What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #6,648 of 14,564
As I say, the last image is the least interesting:

36%20Wagner%20Composing%20Parsifal%20c.%201992.jpg

Baldr designing a DAC!

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #6,649 of 14,564
I have to imagine Mike is much more careful and studious in his engineering. He wouldn't just lackadaisically write things, standing up, on sheets of paper and let others casually fall to the floor. I imagine him sitting at a computer with an enormous display working on the minutiae of digital filters.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #6,655 of 14,564
I'm looking for a good thread that discusses headphones for opera and I'm not finding much. This thread keeps mentioning it so maybe someone here can point me in a direction? I've always gone with item's (my last being W4's, may they rest in peace) because I'm on the road a lot. I'm not necessarily opposed to something larger if the boost in quality vs $$$ can justify it. Any suggestions on headphones or threads to check out?

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #6,657 of 14,564
I'm looking for a good thread that discusses headphones for opera and I'm not finding much. This thread keeps mentioning it so maybe someone here can point me in a direction? I've always gone with item's (my last being W4's, may they rest in peace) because I'm on the road a lot. I'm not necessarily opposed to something larger if the boost in quality vs $$$ can justify it. Any suggestions on headphones or threads to check out?

Wilkommen, I see you've just joined us here,

bosiemoncrieff is (I believe) our resident Opera-phile with considerable "live" experience and familiarity with many of the top singers recordings over many decades and he may chime in and has experience with a variety of phones both owned and demo'd that could be helpful to you.

My opera likes are focused on late Mozart, late Wagner, and late Puccini and few odd one-off's here and there. But I'm primarily into orchestral music, piano concertos/sonata's,string quartets and other chamber based string works . I like a phone that brings the orchestra in on an almost equal footing with the singers. Most opera buffs I know are all about the vocal aspects above all else and may prefer having voices come to the fore of the overall sonic picture. Phones that really get the frequency range of the fundamental and harmonic overtones of the human voice correct could trump things like big full sounding bass or even overdone bass, and those ultra-sonic sparkling highs.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #6,658 of 14,564
I have several HP's. I am an opera lover and for that I use exclusively the Sennheiser HD800.

Excellent choice, almost a no brainer. Also can be found at more reasonable cost in some cases now that the HD800S and 820 are available.

I also like my early period music on the HD800.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #6,659 of 14,564
I am definitely not going to offer an opinion here since I am both a headphone noob, and not an opera listener, but as a point of helping others to help you, since you said you are on the road a lot and typically use IEMs, do you need a closed-back design, or fine with open-back?

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #6,660 of 14,564
Thank you both for your responses. I probably fit exactly that description, vocal aspects above all else. I certainly listen for enjoyment quite often but also because it's my profession. Having an accurate representation isn't easy, but when you can manage it, it can be pretty valuable.

I've been reading about the HD800's and if I remember right they're best with an amp, and only good without. Would you agree? I've been considering an amp but again, since I travel so much..... I'm not ruling anything out, just trying to reacquaint myself with the market.

I've been a member here for years but somehow my account stopped working (lack of activity?) and when I contacted support, I couldn't get a response. I tried for a couple months without any luck, then started this account.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back