What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #5,177 of 14,564
Just described the gadget to my guitar hobbyist father. He was blown away by the idea and might be joining me on my trek up to the Schiitr when I'm in LA.

Had a stress dream about forgetting to pack K1000 for Schiitr trip.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5,178 of 14,564
... Had a stress dream about forgetting to pack K1000 for Schiitr trip.

Tell your dad, he'll remind you. Old guys are good for more than just being punching bags to blame for all of current civilizations problems and failures.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #5,179 of 14,564
Hi-Res on QOBUZ only that I could find over here ... but perhaps you could get the CD from the Jazz Family website in the US ? https://difymusic.com/jazz-family#!cd-mathias-levy
Thanks, I know it's on Qobuz in (parts of) EU. As for CD, I try to avoid them because storage is at a premium in my small house. I'll keep looking for your intriguing recommendation online for a while (I keep a wishlist for that :wink:) and cave in to CD if it doesn't show up digitally in a couple of months.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #5,180 of 14,564
FWIW, it's available on Tidal.
Tidal is not my cup of espresso (the standard idiom "cup of tea" doesn't match my decadent habits :wink:) No ECM, not much of the other quirky jazz labels I buy from, and worst of all, streaming is a terrible deal for independent artists.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #5,181 of 14,564
What's better than I²S to feed a DAC chip then? Certainly not S/PDIF AFAIK and they'd rather sell you another chip for USB, provided that they even have one on offer because until recently it took way too much assle to provide windows drivers.
According to Mike (in an earlier post of his), BWD is better than I²S. But, as it'd need some more work before it could become a reliable audio signal transmission method, he needs to address other sections first, one of these being the USB receiver chipset. Now, if I understood the thing correctly, Mike is saying that for some reason (probably engineering laziness) in the course of time digital audio reproduction got stuck on just a few solutions, that have gradually become the 'untouchable' standard. In an era of (mostly) DS DACs, USB audio chipsets makers are making chipsets designed around a DS DAC system, in order to fit their specific characteristics and... ahem, features :wink:. Similarly, (arguably) better audio connectivity solutions, like I²S, have been resurrected from the past (I saw at least a transport+DAC from the 90s that offered such a connection option) and more widely exploited, but they were also designed around a DS DAC architecture, which in turn was most of the time built around a newer USB audio chipset designed for a DS DAC architecture (or designed to better fit it, i.e. having a DS DAC architecture in mind). As I got it (though I could be wrong, of course), I think that Mike has perhaps found a way to: a) either design an USB audio receiver (possibly) more specifically oriented towards some inherent features of multibit DACs and capable of getting rid of other non-audio-related crap (just guessing here); b) or to integrate the USB transmission protocol basics (i.e. the USB audio firmware) into a DSP chipset.

Anyway, if Mike's team will succeed in this, we might be on the eve of another groundbreaking development for digital audio...

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #5,182 of 14,564
Thanks a lot for the heads-up, there's 99% OT threadcrapping in both Schiit owners threads so it's dang hard to keep track of genuinely interesting infos but slowly my ignore list pays off :D

So this is what it is all about:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-272#post-13651203

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-274#post-13653225

Long story short, I'll stick to USB coz I've done way too much homework with filters, DIY cables injecting 5V iPower, low-ppm USB controllers yadi yada but I like my DAC's to be <$300 so I don't get too much hit when they become obsolete 1-2 years later and I like to keep it all behind the PC to avoid desk clutter so any improvement going from USB to multibit will be most welcome :)
Regarding OT talk, I recorded this guy with his dad during the late 90's while working at a parisian studio and these guys don't need Grapelli's violin hah:

This guy and a Neumann U87 is all it really takes.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #5,183 of 14,564
Mike is saying that for some reason (probably engineering laziness) in the course of time digital audio reproduction got stuck on just a few solutions, that have gradually become the 'untouchable' standard.

Engineers (bad ones mostly) don't like to work on "solved problems." So they come up with all kinds of contorted reasons to not do things suitable to their specific problems. At least the software "engineers" that I worked with/managed/directed behaved this way. So, not so much laziness but a lack of vision, shall we say.

I always preferred the "seven impossible things before breakfast" approach and then pick the solution that (a) solved the problem and (b) had the best ROI. Then there's engineering to a price point where all good engineering goes to die.

@Baldr is in a great place to address these sorts of things and I envy his freedom a great deal. That he happens to want to make my music sound better rather than send people to Mars is of great benefit to me!

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #5,184 of 14,564
Mike, gotta say that was a really well done Gadget video, you were exceptionally debonair for being #2 at Schiit. Thanks for taking us on this audio journey you and the good doctor have cooked up.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #5,186 of 14,564
Link please
It's on Schiit's Facebook page under posts. You're going to love this, I delete Facebook off my phone after watching the Schiitr Shows because all the notifications and stuff popping up annoy me. I'll reinstall for the next SchiitrShow. I have a Facebook account but haven't used it in a decade!

They should put that stuff on their website, maybe Jason is working on that.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #5,187 of 14,564
I am not sure I would want to be the #2 at a company named Schiit with a store called the Schiitr.

One might get flushed...

:)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #5,188 of 14,564
Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #5,190 of 14,564
Thanks, I know it's on Qobuz in (parts of) EU. As for CD, I try to avoid them because storage is at a premium in my small house. I'll keep looking for your intriguing recommendation online for a while (I keep a wishlist for that :wink:) and cave in to CD if it doesn't show up digitally in a couple of months.
[oops]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back