1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)

Discussion in 'Mike Moffat (Baldr)' started by baldr, Oct 13, 2015.
First

Back
793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802
804 805 806
Next

Last
  1. RickB
    When you say stuff like that, you just motivate Jason... :ksc75smile:

US Blues and Ripper2860 like this.
  2. audio philestine
    Don't be so quick to give up. They're surprisingly easy to build if you know how to operate a soldering iron. And even if you don't this is a great project to use for having someone who knows how to solder teach you how.

The components are fairly big, and not too close together, and reasonably heat tolerant. This was designed as a beginner project, after all.

Paladin79 likes this.
  3. Ableza
    The difference between an amplifier built with discrete circuitry and one built with OpAmps is pretty simple. The OpAmp contains a bunch of circuit components miniaturized into a single chip. A discrete design means those components are separate items. OpAmp might contain a set of transistors surrounded by the resistors and capacitors needed to make it work correctly, all in one very small package. A discrete design might mean those transistors, resistors and capacitors are all separately soldered to the printed circuit board. OpAmps are a bit like plug and play (not really, but by comparison) while discrete designs are built from scratch.

4. SpeakerBox
    What he ^^^^^^^^^^ said!

5. ScubaMan2017
    Really?! So, the Magni and Vali are both class AB. I just learned something here. Thanks, eh.

BTW - would my little Fulla 2 also be classified as AB?

6. ScubaMan2017
    Alright. THAT makes sense now. Danke.

Ableza likes this.
  7. ScubaMan2017
    Nice!

8. Paladin79
    I have built those if you get into them and need help.

9. Ripper2860
    Yep -- Fulla 2 is Class AB. After Asgard 2, the only 'Pure' class A amp left is Valhalla 2. :wink:

** Aeiger is a Class AB 'Continuity' amp biased at 10w class A. Technically still a class AB amp, however.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    thebmc and sam6550a like this.
  10. bosiemoncrieff
    Did an a/b with my 1ZPresso hand crank grinder (at .2) and the EK (at 1.0) with 18.5g of Ritual Coffee's Ace espresso roast (which is on the most medium side of light - visually darker than I'm used to but without a hint of char) into ~41g in the cup. It's shocking how good 1ZPresso is at $159. Of course, EK has greater clarity, and the difference between them is marked. Flat burr sets are, all things being equal, more precise than conical. But if you want a super performant grinder for not a lot of money that is built like a tank and will turn out great tasting coffee from espresso to French press - the JX-Pro is a great option that I strongly recommend. When you dump the motor, you can spend a lot more on quality burrs, and the Taiwanese company seems to sit in the price/performance sweet spot. Most hand crank grinders take 4-5 minutes to grind all the beans for 1 cup of coffee. These very large 48mm burrs grind through in ~30 seconds, sometimes less.

For an upgrade pick, they also have a JE-plus series with a DLC coating on the burrs, as well as a K-series titanium set as well. I have the standard stainless steel. The regular JX-series is $40 cheaper but lacks the fine-tuning necessary for espresso. If pour over, French press, and cold brew are your coffee brewing methods of choice, the standard JX is well regarded.

RickB likes this.
  11. rkw
    Same as audio. Good performance is available at very reasonable cost. Moving up the chain may require much more money for only small incremental gains.

12. SpeakerBox
    Nice review Bosie.

bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  13. Whazzzup
    If one lives in a city with a Jura service centre as I do, they are top notch modern facility. They will fix repair you're machine for free, or at the discretion of service manager, and have a capacino while they service ones machine on the spot. Just as an FYI.

bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  14. Timster
    Thanks for the review, and the heads up about the 1Z grinder. I am going to add this to my shopping list, looks awesome and a big step up over my current travel hand grinder from Hario.

I know you have the Breville Dual Boiler, did you ever have the Smart Grinder companion and, if so, how does the 1Z compare?

15. Whazzzup
    Love breville frother

First

Back
793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802
804 805 806
Next

Last