design inspired by the electrical properties of Ethernet-based transports, not just another XMOS-based USB-jiggery-poker but this time in a Schiit-y box.

That would indeed be the scoop of the day.
An ethernet decrapefier.
The next question is... where would I link it.
Between NAS and player/dac I suppose.
Bring it on!!!

However I have no idea what that would mean in a technical sense.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,672 of 14,564

That would indeed be the scoop of the day.
An ethernet decrapefier.
The next question is... where would I link it.
Between NAS and player/dac I suppose.
Bring it on!!!

However I have no idea what that would mean in a technical sense.

I didn't say "Ethernet," I said "based on the electrical properties of Ethernet-based transports," that is, something that exploits the noise rejection properties of the Ethernet physical layer without requiring the software complexity of the full Ethernet TCP/IP stack. But I could be totally wrong, of course.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,673 of 14,564
  I didn't say "Ethernet," I said "based on the electrical properties of Ethernet-based transports," that is, something that exploits the noise rejection properties of the Ethernet physical layer without requiring the software complexity of the full Ethernet TCP/IP stack. But I could be totally wrong, of course.

Ah, you see? I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I have to read in on it sometimes.
Tnx

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,674 of 14,564
Sometimes it's just better to wait and see rather than to speculate and guess and be wrong. :)

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,675 of 14,564
^ Very true. Sometimes I think that's what we should do re trying to understand the universe and everything...

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,676 of 14,564

Oh I take Frida Leider to Kirsten Flagstad every day of the week. Leider is a resplendent cabernet to Flagstad's german beer.

Heresy, perhaps.

Likewise, I take Max Lorenz to Lauritz Melchior. More deeply felt. Much better actor.

Analysis of opera singers is a challenging judgement for me to make. There are of course, the quality of the voice and the quality of the acting. Interestingly enough, these judgements certainly overlap with pop musicals and to much less extent popular bands' and musicians' concerts as well.

If one is to judge an singing/acting performance, that judgement is best based on the entire show as opposed to selections. Live recordings of entire operas did not really become common until the late 1930s early 1940's. Also, a recording inherently makes It difficult for me to form acting ability opinions of those who I cannot see, although a certain percentage of that ability is clearly conveyed in vocal inflections.

As one who has spent much time backstage in straight plays and musicals as a performer, stage manager, and director, there is a a certain feeling of excitement and adrenaline when the curtain comes up, you are bathed in lights, and can hear, indeed feel the audience which is positively inspiring. No matter what the level of the rehearsal, the audience generally has a stunning positive effect on the performers/actors. This is in contrast with film work, which like studio recordings, are based upon flaked and formed, out of sequence parts, designed to make someone or something better than it is.

As an aside, valid or not, straight play (non musical) actors generally feel that musicals require little acting ability, and musical (Broadway sorta stuff) performers have little regard for opera singers abilities to do little other than sing. In fact many musical comedies will parody opera singers by posing them stiffly, singing with clasped hands.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 8, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,678 of 14,564
I've done am-dram for many years, and performing musical theatre is far far more difficult than doing plays. One has to sing, dance, and convey emotion. With a play it's just emotion, which is hard enough the rest.

I find opera recordings hard to digest. You're only getting half the performance, audio, without the acting or set. Live opera can be a fantastic experience.

OT, but my late relative Fred Dahlberg, performed Claggart in the premiere performances of Billy Budd. He would sit at the family piano and belt out operatic selections. In the room he didn't seem so loud, but 200 yards down the road, with the windows open you could clearly hear every word. :slight_smile:

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #2,680 of 14,564
He doesn`t :)
My German is excellent (even if I say so myself), but a German opera is still 50% gibberish to me.
Maybe it helps when you actually read the story before you hear the opera but even though I understand some italian....italian opera not so much:)
Which is not a really big deal since I am no opera buff myself. I do really enjoy this kind of thing, but I guess it`s not for everybody.
I think most people will never figure out whats going on(much like an italian opera)
It`s a really good synergy between sound and movement I think...but it aint no opera for sure!

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #2,681 of 14,564
RE Librettos; I'm mostly into purely orchestral and chamber music. But what works for me with operas I do listen too is knowing what their singing about rather than what their singing at any given point in the opera. I then just treat the voice(s) as another instrument.

But my opera likes are fairly narrow in scope; aside from Wagner it's late Mozart, late Puccini, some Strauss, Bizet's Carmen and Berg's two. And, a few one offs like Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. I've got some other composers operas (like Glass's Anhknaten) but don't listen to them that often. But am currently working on coming to grips with Verdi's Othello at present, his stuff never quite caught my ear or imagination.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #2,682 of 14,564

Some years back, the PBS showed the Ring Cycle complete with closed captions. I was both fascinated and appalled by the storyline and the wording, much of which a 5th grader would have been embarrassed to have written. More recently on PBS, caught part of a contemporary opera in English. Modern people in unrealistic poses singing banal words in wildly overblown vocal affectations. My conclusion - opera works much better in a foreign language where you don't know what they're saying. Whether in German, Italian or English, ignorance is bliss.

<<Political evaluation removed>>

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,684 of 14,564
... How does a non-Italian speaker figure out what is going on?

45LongColt
  .... My conclusion - opera works much better in a foreign language where you don't know what they're saying. Whether in German, Italian or English, ignorance is bliss.
(I don't yet know how to quote two people at once)

This is the advantage of DVD.  Typically they have subtitles as an option, so you can have the best/worst of both worlds.  And you can decided how many miles and $$ you want to spend to hear a live performance

And thank you to gearme for responding earlier with with a suggestion for a not-too-expensive player that includes DVD.

NF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back