Westone W80
Jan 27, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,366 of 1,446
Hi everyone! Does anyone know someone in Europe who can repair the W80, the right earpice stopped working, at the begginning started failing a little bit but touching the cable would make it work, but then one day stopped.

I think it's the cable so it should be something "easy" to fix but I don't think I have the skills to do it. I've tried several local repair centers but they all said they don't work with earphones.

It's sad but it seems no one bothers to fix things anymore, it's just throwing and buying a new one.

PS: I've obviously contacted Westone and Variphone, and they said they don't do fixes, which is very dissapointed for this level of product. I honestly think I won't be buying Westone again.
If you think it's the cable just buy a replacement either a Westone original or most mmcx cables will work.

I doubt you will find anyone willing to repair it though, it's glued together I assume and to open it up you would basically have to destroy it.

Yes you are right in nothing seems to be repairable these days, probably due to the high costs of the skilled labour involved.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,367 of 1,446
Hi everyone! Does anyone know someone in Europe who can repair the W80, the right earpice stopped working, at the begginning started failing a little bit but touching the cable would make it work, but then one day stopped.

I think it's the cable so it should be something "easy" to fix but I don't think I have the skills to do it. I've tried several local repair centers but they all said they don't work with earphones.

It's sad but it seems no one bothers to fix things anymore, it's just throwing and buying a new one.

PS: I've obviously contacted Westone and Variphone, and they said they don't do fixes, which is very dissapointed for this level of product. I honestly think I won't be buying Westone again.

A very simple test, unplug the cable and switch between left and right sides. If problem stays with the right side - it is probably due to wiring inside the earpiece. If problem moves to the left side, that is your bad cable connection. Mmcx is prone to connection issues, and you can get another replacement mmcx cable easily. Btw, you got W80, doesn't it come with ALO premium cable and another Westone cable with inline remote? Did you try another cable? That can also tell you if it cable or earpiece related problem.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #1,368 of 1,446
I own a Mojo 2 and it sucks with the W80, hiss is extremely audible.
Shouldn't be the case. Is your hiss mostly coming from one side? Is it audible also when mojo isn't connected to anything?
If so, you have a defective unit. I had one too and got it replaced, there is no hiss with a new one.

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #1,369 of 1,446
If you think it's the cable just buy a replacement either a Westone original or most mmcx cables will work.

I doubt you will find anyone willing to repair it though, it's glued together I assume and to open it up you would basically have to destroy it.

Yes you are right in nothing seems to be repairable these days, probably due to the high costs of the skilled labour involved.

A very simple test, unplug the cable and switch between left and right sides. If problem stays with the right side - it is probably due to wiring inside the earpiece. If problem moves to the left side, that is your bad cable connection. Mmcx is prone to connection issues, and you can get another replacement mmcx cable easily. Btw, you got W80, doesn't it come with ALO premium cable and another Westone cable with inline remote? Did you try another cable? That can also tell you if it cable or earpiece related problem.

Sorry, I forgot to mention on my original post that it's not the cable, it's something inside the earpice because swapping left to right doesn't fix anything. I guess I will try to open then and fix them.

Even if I destroy them I can send them to someone to put them inside a mould like a custom monitors.

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #1,370 of 1,446
Sorry, I forgot to mention on my original post that it's not the cable, it's something inside the earpice because swapping left to right doesn't fix anything. I guess I will try to open then and fix them.

Even if I destroy them I can send them to someone to put them inside a mould like a custom monitors.
You don't have much too lose I suppose, I suspect there aren't even many companies that would take the BA's and fit them into a custom shell for you though.
There are threads on Head-fi that detail how you can make your own custom IEM but unless you have a lot of spare time and some money for the equipment needed it may be better to just cut your losses and buy something else.

Perhaps go for something cheaper this time, then when it breaks you can chuck it away and get another without too much upset. Many options can get you almost to the Westone flagship level for a lot less cash these days.

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #1,371 of 1,446
You don't have much too lose I suppose, I suspect there aren't even many companies that would take the BA's and fit them into a custom shell for you though.
There are threads on Head-fi that detail how you can make your own custom IEM but unless you have a lot of spare time and some money for the equipment needed it may be better to just cut your losses and buy something else.

Perhaps go for something cheaper this time, then when it breaks you can chuck it away and get another without too much upset. Many options can get you almost to the Westone flagship level for a lot less cash these days.

Many years ago there used to be a company, Inearz, that reshelled everything and I actually did a review 7+ yrs ago comparing the original UM Pro 50 to their reshelled ciem version. It is a lot easier to do that with all BA design where you don't have to worry as much about acoustic chamber as you do with DD. And the sound was pretty damn close.

So, it could be done and they will fix any broken wire going to mmcx connector. The challenge is to find who does it now.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,372 of 1,446
What would you buy instead? I'm actually looking at mid tier options , so spending 400 euro tops this time. I don't use the IEM as much now as I work from home and I have other big earphones that sound better for a fraction of the money, but obviously I can't take them out as confortably as the westone.

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,373 of 1,446
What would you buy instead? I'm actually looking at mid tier options , so spending 400 euro tops this time. I don't use the IEM as much now as I work from home and I have other big earphones that sound better for a fraction of the money, but obviously I can't take them out as confortably as the westone.
It was a suggestion, I can't actually help with what to buy, I'm still on the upwards price journey of the hobby. :)

If you like the fit and comfort of the Westone brand then perhaps the MACH 20 or 30 or if you want to get away from Westone then perhaps Shure has something in the range, at a suitable price, they have fairly small shells and the narrow bore sound tube too.

