What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 17, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #31 of 14,564
popcorn.gif

This should be fun.  Thanks, Mike!

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #32 of 14,564
My first electrostatic was a pair of stax lamdas with the interface box. I had a fellow audiophile rewire the interface box with better wiring. There were  quite a few wires in the interface box . I remembered the stax sounding a lot better after the interface box rewire. I sold the stax after a bit but that was my first experience with electrostatic speakers. Boy headphones have come along way since then.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #33 of 14,564
 My audio odyssey really didn't start until I turned 16. Soon, I had a 20 hour/week job at Market Basket bagging groceries. The first challenge was to get some wheels (a Chevy as old as I for $250). Within a year, I had triple the car budget spent on an AR turntable, a Stanton 681 cartridge, a set of AR 4 speakers, a Dynakit Stereo 70 amplifier and PAS3 preamp, and my first 100 or so albums. Then, as now, I detested pop music and bought mostly classical, folk, and jazz releases.

In my junior year, I bought an album that changed my life: 12 String Guitar by the Folkswingers. It was an instrumental album featuring Glen Campbell playing a 12 string guitar backed by the bluegrass group The Dillards. That was my first exposure to bluegrass. I was floored by the virtuosity and by how good the album sounded. Within weeks I had spent more than I had in my car on a banjo and I was off to McCabe's to get lessons. I began playing informally at a lot of bluegrass meets and had a chance to hear a huge variety of acoustical instruments played live. This gave me new perspective on the primary function of a music system - to reproduce and replay recorded music.

In my senior year, a friend of mine told me about Jonas Miller Stereo as a great place to find exotic audio equipment. So I drove up in jeans and t-shirt in my really schiity Chevy to Beverly Hills. I had to park around the corner and attracted some very What are you stares from a few locals. I was relieved when I was treated very cordially by none other than Jonas himself.

I was in the process of a JBL paragon demo (like I could afford it at $2200) and was impressed only by its volume. In the rear of the same room there were two copper colored screens that were stunning in their ugliness. Since there were two of them, I assumed that they were speakers as opposed to space heaters. Jonas mentioned they were niche speakers particularly well suited for classical music. Interest piqued, Jonas played me a Jascha Horenstein Mahler First Symphony. I walked around and was unimpressed. Jonas then pulled up a dining room table style chair, placed it about 5 feet in front of the speakers, angled them toward me roughly 30 degrees off of flat, indicated for me to sit, and then solemnly intoned: “they are really large headphones”. He put on Mahler's first again, and left the room. The next thing I remember, the needle was in the inner groove making its clicka, clicka, clicka sound, when Jonas returned, smiling. I was stunned – it was a spiritual experience. Any other speaker discussion was irrelevant. There were no more words. I was beyond emotion in awe and wonder. I gave him my copy of the Folkswinger record – he put it on and left again. That was it. I was converted.

When he returned, I was informed the speakers were $165 each and the 15 watt per channel Quad II monoblock amplifiers would be also necessary because anything over that power would blow up the speakers – I was dismayed – it would take me a long time to save up $330 plus tax for the speakers – buying the amps would double that.

I gave Jonas everything I had on me at the time $40 as a deposit on the speakers and on the 45 minute drive home had time to think what to do to Stereo 70 to lower its output. My first audio based research project of my life had begun.

Six months later, I had my stereo 70 amplifier (with a different power transformer) running at pure class A 15WPC with my first set of Quads ESLs, my AR Turntable with the same Stanton Cartridge, the PAS-3 preamp, and I was in sonic bliss. So it went through the next couple of years, multiple girlfriends who were stunned by my audioholic nature, new musical discoveries (Cream, Big Brother and the Holding Co., pre-Grace Slick Jefferson Airplane, and especially the early Grateful Dead) who distracted me from my classical roots, but remained rock musical mistresses to my true bluegrass/classical calling.

Meanwhile, life went on, I graduated from high school, started college, dropped that class, and got drafted. I sold the audio system, and the amplifiers to another Quad ESL owner to replace his Quad II amps – as a sonic improvement even – Damn! Off I went on what I was told would be a grand adventure in the US Army, even though I knew I was being conned. I went on a world tour of Fort Ord, Ca, Fort Benning, GA, Pleiku, RVN and back home in June 1969. I had grown from a boy to a man in every aspect except audio.  The only good part of the whole deal was 3 banjo and fiddle contests close to Fort Benning.  Oh, and the GI Bill came in handy when I got back.  It was just that the job really, really sucked.  

