Whant the most from my new phones, what file format is the best quality?
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AnthonyMcEwen

Head-Fier
I heard a lossles format is best....is flac the best....my MP3 is a Samsung U6 so its should be OK for quality as it was not an cheap one....not expensive ether though....

It can read FLAC fine I Says in the manual.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 7
Here - easy to set-up (an abx test), then you can rely on what you hear rather than what everyone else says they can.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding

Follow the instructions - compare lossless to lossy - then you can get best mix that suits you. Personally I use FLAC for archiving and on my home rig. For my portable I use ~200aac (vbr). For my portable rig - it's transparent to me.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 7
Okay thx it will go into ,many different sources anyways but want pone good scorce of music on me at all times, hence wanting my MP3 in flac....I'll do that test when I get them....they shoud be here by Monday.

Unfortantly my mp3 don't sure port ACC.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 7
So rip to FLAC - then convert to mp3 320. Do the abx as per the link. If it's transparent, transcode copy of the flac again to mp3 at V0, V1 etc. Eventually you'll get to a setting which is no longer transparent (ie you can hear the difference from the flac). Bump it up a notch - then use that for your portable.

Eg - after the tests, if you find you hear artifacts at V4 - then transcode at either V3 or V2 (if you want added safety).

By taking the time to test yourself, you'll never be worried that SQ should be better, and you'll get more music on your player.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 7
So rip to FLAC - then convert to mp3 320. Do the abx as per the link. If it's transparent, transcode copy of the flac again to mp3 at V0, V1 etc. Eventually you'll get to a setting which is no longer transparent (ie you can hear the difference from the flac). Bump it up a notch - then use that for your portable.

Eg - after the tests, if you find you hear artifacts at V4 - then transcode at either V3 or V2 (if you want added safety).

By taking the time to test yourself, you'll never be worried that SQ should be better, and you'll get more music on your player.

I'll re read that later in the day when I have woken up fully lol...I think I get tjw most but my brain is melting I ain't had my breakfast yet hahaha thx though.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Short answer to your original question - lossless will be 'best quality'

Whether you can personally tell the difference between lossless and well encoded high bitrate lossy is the new question. Up to you if you want to take the time to find out. Hope the link helps should you decide to test yourself - it is enlightening (and liberating).

PS - word to the wise - be careful of any so called 'night and day' claims between lossless and high bitrate lossy.

Enjoy the music!

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 7
Oh okay well I don't have a ton of music at the moment so space is not a huge issue so will just use flac for now...even though its gonna be larger files....

I was not expecting a huge difference its just my headphones are describes as used for critical listening so don't want to hear all thew flaws in like say a low bit rate MP3...

Thx all.

Can't wait to get them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back