What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 27, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,846 of 14,564
We agree on this. Simply stating Schiit's historical position as of two days ago then introducing two new products that move away from the argument.
Don't be daft.
They simply added a position without repelling the other.
It is entirely possible to like Rembrandt and Andy Warhol.
You wanna fiddle-le-diddlaway it's now possible.
You don't like it you don't buy it.
This is about music and sound. It's not a political discussion affecting peoples lives.
Relax.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,847 of 14,564
As the artist intended.
To me...and I might be very wrong again...sounds like marketing-BS.
Unless this artist makes only electronic music and does so on only one pc/mac. (Otherwise the mic and room come into play.)
Even this is iffy because he might be using monitors and headphones instead of just watching the sines.
This means his mix is coloured by the tuning of his monitors or headphones. And after that by the tuning of every piece of equipment he uses in later stages.
Still this is nothing compared to regular musicians that go into a studio. With lots of gear and engineers that have opinions. Even they will have to listen to their mixing on someting that has a colour.
After that there will be losses when you go to a medium from a master and so on.
This will never be close to what the artist intended.

And every artist knows that art is compromise anyway.
The day your art is truly what you intended you are done. You can quit now, it will never be better.
I think most artists just intend to entertain you.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #4,849 of 14,564
Please do so for me.
Maybe there's one after all.

upload_2017-9-27_20-1-38.jpeg

Listening to it now. I like what I hear, also from a recording quality point of view. But it is all personal taste of course.....

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #4,851 of 14,564
Could even make the Chicago Symphony Orchstra's Carmina Burana under James Levine sound acceptable.
The sound is quite good but the interpretation sucks big time.
How it differs from the Rundfunkchor und Sinfoni-Orchester from Leipzig under Hegel.
Here the interpretation is sublime but the sound quality sucks.
Pfffffffff.... no eq for that.
What would be your favorite of the whole triptych? did anyone get all three done well enough? Trionfo di Afrodite is my favorite of the three pieces, but still looking for one that satisfies fully for both performance and sound.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,852 of 14,564
The best one I know until this moment is:

folder.jpg

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #4,853 of 14,564
Tnx, I'll buy it and let you know.

Maybe also read these:
https://topear.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/comprehensive-review-orffs-carmina-burana/

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/orff-carmina-burana-7

The one I just recommended is on none of these lists....

Edit: the Hickox recording is actually mentioned in the first link, and called "just plain boring". I am now listening to the Simon Rattle performance on Qobuz. That one is recommended. Interesting listening.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #4,854 of 14,564
Like ABBA?
Precisely! Their first album was what they should have intended.

P.S..
Dear people at Schiit. For the first time ever (since I spent some money on audio) my little -I don`t believe in DAC`s- brother sat on my sofa after some drinks and did not moan and whine about the sound being this or that and too damn costly. He just shut up for a minute or two.
Made me smile. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #4,855 of 14,564
Maybe also read these:
https://topear.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/comprehensive-review-orffs-carmina-burana/

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/orff-carmina-burana-7

The one I just recommended is on none of these lists....

Edit: the Hickox recording is actually mentioned in the first link, and called "just plain boring". I am now listening to the Simon Rattle performance on Qobuz. That one is recommended. Interesting listening.
I know that I will probably be eviscerated for this, but I like the Eugene Ormandy version

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #4,857 of 14,564
The Ormandy is a good one, heard it many years ago. I like the Jochum version for the singing and pacing and detail. The only spoiler is Janowitz "Dulcissime", I owned the original LP at one time and purchased the Galleria Remastering when it came out. The CD (and the LP as I remember it) is on the bright side and when she hangs on to that note I hear some sort of sympathetic resonance that puts a halo around the sound on both the CD and LP and I don't think it's her voice. Something metallic resonating on the stage? Anyway, I also have versions by Previn on EMI and Blomstedt on Decca. I've been waiting patiently on a CD version to come back into stock on the Telarc label with the Atlanta S.O. and Chorus with Runnicles conducting (not the earlier Shaw recording) and it's now available so I just ordered it. I'll do an Orff - Off of all 4 for fun when it comes in. I also want to see how each of my phones handles that note!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #4,858 of 14,564
Alas Mike is NOT right at all in this case.
Too bad it's so far away for me.
I would love to help him on this.

Mike may or may not be right in regards to "The Gadget". But I certainly would trust him way more than someone else who knows less about his project.

I suggest sitting back and waiting for Mike's project and listening to it BEFORE you say he is "NOT right".

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #4,859 of 14,564
That survey praised the Blomstedt/SF Symphony as "The modern classic" recording. I actually attended one of the concert performances that preceded the recording session. It was the first time I heard Carmina Burana and it was an incredible experience. Since then, I've purchased several of the highest regarded recordings (including this), hoping to relive what I experienced. None of them capture the feeling of hearing it live, but this one is among the top choices and has perhaps the best sonics.

611P2EiH4YL._AC_UL320_SR320,320_.jpg

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4,860 of 14,564
My favorite excuse reason for Loki is fixing speaker amp mismatch in headphones and loud speakers. I cannot count the number of times I've read on these and other forums people saying how amp x works great with headphone y, but not z. Perhaps you can now keep y in Loki bypass and z will get some loki dial love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back