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 20, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #34 of 14,564
Yep, I remember listening to the JBL Paragon through a Phase Linear amp, Transcriptor turntable ADC 25 & 26 cartridges, Shure V15 Mk 4, Stanton 681A, 681E &681EEE cartridges.Empire 999VEX & 1000ZEX cartridges etc ad hoc, ad nauseum, ad astra, ad addendum, ad infinitum.

Those were the days.

Started building amps including the power transformers.   I would much rather buy amps these days, except for the KGSS & KGSSHV and sundry Class A amps in the recent past.

I did buy a Yggy in the last week though.......    Thanks heaps.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #35 of 14,564
Mike, hope you'll write some on coming up with your Moffat Citation II. Not really a mod but a complete redesign as the only thing left from a stock HK Citation were the case and transformers. And power cord. :D

I really enjoyed my time with mine. Used it on Reference 3A speakers and various VOTT mutations. It was heaven with NOS WE 350Bs. Wish I would have kept it, but I got sidetracked into that whole SET thing in the mid '90s.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #36 of 14,564
For those of you who have no idea what Mike is taliking about, here are some references to the speakers he mentioned:

JBL Paragon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBL_Paragon
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/paragon.htm
http://www.mcsmk8.com/Paragon/paragon.htm

Quad ESL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Electrostatic_Loudspeaker
http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/quads.htm
http://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/quad-esl-loudspeakers/

Dynaco ST-70 amplifier:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/dynaco1e.html
http://hometheaterreview.com/dynaco-stereo-70-tube-amp-reviewed/
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/992dynaco/#dF4raKF8hYBwEsbQ.97

Dynaco PAS 3 Preamplifier:

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1088vana/#c9dSmOeSldQfIdvZ.97

AR XA Turntable:

http://vinylnirvana.com/ar-models/ar-xa/

I can only guess it was the AR XA model since the XB was introduced in 1972 and this was before the late 60's when he was drafted. It also looks he was a DIY'er from the start with this Dyanco gear - a true budget audiophile. There are several places where you can get kits to build a brand new ST-70.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #37 of 14,564
rtaylor76 - you forgot one more thing - Ken Kreisel on the left (the friend of my friend) and Jonas Miller (I think the dark floor-standing rectangle next to Ken's elbow is a Quad):

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #39 of 14,564
For you it was Quads.  For me it was Infinity, RS 4.5's.  Those and a Phase Linear 700 were what first put me in debt until my call to join Uncle Sam came.  :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #40 of 14,564
Conrad Johnson PV5 and MV50 and Proac Tablets, thought it was incredible. Then I made a mistake and heard a pair of Magies, MGIII and Krell Amps, I was toast!

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #41 of 14,564
No Old glory Days for me. Not Old enough for those. I have been into music since I was Junior High. I Saved Up Birthday money for my first portable Cassette Player. Then Got the Portable Cd Player with the anti skip of course.My senior Year In high school one of the school personnel had a Home studio and was getting rid of Roland Monitors because he had upgraded. I Bought these for $100. I  still have them some 15 years later even though its been some time since I have used them. I cant bring myself to part with them.

My Senior Year In college I wandered into a local audio shop. It was clear when I walked into that store I probably could not even buy a pair of cables but anything I wanted to Demo they were happy to setup.The Moment that had me sitting in that proverbial chair was A Pair of Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamond and if I remember correctly driven by Mcintosh Pre Amp and Monoblock amps. The source was a Rotel CD Transport. Everything was bigger and better with more detail and clarity than I had ever heard (which up to this point was nothing spectacular anyway) Knowing that the cost made everything out of reach for a broke ass college kid I made it a habit of keeping an eye out for second hand gear and figuring how to get the most of my limited dollars. The Funny thing is I worked at best buy through most of college as a tech but helped in the audio dept often and never heard anything that just made me stop and listen. Even with a discount the only Speaker I had bought for myself was a Pair a JBL Northridge Speakers that were marked about 50% of cost.  which admittedly is the reason why I bought them. Were they much better than the Roland's Not really just had better bass response. I Gave those to my Dad's Neighbor Years ago. 

