What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #7,891 of 14,563
May 15, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #7,892 of 14,563
Sign me up. I'll take a $6,000 player's technology for $500 ...

https://www.psaudio.com/directstream-memory-player/

I'll take one too!

In the UK, Linn stopped making CD transports several years ago, citing the advantages of streaming over mechanical disc spinners;
https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/the-disc-is-dead-why-cd-shouldnt-live-forever
They now focus entirely on network players as a digital source, and of course they still make turntables for those who love vinyl.
Their top of the range network player, the Klimax DSM3, costs £18,900!
It does sounds very good, as it should at that price. However, I prefer the sound of my old Logitech Transporter ( a 10 year old network player) feeding an upgraded Yggy at about a sixth of the cost.
Thanks Mike :L3000:

May 15, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #7,893 of 14,563
Just my 2 cents. But let's assume ripping to a lossless file and playing the file is better than a cd transport. Could you not simply have the cd transport (or whatever it would then be called) rip lossless to an internal buffer and play that file from buffer to DAC?
All CD players/transports must do buffering to some extent – it's a required part of pulling the raw bits off the disc and decoding it to data bits. A Walkman CD may buffer several seconds of data to maintain uninterrupted playback while the player is jostled about.

May 15, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #7,894 of 14,563
All CD players/transports must do buffering to some extent – it's a required part of pulling the raw bits off the disc and decoding it to data bits. A Walkman CD may buffer several seconds of data to maintain uninterrupted playback while the player is jostled about.

Maybe they do now, however the Sony Discman I had back in 1985 sure didn't, you could look at it sternly and it'd skip...

May 15, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #7,896 of 14,563
How do you guys reorder, skip tracks and make playlists with your favorite tracks on a CD transport? Another disadvantage of it is that you are stuck with whatever is on a single CD until you change it. I know, skipping tracks and playing them out of order is possible but cumbersome and takes time. Maybe skip a single CD player and go with a CD changer at once?

May 15, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #7,897 of 14,563
How do you guys reorder, skip tracks and make playlists with your favorite tracks on a CD transport? Another disadvantage of it is that you are stuck with whatever is on a single CD until you change it. I know, skipping tracks and playing them out of order is possible but cumbersome and takes time. Maybe skip a single CD player and go with a CD changer at once?
We listen to the entire CD from beginning to end, without skipping tracks, and we LIKE IT!

Now, get off my lawn!

May 15, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #7,898 of 14,563
Fractured both elbows yesterday en route to work by bike (see my twitter for pics, lol), and got four stitches in my chin to boot, so probably not doing much hifi for the time being. Looking like I will make it to Amsterdam in late June though...

May 15, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #7,899 of 14,563
Fractured both elbows yesterday en route to work by bike (see my twitter for pics, lol), and got four stitches in my chin to boot, so probably not doing much hifi for the time being. Looking like I will make it to Amsterdam in late June though...
OUOUOUCH! I have always said that bikes are unsafe on crowded city streets. :) Get well soon.

May 15, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #7,900 of 14,563
Bicycles are very dangerous---get a motorcycle. I never had a bike as a kid, and learned to ride a motorcycle in my mid twenties. After riding a BMW for 5 years or so, I got on a bicycle and damn near killed myself trying to learn to ride it. Good music, however, aids the healing process. Be careful.

May 15, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #7,901 of 14,563
May 15, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #7,902 of 14,563
We listen to the entire CD from beginning to end, without skipping tracks, and we LIKE IT!

Now, get off my lawn!

99% of the music I listen to is best consumed as if it were one long track. Most progressive rock/metal albums have a theme and a story. Sure, you could listen to Welcome To The Machine all by itself, but it's so much better when it comes in its place during the whole of Wish You Were Here.

May 15, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #7,904 of 14,563

Scars add character. I know.

Bicycles are very dangerous---get a motorcycle. I never had a bike as a kid, and learned to ride a motorcycle in my mid twenties. After riding a BMW for 5 years or so, I got on a bicycle and damn near killed myself trying to learn to ride it. Good music, however, aids the healing process. Be careful.

One night my high school senior summer I'm cruising. Had a tractor trailer rig in front of me shift one of those big steel plates highway construction crews put over holes in highways where they can't complete the work in one day. It moved just enough to allow me to visit the bottom of the hole. Nothing but 4 wheels for me from that point on. That was over 50 years ago.

May 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #7,905 of 14,563
99% of the music I listen to is best consumed as if it were one long track. Most progressive rock/metal albums have a theme and a story. Sure, you could listen to Welcome To The Machine all by itself, but it's so much better when it comes in its place during the whole of Wish You Were Here.

Exactly, like only listening to 1 track from 2112, or The Astonishing, or The Similitude of a Dream etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back