What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 29, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,261 of 14,564
I promised a brief on the IIYIs (influential intellectuals yet idiots)who are of such an influence in the audio industry. This is it, presented with the following foreword: This is by no means intended to be interpreted as a “conspiracy theory”. I do not believe that any forces are collaborating against better audio. It is just a wider angled view of our audio manufacturing biz than generally considered.

I design and build audio equipment. Any such component, is a sum of its parts. The parts, such as capacitors, inductors, resistors, and semiconductors have tremendous power in determining the electronic performance and therefore sound of anything I build. If I am what I eat, the component I design is what parts I pick and combine.

In the manufacture of audio gear, there are two general categories of parts – actives and passives. Most passives, at the risk of generalization, are divided into “commercial grade” normal performing and speciality grade “high performing”. These components are used in any and all sorts of electronic products: analog, digital, medical, consumer, etc., etc. The semiconductors (actives) used in manufacture are a far more significant determinant of the performance of the final product. This leads to the question - “Who decides which active parts to make?” Could it be the IIYI’s? You bet.

A count of major semiconductors makers in the US and Europe reveals about a dozen or so. Careful perusal of a few of of the makers’ marketing people reveal an extrapolated total of 18 product managers PMs (1- 2 per company) who determine the pattern and families of parts which are made available for audio manufacturers.

Several years ago, I was drafted to serve on a EIA board which negotiated with the as yet not risen to power EU’s regulations. Not having the power to tax, the EU seemed to impose as many regulations on their future member nations as possible, including very expensive ones: pointless rf radiation requirements for D/A converters, stupid over engineering requirements for power transformers, bend specs for bananas, passports for horses, ban on tea bag recycling, etc. I can state that I have never seen such a useless and inapplicable collection of regulations which do nothing to protect and everything to increase the cost of goods to the buyer. The reason I bring this up is that these same PMs, liked to hang out on the boards with the “screw the European consumer with regulation” policy wonks I was fighting with in the EIA. The majority of them have never worn a good set of cans nor listened to a good pair of speakers. They had no passion for music. They could not grasp the difference between science and scientism. They did however, have all of the right school pedigrees. EEs with MBAs, and not from online institutions either. They were no fun and only expert at advising others on what they couldn’t do themselves. IIYIs all.

These types are also seen at AES shows, where their corporate sponsors are handing out grants to favored academics, doing all they will to influence papers which inform semiconductor development. High end oriented types are predictably and condescendingly marginalized by the status quo at AES shows. I am not speaking of faith based hawkers of magic clocks or previously frozen cables. I speak of advocates of better performing gear (me) assured by the AES masters that over a certain level of performance, nothing is audible. Hence the rise of Delta Sigma DACs. Cheap – good for business. This is the arena where all acceptable manufacture is blessed. If it ain’t endorsed at the AES, it ain’t entering the mainstream. It is also the reason that all of my best performing and sounding DACs are derived from industrial rather than audio intended parts. Screw the IIYIs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 29, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,262 of 14,564
  Not having the power to tax, the EU seemed to impose as many regulations on their future member nations as possible, including very expensive ones: pointless rf radiation requirements for D/A converters, stupid over engineering requirements for power transformers, bend specs for bananas, passports for horses, ban on tea bag recycling, etc.

The banana curvature regulation stands to me as the pinnacle of useless government regulation. Who cares if the bananas are straight, slightly curved or very curved as long as they taste good?

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,263 of 14,564
How else can I buy proper fitting banana cases if they don't follow strict regulations?
blink.gif

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,266 of 14,564
So I come to this thread because there is usually some very interesting sometimes cerebral and sometimes over my head discussions. Then I see a Banana holder that at first, looked like it belonged on the wall of some 24 hour shop in the red light district of town and a sticker that read" batteries included for your" umm... You get the point. After the Initial What moment, I then read the comment and had a good laugh. My initial thought of what the phallic symbol is still pertinent to Mike's Post. I am known to Refer to people from time to time as a "tool" or "tools"  Those IIYI's Mike referred to Would be Classified as Tools in My Book, However there is now a Special Class of tool for the IIYI's out there which I will say is code named  banana holder. Mike Ended with "Screw the IIYI's" Well now they can go screw themselves.

I went to the Nashville Meet Yesterday and listened to a good variety of gear, There were 2 Pieces that stood out to me. The Kick in the head that I got from a pair of LCD 4's The unexpected low end did make me grin. And a Yggy because there was serious holy schiit moments. I had the LCD4 on for all of 5 minutes. I kept circling back to the Yggy. It did not seem to matter what cans were plugged in. There was detail there that was almost scary. I heard the pick on the guitar strings and brushes on cymbals with detail I have never heard before. I for one I am Glad The Schiit Team has Decided to give the collective Know it alls a Collective Middle Finger.

