What 2 buy ?? Cowon J3 or iPOD 7G w/ PB1 !??
Jul 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

richbass

500+ Head-Fier
My question is exactly what the title says :p Mamba for my ipod 6G or buy a new DAP i.e. S:Flo2 ?
I will be using SRH840,DT150 and Upcoming D7000 and LCD2s.
Thanks

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 33
Do you understand what you are asking?

The iBasso D4 is a portable Amp/DAC combo.
The S:Flo 2 is a DAP.

They both have great sound quality (and might be able to power your SRH840 and DT150), but there is not way that either of these will fully power/drive your D7000 or LCD2.

Do you plan to use this set-up on the go or at home?

I think that a little more information on what you want/expect will go a long way toward advising you of what to get.

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 33
So you're asking whether to buy a standalone DAP or...an amp/dac to use out of the computer? Hmm.... if you're always going to be by a computer I'd go with maybe the DAC/amp although I don't know how well the SQ is.... I'm sure it's really good though.

I have the s:flo2 and it has a LO to use with amps and stuff though as well...

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 33
Your question is still unclear. From your last post, it sounds as though you are deciding between the iPod 6G or the s:flo2. Do you already have a Mamba? Or are you debating between an iPod/Mamba setup versus a s:flo2 without an amp? Spell it out for us here or you're going to get several different answers, possibly to the wrong question.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 33
I own both. The S:Flo2 is one of the best sounding DAPs there are, and definitely the best price performance of all DAPs over $100. It was a definite improvement over my Cowon S9 and I imagine it would be the same for your iPod. However, the UI is absolutely atrocious, and aside from SQ & the fact that the back smells mellifluous - there is NOTHING good about it. Everything else reeks of low grade construction, terribly thought out design, unrefined UI and software, an atrocious screen, abysmal battery life - everything. else. is. bad.

I use the Mamba at home as both a DAC + amp (but never as a portable). It sounds great - even better than the S:Flo2, as expected, of course. The difference however, is more subtle - though more refined, with better decay, and better bass impact. Treble extension is also improved. Note that if you want to use this as a portable, you'll need a LOD, which adds a lot to the price as well as buy your own 9V battery for the Mamba. I've never tried the Mamba as a portable amp, but I imagine it would be similar to the S:Flo2, maybe marginally better. However, it is more expensive, a lot heavier, and far more cumbersome.

It really comes down to what you do more - want a nice sounding portable setup that is less hassle or you want the best of performance, but at the cost of a lot of effort. Note that buying the S:Flo2 may allow you to sell your iPod, which allows you to buy the Mamba with the money recuperated :)

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
I own both. The S:Flo2 is one of the best sounding DAPs there are, and definitely the best price performance of all DAPs over $100. It was a definite improvement over my Cowon S9 and I imagine it would be the same for your iPod. However, the UI is absolutely atrocious, and aside from SQ & the fact that the back smells mellifluous - there is NOTHING good about it. Everything else reeks of low grade construction, terribly thought out design, unrefined UI and software, an atrocious screen, abysmal battery life - everything. else. is. bad.

I use the Mamba at home as both a DAC + amp (but never as a portable). It sounds great - even better than the S:Flo2, as expected, of course. The difference however, is more subtle - though more refined, with better decay, and better bass impact. Treble extension is also improved. Note that if you want to use this as a portable, you'll need a LOD, which adds a lot to the price as well as buy your own 9V battery for the Mamba. I've never tried the Mamba as a portable amp, but I imagine it would be similar to the S:Flo2, maybe marginally better. However, it is more expensive, a lot heavier, and far more cumbersome.

It really comes down to what you do more - want a nice sounding portable setup that is less hassle or you want the best of performance, but at the cost of a lot of effort. Note that buying the S:Flo2 may allow you to sell your iPod, which allows you to buy the Mamba with the money recuperated :)

Whats this about the back smelling?

Are you talking about the Sflo2 HO in your comments or LO?  I don't think your remarks are indicative of the LO.

The D4 and Sflo2 use the same DAC as well.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
Whats this about the back smelling?

Are you talking about the Sflo2 HO in your comments or LO?  I don't think your remarks are indicative of the LO.

The D4 and Sflo2 use the same DAC as well.

Headphone out - I haven't used LO much.

I realize the D4 and Sflo have the same Wolfson DAC, but the D4 does sound better to my ears.

As for back smelling.. don't even question my fetish..

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 33
My bro has a D4, so I've heard both and the D4 will sound better than the HO of the S:Flo2, despite both having the same DAC. Get the D4 for now. You can always get an S:Flo2 later down the road when you have some spare cash.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 33
I have to agree with the assessment that the S:Flo2 is a fantastic sounding player that will make you want to rip your hair out in clusters.  The UI is beyond awful, the touchscreen has a mind of its own, it feels flimsy and has file transfer issues constantly.  I ended up just biting the bullet and selling off a bunch of my gear to buy an HM-801.  Probably the best decision I have ever made :D

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
I have to agree with the assessment that the S:Flo2 is a fantastic sounding player that will make you want to rip your hair out in clusters.  The UI is beyond awful, the touchscreen has a mind of its own, it feels flimsy and has file transfer issues constantly.  I ended up just biting the bullet and selling off a bunch of my gear to buy an HM-801.  Probably the best decision I have ever made :D

Yea that's what a lot of people say lol... I guess I'm lucky; it doesn't really bother me at all anymore... I guess I just grew accustomed to it.... the sound quality it gives me out of the LO makes up for it I guess :)

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 33
x2

And what part of the Sflo2 feels flimsy exactly?  Seriously??  Feels more solid than any Sansa or Apple iPod/Touch to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back