What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 26, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #9,856 of 14,564
As a trombonist I've always loved playing both the Stravinsky Mass and the Octet. They couldn't be more different than Firebird and the Rite. Also, from Norman Lebrecht: The Berlin Phil has announced they are releasing a 22 CD set of the complete WW2 Furtwangler recordings:
https://slippedisc.com/2019/01/berlin-phil-to-release-furtwanglers-war-records/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+slippedisc/nICW+(Slipped+Disc)

Octet is such a beautiful work. Every time I listen to it I wish that I could play the bassoon.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #9,857 of 14,564
I must be confused (again).
What's the difference between "Redbook" and 44.1?
I thought they were the same resolution - thank you.
:)

All Redbook is 44.1, but not all 44.1 is Redbook.

JC

Well, I fully agree with that statement, and I have "only" the 19-bit GMB/A2.
The sound is magical on all CDs that I buy.
I always rip them to 16/44.1 ALAC, so is that technically "Redbook?"

The Redbook is a set of specifications describing CDs. https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/Red-Book

If the music came from a CD then yes, it conforms to the Redbook specs.

I need to hit the reference books again. Redbook-CD ... is that a redundant statement? I’ve been focussing WHO produced the recording (or WHO was the balance engineer [or tonemeister?!])... as my guide to discovering new material. Chesky Records is apparently a manufacturer of quality discs. Hmmm...

Jan 26, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #9,858 of 14,564
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #9,859 of 14,564
Norman Lebrecht has posted the Berlin Phil has released a 22 CD set of Furtwangler's WW2 recordings:
https://slippedisc.com/2019/01/berlin-phil-to-release-furtwanglers-war-records/)
That's quite a chilling photo Lebrecht chose for the article. Furtwangler opposed the Nazi regime, but some would not forgive him for continuing to conduct in Germany during the war (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Furtwängler). The Chicago Symphony appointed him as music director but withdrew it under pressure — one of the great "what if" scenarios in classical music.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #9,860 of 14,564
What if the Americans had just bought the Berlin Phil outright?

anyway, sfs just nailed Don Juan. Great performance.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #9,861 of 14,564
Philadelphia Opera is doing Britten's Midsummer Nights Dream and then Don Giovanni. Daughter says we have to go to both :wink:

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #9,866 of 14,564
Are there any plans to incorporate the Schiit usb interface (the transmitter side) in devices other than the Schiit transport?

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #9,867 of 14,564
The Mona Lisa is popular and is art. Therefore, your logic is flawed.

While I agree with your logic, I have seen the Mona Lisa in person in the Louvre and was unimpressed. I seriously have no idea why it is famous other than it is by Leonardo Da Vinci. To be clear, if you like, as apparently most of the world loves, the Mona Lisa, that's cool, I just don't understand what the buzz is about.

I generally love renaissance and classical art, but just don't get most modern or abstract art. I do enjoy Art Museums and have been to various famous art museums in Jerusalem, Rome, Florence, Paris, London, and some less famous ones in Amman, and around the U.S.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #9,870 of 14,564
While I agree with your logic, I have seen the Mona Lisa in person in the Louvre and was unimpressed. I seriously have no idea why it is famous other than it is by Leonardo Da Vinci. To be clear, if you like, as apparently most of the world loves, the Mona Lisa, that's cool, I just don't understand what the buzz is about.

I generally love renaissance and classical art, but just don't get most modern or abstract art. I do enjoy Art Museums and have been to various famous art museums in Jerusalem, Rome, Florence, Paris, London, and some less famous ones in Amman, and around the U.S.
Try Amsterdam!
Problem with the Mona Lisa is that before you see it in real you ve been sleeping under a Mona Lisa blanket and drank coffee out of a ML mock.
Don t forget it s been 500 years ago the Leonardo era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back