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,267 of 14,564
  The majority of them never worn a good set of cans nor listened to a good pair of speakers. They had no passion for music. They could not grasp the difference between science and scientism. They did however, have all of the right school pedigrees. EEs 

Thanks for bringing up 'scientism'. This, along with sealioning, goes a long way to explaining the hardline "objectivist" movement... Mayhaps it's high time 'Sound Science' got renamed to something more appropriate, say 'Sound Scientism'?

I speak of advocates of better performing gear (me) assured by the AES masters that over a certain level of performance, nothing is audible.

It seems to me as if those making such claims have a tenuous understanding of the scientific method, and of Science 101 concepts like falsifiability and the frustrating difficulty (impossibility?) of definitively proving a negative in an empirical setting.
The discovery of (as of yet) unknown confounding factors is the bedrock of scientific progress, and any claims to 'audible transparency' are simply ludicrous. Especially when dealing with something as noisy and complex to quantify as human perceptions.
Indeed, how do you prove---definitively, incontrovertibly and unambiguously---'audible transparency'? You can't. There's a good reason new measurements (err, testing simulations) are constantly being developed, and audio companies use diverse in-house metrics to attempt to correlate gear performance with subjective perceptions...

Oct 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,268 of 14,564

Thanks for bringing up 'scientism'. This, along with sealioning, goes a long way to explaining the hardline "objectivist" movement... Mayhaps it's high time 'Sound Science' got renamed to something more appropriate, say 'Sound Scientism'?

It seems to me as if those making such claims have a tenuous understanding of the scientific method, and of Science 101 concepts like falsifiability and the frustrating difficulty (impossibility?) of definitively proving a negative in an empirical setting.
The discovery of (as of yet) unknown confounding factors is the bedrock of scientific progress, and any claims to 'audible transparency' are simply ludicrous. Especially when dealing with something as noisy and complex to quantify as human perceptions.
Indeed, how do you prove---definitively, incontrovertibly and unambiguously---'audible transparency'? You can't. There's a good reason new measurements (err, testing simulations) are constantly being developed, and audio companies use diverse in-house metrics to attempt to correlate gear performance with subjective perceptions...

If Everything that was to be discovered has been discovered, all improvements possible have been made and any of the Old Methods are Archaic relics, Then there would be no need for The EIA or other such authorities. Stereophile and other magazines Can pack their bags and RD at all audio companies can just stop, This is not the case however, The So called Authorities Have pushed the Likes of DSD and Now MQA, They have declared Vinyl is dead. 5.1 surround is not enough you need  7.1 or .2 now Atmos.  Yesterday I met someone who loved Grados. Another Guy with a Table full of AKG's who jokingly said about the grado rs series cans, yeahs It sounds pretty good but it's still a Grado. Various Sennheiser HD series were passed around. Human Perceptions are in fact Noisy and Complex, One may think something makes no sense or is absolutely hideous while others revel in its genius or creativity. 

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,271 of 14,564

The banana curvature regulation stands to me as the pinnacle of useless government regulation. Who cares if the bananas are straight, slightly curved or very curved as long as they taste good?

I do remember one gentleman who would always ask me whether I had any straight bananas when I was a young teen working at my local supermarket. By some small twist of fortune there was an absolutely straight one that had arrived on a bunch that day which I kept for just in case he turned up which he did. Never seen a man stare as long and hard at a banana as I did that day.

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #1,272 of 14,564

I do remember one gentleman who would always ask me whether I had any straight bananas when I was a young teen working at my local supermarket. By some small twist of fortune there was an absolutely straight one that had arrived on a bunch that day which I kept for just in case he turned up which he did. Never seen a man stare as long and hard at a banana as I did that day.

That is truly disturbing.

I was once in line at CVS when a gentleman returned 2 boxes of Trojan Magnums (12 ct, one opened already) claiming they were too large. The poor cashier had to call for a manager while everyone in line behind this guy were all unsuccessfully trying our damndest to contain ourselves!

eek.gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,274 of 14,564
^ only if you've been playing his 45s at 33 :p

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,275 of 14,564
Today, officially we have a new addition to the Schiit R&D team. Dr. Ivana (pronounced eevana) joined us full time today after her completion of a four week research and coding exercise related to the Manhattan project. Much of her doctoral research dealt with musically derived moods, and her Bachelor’s and Master’s are both in Computer Science. Her initial project is to  derive algorithms and write code for Manhattan, which means we will have a better, cheaper, and less hardware intensive Manhattan.

Dave and myself integrate well with her, and she is quirky enough to fit right in as a Schiitster. This bodes well for not only the Manhattan, but many other we projects that we may finally consider producing.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back