What a DIFFERENCE!
Jun 10, 2005 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Wayde

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty happy with my cmoy amp now.

I had been using the phones out jack on my iPod to a cmoy mint can input (mic jack as well). The sound was basically poop. I didn't notice any amplification, just slight distortion if I really listened.

My Sik Din had been on order. I asked in the forum if using the line out on the iPod would be better, give me more of a boost than the mic out and about what % volume would the iPod have to be at to replicate its line out. Some said around 90%.

My conclusion is that it's more like 110%. I barely need to turn up the amp at all, it's not even a quarter turn and I'm getting a head full of clean sound. This thing really drives my phones.

My wonder has turned to curiosity.

I understand the iPod is creating a "line out" audio signal; does this pass through an internal amp in the iPod to the headphone jack? Or is the "internal amp" more of a regulator to turn DOWN the volume on the line out signal from whatever converts the mp3 into an analogue signal? It seems the signal coming out the bottom of my iPod is far more potent than the headphone jack.

What about this cmoy amp? Is it really an amp? I read where it's not really an amp, the chip (op2227) is a sort of cheat amp or op-amp (which I looked up and stands for operational amplifier). What's the difference?

Any recommended beginner reading I can start with to understand? I'll be browsing this forum too for discussions. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back