What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #9,961 of 14,563
@Baldr What is the minimum Linux kernel version that supports the new Schiit USB interface?

Feb 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #9,962 of 14,563
cat.gif

Feb 23, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #9,964 of 14,563
@Baldr I was following the news of the new USB interface that you develop and as mentioned in Jason’s posts the Unison USB is now in beta stage being possible to appear as an option on some of your’s DACs within this year. Anyhow this is just half of story as the DAC side is the receiving part of the USB. As I understood you mentioned that the new Schiit USB solved the full USB chain and you was working on both USB Rx &Tx. I know from your posts and videos that the Tx part will be included in your further digital products with digital output when these will be ready.
Have you considered to make it available also independently as a PC card or standalone product (similar to the current EITR that will be retired probably) or more intresting in a simple RPi HAT? I’m mostly intrested in the RPi board (or independent module if this will not be) and even if it looks as a small niche product I think you will be surprised how many people choose the path of using an RPi as a streaming solution instead or complementary to a PC setup as this allow to move the PC far away from the audio setup. (I use such setup connected to the DAC by AES or BNC SPDIF)
The RPi USB out is really bad but there are many hats now that are easy to use providing SPDIF/AES or even I2S digital outputs of good quality, avoiding the dreadful RPi USB. Your USB board will be definitely a first and probably the best solution for an USB Out. There are some solutions to have an USB out board from RPi but they are complicated and anyhow they are based on the present USB chips.
I had some hopes in regards with such solution especially because, as far as I understood, your further digital products will probably integrate an RPi as an internal computer unit so probably development of such a board will be at least partially covered in the process.
With such kind of product it will be posdible to have a full Schiit Unison USB chain covering both parts of USB.
Even if such kind of product will not happens could you please share more information on the technical part of your new USB interface approach and what you considered the biggest issue with the current implementation (clocking, noise....).
I know that you are busy with many projects and this subject is maybe not your usual kind of product but if you could express your point of view on this ideas will be very interesting and highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #9,965 of 14,563
@Baldr I was following the news of the new USB interface that you develop and as mentioned in Jason’s posts the Unison USB is now in beta stage being possible to appear as an option on some of your’s DACs within this year. Anyhow this is just half of story as the DAC side is the receiving part of the USB. As I understood you mentioned that the new Schiit USB solved the full USB chain and you was working on both USB Rx &Tx. I know from your posts and videos that the Tx part will be included in your further digital products with digital output when these will be ready.
Have you considered to make it available also independently as a PC card or standalone product (similar to the current EITR that will be retired probably) or more intresting in a simple RPi HAT? I’m mostly intrested in the RPi board (or independent module if this will not be) and even if it looks as a small niche product I think you will be surprised how many people choose the path of using an RPi as a streaming solution instead or complementary to a PC setup as this allow to move the PC far away from the audio setup. (I use such setup connected to the DAC by AES or BNC SPDIF)
The RPi USB out is really bad but there are many hats now that are easy to use providing SPDIF/AES or even I2S digital outputs of good quality, avoiding the dreadful RPi USB. Your USB board will be definitely a first and probably the best solution for an USB Out. There are some solutions to have an USB out board from RPi but they are complicated and anyhow they are based on the present USB chips.
I had some hopes in regards with such solution especially because, as far as I understood, your further digital products will probably integrate an RPi as an internal computer unit so probably development of such a board will be at least partially covered in the process.
With such kind of product it will be posdible to have a full Schiit Unison USB chain covering both parts of USB.
Even if such kind of product will not happens could you please share more information on the technical part of your new USB interface approach and what you considered the biggest issue with the current implementation (clocking, noise....).
I know that you are busy with many projects and this subject is maybe not your usual kind of product but if you could express your point of view on this ideas will be very interesting and highly appreciated.
Gpio pins on the rpi do not have enough bandwidth to support a usb controller. That's why Allo used Sparky as basis for their USBridge board.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #9,966 of 14,563
Kernel/nutshell?
O'Reilly cracked that code!

Oh, Qobuz has The Trinity Sesson; 16 bit, but hey...
I discovered the Cowboy Junkies just this year. The Trinity Session is something else. The first track, Mining For Gold, has a low rumble on my purchased CD. And then SHE starts singing. Wow!

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #9,967 of 14,563
OK, some help here. With all the classical expertise evidenced here I thought I'd ask...

My wife is looking for easy to play violin & piano processional and recessional music. Any suggestions? Bonus points if it's a woman composer.

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #9,969 of 14,563
When I started using a computer (Win7) as a music server, I was at times getting strange interruptions to the music.
I wasn't streaming, just playing music files located on the computer.
The music would (randomly) drop out and require a restart to clear.
The problem carried over to when I switched from Win7 to the current Macbook Pro.

One idea proffered by my friend @Currawong was to disable the Flash player.
This seemed to help, quite a bit. The Gen5 USB from Schiit Audio helped further :)

FYI, friends.
http://www.howtogeek.com/222275/how-to-uninstall-and-disable-flash-in-every-web-browser/

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #9,971 of 14,563
Also, Windows sucks as a music server. (ducks and covers) :L3000:

I agree. That's why I went to OS X. It's much better and especially with JRiver and USB Gen5 :)
No more Windoze for me, ever!

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #9,972 of 14,563
Using Windows 8.1 as a music server/player for many years now without any problems. WASAPI and ASIO drivers work just fine with Yggy.
Players used several: Foobar (too complex for me). Musicbee (free and very good). Now on Roon since a few weeks. I like what I see.
Never ever had any hiccups.
Use Rpi as well with PI 2 Design 502 DAC using the AES/EBU or BNC out to Yggy. That Rpi kept giving me trouble, not booting, loosing contact with drive etc. Since last version of Volumio it's stable now.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #9,973 of 14,563
Using Windows 8.1 as a music server/player for many years now without any problems. WASAPI and ASIO drivers work just fine with Yggy.
Players used several: Foobar (too complex for me). Musicbee (free and very good). Now on Roon since a few weeks. I like what I see.
Never ever had any hiccups.
Use Rpi as well with PI 2 Design 502 DAC using the AES/EBU or BNC out to Yggy. That Rpi kept giving me trouble, not booting, loosing contact with drive etc. Since last version of Volumio it's stable now.

If you stick with Roon, there are a Pi specific Roon endpoints that work well. I use DietPi as a lightweight OS and it has a command line config utility (that is, textual :)) that allows one to set up all the key parameters including support for most all the HiFi HATs. You have to be happy using Linux CLI but once its setup, my experience is that it runs itself.

Cheers

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #9,975 of 14,563
For Roon, the most recommended Pi distro is Ropieee: it's lean, clean, no black magic. On my work non-Roon Pi+502DAC I use piCorePlayer, which requires some setup but works very well. I've given up on Volumio several years ago and it did not impress me when I tried it for my work system. Bloated, slow, too many options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back