Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 pair OR Wharfedale EVO2-8 pair OR anything else @$300/pair
Jul 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

starbux48

100+ Head-Fier
Read the July Stereophile review of the Diamond 10.1 speakers and aparently they are stunning for their price of $349/pair.  Have also found some Wharfedale EVO2-8's @ around same price also.

Any suggestions @ a $300 to $350/pair price to consider other than the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's?

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 13
in theory, the evos should be better still but the evo lineup was never that favourably looked upon at full price

i've only had experience wtih the diamonds and they're great for the price

gut says to go for higher end speakers always. lower end of the lineup rarely surpasses it, even with an update

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 13
My gut feeling that I think I'll go with is to stay with the Diamond 10.1's. The Stereophile review and eval was very detailed and thorough, and though all speakers evaluations are through the 'ears of the beholders' so to speak, for the price it looks like it'll be hard to beat them.  It also appears the EVO2's are on closeout and not a new design.  Good is still good, but they do learn things over time and the Diamonds seem to be only getting better and better.  I can hardly find any reviews of any rep at all on the EVOs, but more on the Diamonds.

For the buck, the bang with the Diamonds seems hard to beat.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 13
wont be a bad choice either way but they' never make the new budgets better than the higher line, maybe 2 generations later, but definetly not the next genration. same with amplifiers.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 13
I bought the 10.1s and have them hooked to a Pass Labs Aleph 3. They are on my desk in a more near-field setup, and they sound great. It may be the proximity to the speakers, but I've been quite impressed with the imaging and the fullness of the sound. I'd recommend them.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 13

@Wotts

how far away are you sitting from your wharfedale 10.1's? I consider bying them as well but then I will be sitting 30 inches away from them because I want to put them on my desk in front of me.
Hope to hear from you soon even if this is an old thread.

thanks in advance,
Steve

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 13

@Wotts

how far away are you sitting from your wharfedale 10.1's? I consider bying them as well but then I will be sitting 30 inches away from them because I want to put them on my desk in front of me.
Hope to hear from you soon even if this is an old thread.

thanks in advance,
Steve

May 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 13
Another alternative could be MicroLab SOLO6C...thats them in the background of my Pic thingy, there actives so sorry if your after passives! I have mine on my desk  close to me and they sound great!

Yeh you have never heard of microlab but more people should have... got these a few months back and I can whole heartedly reccomend them...they are crazy for the price of £70 over here in the UK, you can connect a 3.5mm or RCA aux in too, they have built in EQ and a remote...bloddy brilliant and solidly made too, with thick wooden panels, if Microlab had the mark up of more mainstream companies like M-Audio, or Swan etc they would quite literally be 2-3 times the price, and still then I would still be over the moon with the SQ for that price!

Soundstage is a little narrow but that is the only thing i can say are bad about these speakers! clarity, mids and highs are all very good...bass even shocked me quite a bit for such small speakers, (bigger than your average set of 2.0´s with their 6.5" woofers!) but I had already bought a used wharfedale SW150 10" subwoofer, and I have to admit this setup really has to be up there for one of the best bang for buck things i have ever gotten, compared with my parents B&W 684 floorstanders with an arcam solo neo, this 2.1 setup > Titanium HD really does compete well considering its a fraction of the price!

If your not a basshead then you will find the Microlab just fine with no sub...heck I sometimes dont even turn it on and dont feel I am missing anything, only thing is when you put on some dubstep or similar with bass that extends past 30Hz then that is where a sub does add more of a benefit as you can sense the Micrlobs start straining, but still put on a good show!

Also for the price I doubt you will find any active set that can go louder...when my parents go out and i have a few friends over they literally shake the house LO...as in i go downstairs and glasses are shaking, and this is WITHOUT the sub! 

This review sums it up quite nicely...http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4112/microlab_solo6c_powered_stereo_speakers_review/index5.html

Sooooo glad i went for these over the swans as i really cant see the extra cash giving me a big bump in SQ...you would be better upgrading your soundcard!

Pics dont do the speakers justice, I love the retro look of em´ (wood panels look great!)

EDIT: I think i made these seem like a bass heavy set of speakers...and I would just like to clear this up, they are more on the bright side than dark tbh...but after a bump in the built in bass EQ and the treble EQ the balence is lovely, they are neutral with no EQ but i like it with an authoritive bass thump, and these are capable of producing that with the help of EQ, whilst retaining great levels of clarity and full mids with sparkly treble! 

May 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Another alternative could be MicroLab SOLO6C...thats them in the background of my Pic thingy, there actives so sorry if your after passives! I have mine on my desk  close to me and they sound great!

Yeh you have never heard of microlab but more people should have... got these a few months back and I can whole heartedly reccomend them...they are crazy for the price of £70 over here in the UK, you can connect a 3.5mm or RCA aux in too, they have built in EQ and a remote...bloddy brilliant and solidly made too, with thick wooden panels, if Microlab had the mark up of more mainstream companies like M-Audio, or Swan etc they would quite literally be 2-3 times the price, and still then I would still be over the moon with the SQ for that price!

Soundstage is a little narrow but that is the only thing i can say are bad about these speakers! clarity, mids and highs are all very good...bass even shocked me quite a bit for such small speakers, (bigger than your average set of 2.0´s with their 6.5" woofers!) but I had already bought a used wharfedale SW150 10" subwoofer, and I have to admit this setup really has to be up there for one of the best bang for buck things i have ever gotten, compared with my parents B&W 684 floorstanders with an arcam solo neo, this 2.1 setup > Titanium HD really does compete well considering its a fraction of the price!

