What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #7,111 of 14,564
@garbulky,

No one can hear anything at -120 db down from the signal, or -90 db down from the signal for that matter and all those linearity and THD+N measuresments are just masturbation after a certain point. You can google about auditory masking curves to read why.

The Yggy is a great DAC because it has a huge overbuilt analog section and @Baldr's filters that he's spent decades tinkering with to get exactly right. The latter is a bigger deal for 16-bit Redbook than you probably think. There's several threads on the diyaudio forum that talk about implementing filters into DIY DAC projects, the different types and their limitations, as well as the effects of running with no filter at all.

Also, remember that CDs were orginally going to be 14-bit to match the practical upper resolution of 1/2" analog master tapes at 30 ips. 16-bit was later chosen to provide a little bit of headroom. Almost 100% of what I listen to comes from analog masters but that number might be a little different for the younger crowd here.
I hear ya but the moment you get to audibility....well suddenly every smartphone DAC and inbuilt motherboard sound card starts throwing their chips in screaming "inaudible!". So I'm always wary of the claim inaudibility.

That's what leads to everybody proudly using Crown amps and their inbuilt soundcard and listening via mp3's very reassured they are hearing the cutting edge! Yep, I just pulled the snob card there! :D :D (My apologies to Drivecore owners).

But I've also encountered tons of hype trains for a relatively new technology. The hyperbole, how this is the magic solution when in actual listen it was different and nice but nowhere near the effusive praise it garners. You keep thinking this is going to be it then you get it and you realize you've been had by a modestly decent product.

However, a lot of the things I feel like I hear in music I feel are on the louder side of "inaudible". For instance the overall tone of the sound - if it's too bright etc. I don't feel like it's always some tiny decibel hiding way down there.

So I think there is a balance. I don't think this has put me off the Yggy totally. I am very subjective imo and if the Yggy can bring more detail than my DC-1 and retain the very smooth coherent sound of the Gungnir MB then I think it could be a win! I am hoping this is the case because I rarely see the Gungnir MB being raved about in reviews but the Yggy, oh yeah, I haven't really seen a negative review. Most of them have been quite positive. The worst I've seen are "about equal" or "slightly behind" some very nice R2R DACs. Also, I really don't want to spend more than $2400 on a DAC!

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #7,112 of 14,564
the 917/30 Can-Am variant was capable of a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) time of 2.3 seconds, 0–124 mph (200 km/h) in 5.3 seconds, and a test track top speed of up to 240 mph (390 km/h). The highest official speed ever clocked for a 917 at Le Mans is 362 km/h or 224.4 mph.

from here,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_917

JJ

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #7,113 of 14,564
What is the top speed of such a car?

With all the aero I would guess about 250 Kmh. It's geared to go 270 Kmh but the tracks I race on have straights that limit the speed to about 220 Kmh.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #7,116 of 14,564
Just like this one...

IDK. We got cars, opera and other random stuff. Do we shout down dissenters? I haven't noticed, maybe cause it's too echo-y in here :wink:

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #7,117 of 14,564
There's this and they really really seem to be the kind of people that have to have the last word. You can see that in his response to my example about measuring the right/wrong thing. His response did nothing but obfuscate/deflect the point and added nothing to furthering the discussion. One can see that type of behavior over and over on that forum. It's like all they know is how to create an echo chamber.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #7,118 of 14,564
...But I've also encountered tons of hype trains for a relatively new technology. The hyperbole, how this is the magic solution when in actual listen it was different and nice but nowhere near the effusive praise it garners. You keep thinking this is going to be it then you get it and you realize you've been had by a modestly decent product.

Been there during my two channel days...

Moved from receivers to value-based separates (Phase Linear)...up the chain (GAS / Sumo)...further up (Bryston, Threshold, ARC, etc.). What I learned, was that the speakers were what really mattered (imo).

So...I scaled back to a brand called Forte and started setting up different rooms in my house -- Jazz/Classical, Rock/Blues, HT, etc. For me, I was much happier. This allowed me to enjoy more music with less compromising.

Seems to me...all this back and forth ignores the central point that the purchase of audio equipment is a personal decision:
- you like price/performance specs without listening...awesome!
- you hear 'plankton'...good for you.

Whatever the methodology, hopefully you own it and it's providing you with a more enjoyable music listening experience.

...Also, I really don't want to spend more than $2400 on a DAC!
Honestly for me, my budget on a DAC/Amp is more like <=$1000...hence the Bimby/Valhalla 2 combo at one listening station for Senns/Beyers, the iFi Audio iDac/iCan SE at another, etc.

Leaves me plenty of $$$$ to get a variety of headphones with different sound signatures...maximizing my enjoyment! :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #7,122 of 14,564
Seems to me...all this back and forth ignores the central point that the purchase of audio equipment is a personal decision:
- you like price/performance specs without listening...awesome!
- you hear 'plankton'...good for you.

Whatever the methodology, hopefully you own it and it's providing you with a more enjoyable music listening experience.
Thank you! You'd be surprised at how some people take it as a personal insult if you decide to do things your way even if in their mind they've shown you inctrontrovertible evidence you shouldn't. So I appreciate what you say. Yes at the end it is a personal journey with the goal of enjoyment in mind and how you get there is up to you.

Honestly for me, my budget on a DAC/Amp is more like <=$1000...hence the Bimby/Valhalla 2 combo at one listening station for Senns/Beyers, the iFi Audio iDac/iCan SE at another, etc.

Leaves me plenty of $$$$ to get a variety of headphones with different sound signatures...maximizing my enjoyment! :L3000:
Nice. I know somebody like you who likes to try different sound signatures. I'm not quite at that level yet. I'm striving at the goal of a final system. Because I want the money spending train to stop and I can just lay back and concentrate solely on enjoying the music. That may be naive though. I already have thoughts of completing a bedroom system. Lol.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #7,124 of 14,564
I know I haven't been around much lately. Nothing personal, so to speak. It seems I have been a bit under the weather lately, which is a very rare thing for me. First I had the torn retina thing, and now I am just getting over a weird skin deal called erythroderma, which is an agressive allergic response to a recent dental antibiotic. It was so bad I was in the hospital a few days but am now home. It feels kinda like a full body sunburn. I am now in the process of losing/sloughing off all of my skin, including my fingers and it is a beyatch to type. The good news is that, for an old fart, all of my vitals are good – heart, etc; this means you are probably stuck with me for quite a while. For now, I feel like Schiit. The docs say it will probably be a week or so more until my skin stops screaming. I'll yak with you then.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back