What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #9,256 of 14,564
Living in Arizona became much better when a Rosati's opened near me. Authentic Chicago thin crust. Yum. They also serve so-called "deep-dish," which to me has always been considered less a pizza and more a casserole.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #9,257 of 14,564
There's pizza and there's pizza.
Not everyone is happy with the Napolitan originals.
That's ok. Eat your own.
I complimented Bosie here on how his pizza looked.
Pride forbid him to answer to that. Even that is fine.
My pizza however is the best there is.
Not something to be humble about.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #9,258 of 14,564
I like pizza from Costco. :blush:

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #9,259 of 14,564
Only the thinnest pizza crust. Change my mind.
Nope. You’re right on the money.
(Longo’s Supermarket hot-table) > ([Sobey’s] + [Metro-Dominion] + [Canadian Superstore] + [Costco]).
And Chicago pizza?... tried it. And that’s enough.
:ksc75smile:

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #9,260 of 14,564
Back to the scheduled program from pizza randomness: did y'all hear @Baldr on the Dar.ko vid? Very interesting stuff:
  • New Schiit USB receiver, super-simple and high-quality, is pretty much ready to include in new products, and sounds as good (better?) than S/PDIF
  • Schiit Pi (love the pun) is a stripped-down Pi-based board that will allow much more flexible control and DSP in future products; maybe it will be used in some kind of digital source among other uses, but no full-fledged streamer with a UI, they totally do not want to be in the software business
  • Gadget transmogrifies into a more general sound processor that besides pitch will also address range compression and tempo; it seemed that it might be based on Schiit Pi
  • There were some hints from Jason and Mike at other things, maybe the crazy high carrier frequency class-D-done-right
  • As always, many ideas and prototypes, but Jason made it very clear that anything and everything might bite the dust -- well, not the USB receiver

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #9,261 of 14,564
Back to the scheduled program from pizza randomness: did y'all hear @Baldr on the Dar.ko vid? Very interesting stuff:
  • New Schiit USB receiver, super-simple and high-quality, is pretty much ready to include in new products, and sounds as good (better?) than S/PDIF
  • Schiit Pi (love the pun) is a stripped-down Pi-based board that will allow much more flexible control and DSP in future products; maybe it will be used in some kind of digital source among other uses, but no full-fledged streamer with a UI, they totally do not want to be in the software business
  • Gadget transmogrifies into a more general sound processor that besides pitch will also address range compression and tempo; it seemed that it might be based on Schiit Pi
  • There were some hints from Jason and Mike at other things, maybe the crazy high carrier frequency class-D-done-right
  • As always, many ideas and prototypes, but Jason made it very clear that anything and everything might bite the dust -- well, not the USB receiver

Yeah, I tried replying in Jason's thread but it's locked for some reason, I dunno What went on today but looks like a lot of stuff was modded out...

John Darko talks with Jason and Mike at RMAF 2018 and Mike spills the beans about what he is working on.

WOW, great interview! Lots of SOL info, really looking forward to it! Also I love how many F bombs the guys kept dropping :D

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #9,263 of 14,564
Yeah, I tried replying in Jason's thread but it's locked for some reason, I dunno What went on today but looks like a lot of stuff was modded out...

WOW, great interview! Lots of SOL info, really looking forward to it! Also I love how many F bombs the guys kept dropping :D

I listened to that interview tonight, on Schitty assed gen 3 USB no less. I thought the mimby did a great job presenting the texture and tonality of Mikes and Jasons voices. Those two have some cool things cooking. Especially interested in Mike's wing. Aegir sounds awesome, but Mike wins on sheer quantity of potential products. The turntable sounds like it will be awesome.

