What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 17, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #2,447 of 14,563
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,448 of 14,563
+1

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,449 of 14,563
  but I figure seeing as I purchased a Freya to try out with my headphone amps I may as well make full use of it and go the extra mile to build an externally powered speaker system with a Vidar. Hopefully it doesn't set me back too far over a grand, that'd be bad news, hopefully I can control myself. 
smily_headphones1.gif

There are lots of speaker choices out there at almost literally every price point.  The important thing is to go out and listen to a bunch so you can form your own opinion about the sound you're looking for.

HST, if you want see/hear the polar opposite of your Phantoms take look/listen to Magnepans :->

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,450 of 14,563
  How about Oppos as transports?

I use one and it sounds great. Coax to Yggy, no problems. I also have some Hi Rez material that I burn to DVD-A, which the Oppo can play, and Yggy handles those very nicely. The new Oppo's have the ability to connect to a hard drive, and they have a phone apps that allow the user to play music off the hard drive without turning on the connected screen. 

I also watch the occasional DVD or BluRay on the Oppo and enjoy excellent 2 channel sound through Yggy. I am not enough of a movie watcher to need a HT set-up.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,452 of 14,563
Mar 17, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,459 of 14,563

Quote Baldr: My last series of projects has been to make multibit widely available to suit a range of pocketbooks...

I concur with @AviP  A small multibit between Fulla & Modi for 'pocketbooks' (unless I have mistranslated...entirely possible)

I dunno, those SHARC chips are pretty big.

But maybe with an architecture switch (or a smaller forthcoming SHARC).

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #2,460 of 14,563

Mode A might be best for classical, jazz fans might prefer Mode B, then there's Baldr's reserve setting at Mode C. And Mode D could be the Frankenstein channel, full user adjustment.

For what definitions of their genres would this work?

"Classical" as meant by which of the following composers:

Hildegaard von Bingen, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Stravinsky, Gerswhin, or Glass?

"Jazz" as meant by which of the following artists:

Parker, Brubeck, Sun Ra, Coleman, Metheny, Pastorius, or Brahem?

There are huge style differences within a genre. I can't imagine a simple "genre button" working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back