What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 20, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #7,996 of 14,563
I used to hate it when they assumed I was a senior. Anymore, count me in if I save some money....

:L3000:

IHOP (International House of Pancakes) Senior Menu can be taken advantage of at 55 years. Took me 3-years before I could bring myself to order from the Senior Menu, but now it just rolls off the tongue -- "I'll have coffee and the 55+ 2x2x2 -- eggs over medium and bacon, please". A dollar saved is a dollar towards more Schiit!! :L3000:

(I've started to measure all discretionary monetary transactions in fractional Gumby's. Is that a sign of obsession?)

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #7,997 of 14,563
Getting the stitches out tomorrow, and probably x-rays to check on the fractures. Made it in to work every day this week except the Monday I was in the ER all day. Arms are still sore, as is the chin gash, but oh well.

Went to an "everything but the Ring: drinks and drama" event yesterday in the dogpatch. The soprano was great, sang Elsa's dream. Her dream role is Jenufa. The baritone, who sang Wolfram's something something, was ok but led to a ringing in my ears during louder passages. He's like 30 and from New Zealand. Could see him as a sexy Scarpia -- Zeffirelli observed that Tosca has to fear that she would enjoy sleeping with Scarpia for act 2 to work.

Seeing Brahms's D Minor concerto on Saturday. I'll be seeing it twice this season, as with the violin concerto. Nothing the following weekend, and then it's off to the races, with only 3 days off between the 6th (first rheingold dress rehearsal) and the 19th (when I fly to amsterdam): two ring cycles, plus boris godunov, plus an all-day ring forum.

So that's why they call them soap opera's!

PS- Glad you are on the mend.

May 20, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #7,998 of 14,563
and then it's off to the races
My coming musical races are a bit different, purely local. I'll be going to hear Kendrick Scott, Brian Blade, Julian Lage, and Zakir Hussain. Unfortunately I have to miss Jeff Parker, who I really enjoyed yesterday and on a couple of albums I just got) because of an overlap with Brian Blade.

May 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #7,999 of 14,563
Thanks @Victor Martell for sharing your thoughts on the state of classical music with us. I have a couple of comments (I am age 61, a Boomer).

I began to learn classical music on the piano in 1963. Still to this day, I have Bach, Beethoven and Schubert sheet music sitting on my piano, although my favorite music to play is Scott Joplin...just love the rhythm. :)

I would also like to comment on the Nashville Symphony Orchestra and its music director, Giancarlo Guerrero, and their efforts to keep classical music relevant in this city.
Despite the plethora of music in Nashville, you know about it, the NSO has educational events for children, holds many free concerts in the park, and performs/records scores written by modern-day composers - several pieces of which have won Grammy awards in recent years.
Giancarlo is a genius, and he works hard to keep classical music in front of the people in middle TN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giancarlo_Guerrero

FYI and FWIW,
RCB

Yeah - well, the problem with generalizations is that they are not general... sometimes, though, they are useful to frame a problem...

Of course there are individual boomers, gen-Xers, gen-Yers and millennial that love CM. And I am happy for that...However, no one can deny the cultural shift - high art became bob dylan, not schubert...

But you are 100% right - thru the efforts of people like Giancarlo, maybe we have a chance - it all starts at home - but even then it's hard! my kids loved and listened to CM only up until they got into a pop culture dynamic, thanks to guess what? her classmates - many of them were never exposed and whose parents kind of match my generational evaluation I have posted...

So what to do? Giancarlo and others like him help, god bless them. My part? Remember Darwin's bulldog? I am CM's Rottweiler - I will fight, post and put down the attitudes that brought its near demise. That and the kids, of course, I hope that the seed I planted will give fruit later on, when they tire of pop culture... and if god gives me life, I will try the same with the grandkids

v

May 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #8,000 of 14,563
It's all good. When two people share a dry sense of humor, it's sometimes difficult to tell when one is kidding or serious -- especially when it's text.

I too would also love to know more about the 'issues' prompting Mike's post. :D
In a much earlier chapter of Jason's Schiit saga, he talked about writing a chapter on some of the obviously outrageous and funny events associated providing customer service support, but never did. I think he was concerned that the perpetrators of these deeds might be easily identified or unhappy to find their 'errors' captured in print. Baldr does have a more agressive stance on this, plus, when you are close to 70, you get tough skin. I cannot wait to hear some of these tales.

May 20, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #8,001 of 14,563
Yeah - well, the problem with generalizations is that they are not general... sometimes, though, they are useful to frame a problem...

So what to do? Giancarlo and others like him help, god bless them. My part? Remember Darwin's bulldog? I am CM's Rottweiler - I will fight, post and put down the attitudes that brought its near demise. That and the kids, of course, I hope that the seed I planted will give fruit later on, when they tire of pop culture... and if god gives me life, I will try the same with the grandkids
Thanks, Victor. I am happy to be useful in any way, at my age.
My 15-yr old grand daughter has CM on her iPhone. Yesterday, she was humming Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
One step at a time, mate!

Prosit --
RCB

May 20, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #8,002 of 14,563
Can anyone give an update on the Schiit SOL? I read it will be available "late summer" by chance? In addition to the SOL itself, I assume one will ALSO need to purchase a MANI plus a MM/MC cartridge of choice? Is this about correct? Will Schiit tell us which cartridges they use for development/prototypes?

May 20, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #8,003 of 14,563
And by youngsters, are referring to those 60 or younger? I'm 58 and would love to show the wife and kids that I am technically still a 'youngster'. :D

1q8Uj9x.jpg

May 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #8,004 of 14,563
Well. It's official. I'm no longer a youngster. :angry:

May 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #8,005 of 14,563
My answers below. Stupid easy quiz.

Tube Quiz
Your uncle Bob gives you a box of old tubes. You stick them: Up my ass

Your amp has been happily running for a couple of hours using the stock tube. You want to try the fancy-pants new tube you bought for a trillion dollars. You:
Reflect on the amount of money you paid for your new tube and commit suicide​

All 8-pin tubes fit all 8-pin sockets, so they’re all fine to swap.
False​

To check the temperature of an operating tube, it’s best to use: (trick question because either will work)
Your dick
Your tongue​

When inserting 8-pin tubes, you should:
Gently pound it in if it doesn’t go in easily, tubes should be simpler to use, damnit​

All nine-pin tubes have exactly the same pinouts and work the same in all amps, so feel free to swap any type for another
True​

Using the wrong tube in an amplifier can cause:
Hemorrhoids​

You plugged in a new tube and it doesn’t glow after the amp is turned on. You should:
Try a fancy power cable—it may just need better power​

For a US-made noval or octal tube, numbers that start with 6 usually indicate a 6V heater, while 12 indicates a 12V heater.
False​

Tubes were invented by:
Nikola Tesla, he invented everything! And he talked to aliens, too! Told you everything goes back to aliens!

May 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #8,006 of 14,563
Ummmm. This is all because I bought a Lyr 3, isn't it? :rolling_eyes:
I learned NEVER to put true & false questions on student tests. There was always ONE critter who somehow were able to argue the OTHER answer. Clever, actually...

May 20, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #8,007 of 14,563
May 21, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #8,008 of 14,563
Damn if he wasn’t right. The questions were so common sense that someone, even if not an infantry vet such as myself, in fact someone who had any firearm training, never been hunting, seen or handled any firearm (or even BB gun), baited a fishing hook, or ever worn a boot could easily pass.

IQ tests were developed in the wake of WWI when the Army found that the indiscriminate arming of morons had resulted in a disproportionate number of battlefield casualties by 'friendly fire'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back