I laughed my ass off through most of the interview. (Beer mod)

I always enjoy listening to Mike talk while watching Jason's eyes and facial expressions. His eyes don't lie. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #9,265 of 14,564

Some jimmies were rustled.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #9,267 of 14,564
Noob question (sorry folks, Schiit Happened is locked atm, and i don't want to lose this thought, being buzzed on suds and all)

I have a magni 3 and modi 3. I was reading Sterophile the other day, (sorry if this offends folks, ima noob), and Jim Austin was talking about the benefit of pairing high output voltage dacs & preamps with low gain amps. Quote " the combination of high source output voltage and modest amplifier gain is optimal for minimizing noise and distortion". I have always found my CCA into mimby optical into magni 3 sounded better on low gain then high gain. I was also watching one of Paul's videos today, and he was talking about headroom and linearity.

So my questions are this. If I leave my magni in low gain, does that correlate to the amp staying in class A longer (as it relates to the volume pot position) compared to high gain? Me being a noob I'd assume the more you turn the pot in high gain the quicker the amp leaves class A, and that we want to keep it in class A for as long as we can, to keep that sinewave nice and linear.

And then what I'm really trying to figure out is how this applies to the pre amp portion. Am I correct in assuming the signal strength is like a snowball rolling downhill? The longer it rolls the larger it gets. If you feed an amp (class a/ab/d) a strong signal (voltage) from a good source, does more of that originating signal make its way to the speakers then if a weak signal is massively amplifed once it hits the amplification circuit?

A better analogy might be this. At one point I worked at a natural gas pipeline compressor station. This plant had large compression ignition engines that pulled and then pushed the natural gas down the pipeline. 4 large compressors, 8 cylinders per, each compressor the size of a tennis court, 3 stories high. This pipeline was something like 1500 miles long with compressor stations every 50-75 miles or so. There were only two stations on the pipeline that had compression style pull/push engines. The rest of the pumping stations were jet engine style fan compressors. Basically these other compressors had no suction capabilities, they could only increase the speed and pressure of the gas that was being pushed into them.

Is this an ideal way to get a high quality signal through an amplifer? The stronger/better the signal the less the amplifer needs to do? The more the amp needs to work the more the signal is changed, for good or for bad. If an amp has a stronger signal put into it, it can stay in it's peak linearity zone longer?

Will I get better sound through my existing aged 2 ch system if I run mimby into magni into my amp? As opposed to just mimby into the 2ch rig?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #9,269 of 14,564
did y'all hear @Baldr on the Dar.ko vid? Very interesting stuff:
... [snip] ...
  • Gadget transmogrifies into a more general sound processor that besides pitch will also address range compression and tempo
What they were discussing isn't called tempo (which is speed). I don't know if there's a formal musical term for it — musicians talk of playing (or singing) before the beat, on the beat, after the beat.

Here's an explanation: https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/10/26/playing-ahead-or-behind-the-beat/

A demonstration by drummer Conor Guilfoyle, who commented:
I'm always asked by students about this concept so here's a quick demo. This is not scientific and I know it's not exact and sometimes I make adjustments but I hope gives a idea of the different feels. It's for jazz drumming and the differences are very subtle.The "behind the beat feel" is more obvious then the "in front of the beat feel". I'm playing along to the Allan Cox instructional CD "Meet the bass player". It's "Rhythm Changes",and I change every 8 bars and the tempo is 120 BPM.

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #9,270 of 14,564
This has been exactly my issue with the Gadget. The tuning is part of a performance, just like tempo. If a musician plays something in A=440 and again in A=432, they would play it differently. To retune a 440 recording to 432 isn't representative of how the musician would actually play the same music in 432.

So I feel that the Gadget doesn't just change the sound. It effectively changes the performance.

I accept that some people say do whatever sounds best to you, but the artist intention matters to me. Suppose there is a Gadget-2 to adjust playback speed without affecting pitch or degrading sound quality. Would you use it to modify performances by your favorite artists?
If we the artist knew how their intentions arrive to us, then they probably only play live. I think most musicians just want us to enjoy their art in the way we are happy (Neil Young aside) and after mp3 from a ‘mono’ boom cilinder it is easy to improve avrg playback system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back