If your not a basshead then you will find the Microlab just fine with no sub...heck I sometimes dont even turn it on and dont feel I am missing anything, only thing is when you put on some dubstep or similar with bass that extends past 30Hz then that is where a sub does add more of a benefit as you can sense the Micrlobs start straining, but still put on a good show!

Also for the price I doubt you will find any active set that can go louder...when my parents go out and i have a few friends over they literally shake the house LO...as in i go downstairs and glasses are shaking, and this is WITHOUT the sub! 

This review sums it up quite nicely...http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4112/microlab_solo6c_powered_stereo_speakers_review/index5.html

Sooooo glad i went for these over the swans as i really cant see the extra cash giving me a big bump in SQ...you would be better upgrading your soundcard!

Pics dont do the speakers justice, I love the retro look of em´ (wood panels look great!)

EDIT: I think i made these seem like a bass heavy set of speakers...and I would just like to clear this up, they are more on the bright side than dark tbh...but after a bump in the built in bass EQ and the treble EQ the balence is lovely, they are neutral with no EQ but i like it with an authoritive bass thump, and these are capable of producing that with the help of EQ, whilst retaining great levels of clarity and full mids with sparkly treble! 

I never trust reviews from computer websites or general tech website/magazines. The man should get the Wharfedales, not those cheaply made powered computer speakers.

May 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Read the July Stereophile review of the Diamond 10.1 speakers and aparently they are stunning for their price of $349/pair.  Have also found some Wharfedale EVO2-8's @ around same price also.

Any suggestions @ a $300 to $350/pair price to consider other than the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's?

The 10.1 are more transparent and refined than their price may suggest; need to budget for good amp and source for best result. Something in the same class would be the Usher S-520.

May 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I never trust reviews from computer websites or general tech website/magazines. The man should get the Wharfedales, not those cheaply made powered computer speakers.

One thing they are not is cheaply made...you should feel the weight of the one with the amp...the quality of the wooden panels is great too, I added the review in for another opinon so the OP didnt just have one guy saying these were decent! 

I can guarantee you that getting these + a subwoofer would give a more fun and entertaining sound than any 2.0 set! Even floorstanders like B&W 684 sound "boring" and flat in comparrison and yes this may be to more peoples tastes, but just throwing down another option if someone prefers a fun sound to an analytical one like myself! 

Clarity is excellent on these, although they dont quite have the refinement of more expensive sets...nearly though! Mids are nice and full, also very smooth too

I dont think you should be jumping to conclusions because of their price and commenting on them like you own them! 
wink_face.gif

May 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

One thing they are not is cheaply made...you should feel the weight of the one with the amp...the quality of the wooden panels is great too, I added the review in for another opinon so the OP didnt just have one guy saying these were decent! 

I can guarantee you that getting these + a subwoofer would give a more fun and entertaining sound than any 2.0 set! Even floorstanders like B&W 684 sound "boring" and flat in comparrison and yes this may be to more peoples tastes, but just throwing down another option if someone prefers a fun sound to an analytical one like myself! 

Clarity is excellent on these, although they dont quite have the refinement of more expensive sets...nearly though! Mids are nice and full, also very smooth too

I dont think you should be jumping to conclusions because of their price and commenting on them like you own them! 
wink_face.gif

You lose all credibility when you say that you guarantee that they sound better than "any 2.0 set".  Sorry, but that is a flat out ridiculous claim.  And then to go on and compare them to BandW 684 floor standers just borders on insane.  These are 100 dollar speakers you're talking about.  You get what you pay for...please stop recommending cheap speakers.  Oh, and I would never own cheap computer monitors with built in crappy amps...so, no I don't have first hand experience with this brand or model.  

May 8, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
You lose all credibility when you say that you guarantee that they sound better than "any 2.0 set".  Sorry, but that is a flat out ridiculous claim.  And then to go on and compare them to BandW 684 floor standers just borders on insane.  These are 100 dollar speakers you're talking about.  You get what you pay for...please stop recommending cheap speakers.  Oh, and I would never own cheap computer monitors with built in crappy amps...so, no I don't have first hand experience with this brand or model.  

No, i dont think i made myself clear I said a more fun sound...not that it would sound "better" as thats hihgly subjective, but Im a basshead so I will natrually drift towards any a setup that includes a decent subwoofer with good quality speakers (not not the logitech 2.1 etc as yeh they are crap)...the extra clarity and seperation that a more expensive 2.0 setup would have over the 2.1 would just not win me over, vs the more full sound with authoritive bass! 

This is a great budget set of speakers...and just because there cheap it doesnt mean they sound bad, and that I should not reccomend them...you are rather foolish for believing the more you spend=better sound! 

Yes the Microlabs are not as good as the 684´s and i did not say that they were...but to think the cost 10x less is remarkable for the SQ! Also the fact that you need a HQ amp for the B&W bumps up the cost to nearish the £2000 mark and in no way is that a reflection in the SQ difference, yes they are a good tier or 2 above the MIcrolabs but with a subwoofer the sound is great and more entertaining for a basshead, and with a HQ soundcard like the Titanium HD its an absolute steal for the SQ your getting!
My Dad did not know i bought these speakers and HONESTLY did not believe me when I said how much they were, he had me get up the email receipt to prove to him these were £70 not £200! 

Anyway I see your closed minded so that is all i will say on the matter...

Good luck to OP...and if you can get a demo of the Microlabs, I can ensure you that you will be impressed! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back