Thanks Mike. It is always interesting to read another persons experience. I am looking forward to following along on the Journey that brought you to where you are today, 

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #42 of 14,564
   My audio odyssey really didn't start until I turned 16. Soon, I had a 20 hour/week job at Market Basket bagging groceries. The first challenge was to get some wheels (a Chevy as old as I for $250). Within a year, I had triple the car budget spent on an AR turntable, a Stanton 681 cartridge, a set of AR 4 speakers, a Dynakit Stereo 70 amplifier and PAS3 preamp, and my first 100 or so albums. Then, as now, I detested pop music and bought mostly classical, folk, and jazz releases.

In my junior year, I bought an album that changed my life: 12 String Guitar by the Folkswingers. It was an instrumental album featuring Glen Campbell playing a 12 string guitar backed by the bluegrass group The Dillards. That was my first exposure to bluegrass. I was floored by the virtuosity and by how good the album sounded. Within weeks I had spent more than I had in my car on a banjo and I was off to McCabe's to get lessons. I began playing informally at a lot of bluegrass meets and had a chance to hear a huge variety of acoustical instruments played live. This gave me new perspective on the primary function of a music system - to reproduce and replay recorded music.

In my senior year, a friend of mine told me about Jonas Miller Stereo as a great place to find exotic audio equipment. So I drove up in jeans and t-shirt in my really schiity Chevy to Beverly Hills. I had to park around the corner and attracted some very What are you stares from a few locals. I was relieved when I was treated very cordially by none other than Jonas himself.

I was in the process of a JBL paragon demo (like I could afford it at $2200) and was impressed only by its volume. In the rear of the same room there were two copper colored screens that were stunning in their ugliness. Since there were two of them, I assumed that they were speakers as opposed to space heaters. Jonas mentioned they were niche speakers particularly well suited for classical music. Interest piqued, Jonas played me a Jascha Horenstein Mahler First Symphony. I walked around and was unimpressed. Jonas then pulled up a dining room table style chair, placed it about 5 feet in front of the speakers, angled them toward me roughly 30 degrees off of flat, indicated for me to sit, and then solemnly intoned: “they are really large headphones”. He put on Mahler's first again, and left the room. The next thing I remember, the needle was in the inner groove making its clicka, clicka, clicka sound, when Jonas returned, smiling. I was stunned – it was a spiritual experience. Any other speaker discussion was irrelevant. There were no more words. I was beyond emotion in awe and wonder. I gave him my copy of the Folkswinger record – he put it on and left again. That was it. I was converted.

When he returned, I was informed the speakers were $165 each and the 15 watt per channel Quad II monoblock amplifiers would be also necessary because anything over that power would blow up the speakers – I was dismayed – it would take me a long time to save up $330 plus tax for the speakers – buying the amps would double that.

I gave Jonas everything I had on me at the time $40 as a deposit on the speakers and on the 45 minute drive home had time to think what to do to Stereo 70 to lower its output. My first audio based research project of my life had begun.

Six months later, I had my stereo 70 amplifier (with a different power transformer) running at pure class A 15WPC with my first set of Quads ESLs, my AR Turntable with the same Stanton Cartridge, the PAS-3 preamp, and I was in sonic bliss. So it went through the next couple of years, multiple girlfriends who were stunned by my audioholic nature, new musical discoveries (Cream, Big Brother and the Holding Co., pre-Grace Slick Jefferson Airplane, and especially the early Grateful Dead) who distracted me from my classical roots, but remained rock musical mistresses to my true bluegrass/classical calling.

Meanwhile, life went on, I graduated from high school, started college, dropped that class, and got drafted. I sold the audio system, and the amplifiers to another Quad ESL owner to replace his Quad II amps – as a sonic improvement even – Damn! Off I went on what I was told would be a grand adventure in the US Army, even though I knew I was being conned. I went on a world tour of Fort Ord, Ca, Fort Benning, GA, Pleiku, RVN and back home in June 1969. I had grown from a boy to a man in every aspect except audio.  The only good part of the whole deal was 3 banjo and fiddle contests close to Fort Benning.  Oh, and the GI Bill came in handy when I got back.  It was just that the job really, really sucked.  

Subbed. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #45 of 14,564
Mike - Do you know what the Mobile Fidelity "Gain 2 System" (aka "Gain II System") consisted of ?   Did they use your ADC ?   Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back