Sep 1, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,374 of 1,446
Thanks for the reply.

I originally tried the Grey/Black Silicone tips and didn't find they had enough bass. I then switched to the Red Silicone that are fairly long. With the red tips I was getting too much mid bass. Perhaps because they went so deep in my ear.

Today I went back to the grey/black silicone tips and they seemed to seal fine. While mid bass was too much it wasn't as bad as the red tips.

As for the cable, while unwound and flattened there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I replaced the cable with the one from my Xelento and the sound was the same.

I guess the biggest problem for me is how thick sounding the mids are with female vocals and to a lesser degree male vocals. To me it is almost like the crossover from bass to mid is too high or not sloped steeply enough for my music taste. The vocals just don't sound natural. Acoustic guitar sounds very thick as well. Almost like you don't hear the start and end of the guitar note, just the middle. (Sorry but I just don't know how to describe it.)

I think it is likely that the sound is what is expected but it simply isn't to my taste. I went from IE800 and 3003i to IE800s and N5005 to Xelento and the N5005. I kept the Xelento and sold the N5005 hoping that the W80 would be the final multi driver form me but I don't think that will be the case. Too bad because at half price they were a great deal.

BTW, love your reviews.

Ken
It's stuff like this that makes me think that people are either getting a poor fit, inserting too deeply (or not deeply enough) have a problem with their source or some other issue.
If there's one thing the W80 IEMs are good at, it's thumping attack. I've listened to a dozen different IEMs, and never have I heard one that has the same "striking" physicality as the W80.
Here's an example: In the beginning of the song "Lions Are the World" by Skylark (click link for Youtube audio) there are hi-hats striking gently, and on many of them, you can pinpoint them not because you hear them, but because you feel them. I get a slight "haptic feedback," a little tap of sound pressure as the hi-hat is struck. Each time the piano hits a chord I can feel it.

Going more generic, if you listen to this acoustic guitar track the consistent thing I notice with these IEMs (and this is not on an ideal listening device; on my DAP it's even better) every time the string released, you can not just hear but FEEL the pluck. It's a little, low-impact burst.

If someone doesn't like the warmer sound signature of the W80, I entirely understand, and in fact I'd prefer a less warm sound as well because I believe that real life is aurally brighter; however, if you think that the IEMs have no attack, unrealistically rapid decay and a kind of floaty "middle-of-the-notes" sound, then I think either your unit is actually defective, or you're somehow getting a really bad fit.
It's one thing to have different taste, but it's an entirely different thing for one person to be hearing and feeling the notes while another person's suggesting that there is no feeling whatsoever. We're not talking about scientific study, but we're also not talking about theory or imagination, either. If I weren't feeling the notes I wouldn't be bloody feeling them! It's there, so what's going on here?

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,375 of 1,446
Sorry for the double post here, but A) I'm going to do it anyway and B) I just have to rave.
I'm still using my W80s multiple years later, and barring some paint flaking on the J-clips (which I'm going to replace for metal ones at some point) they are still in prime condition and still sound as good as ever.

They sound so good, in fact, that I have a ridiculous number of hours on them, and to this day I still regularly wear them, logging many hours per week just listening to phat beats.

I have discovered that I like the red (huge) eartips the most, but I've also discovered that the bloated (but not muddy) mid-bass that was fatiguing my ears and brain is actually a result of this exceptional fit and disturbingly deep insertion into my cavernous ear canals. Turns out, if I a push the eartips in, but stop immediately upon getting a seal, and push no further, then I will get not only clear, robust bass from bottom end to top, but the mids and highs will also open up.

Try this: Take your hands and cup them BEHIND your ears, so that your palms are gently pushing your ear flanges forward. Notice that immediately you start hearing a kind of whooshing, hissing treble. This is essentially what happens when the eartips are sealed fully but at a shallow depth. You get all the sound, but now the treble and mids are lifted, though not as dramatically as my ear-cupping analogy.

Some people have said that the subbass is not sufficient, but these bad boys go down to 5hz (!!!!!!!!!!) and having listened to plenty of bassy music, I believe it. They are MONSTERS when it comes to bass, utterly refined, cleared and powerful. I think the problem, assuming that these people are getting a proper seal, is that they want exaggerated bass.
The W80s are not club-IEMs, they are gentlemen at the driving range. Casual, enjoying friendly banter, and then, with a careful wind-up, launch the ball with controlled strength. Nothing wasted.
So when bass hits lightly, these hit lightly. When bass hits hard, these bring the thunder. So if you want to hear subbass over the other instruments when that's not what the track calls for, then the W80s will politely decline: They're here for accuracy, not embellishments, and I believe the story is just as good when all the details presented are of sound veracity.

I love these IEMs, and if mine go bottom-uppers then I will buy another pair, which I can now get for a paltry $400. Unless I get very curious about the Mach80s, but frankly, I don't like their new design. Their old design is plain, but the new design is generic, which I believe is worse.

So that's what I have to say. Get a good fit, find the right depth, determine the best tips, and if you want more bass, stop listening to power metal and classical and start listening to music that contains "drops," ideally anything that says "Bass boost +10db bass test boosted WILL DESTROY SPEAKERS."
You should get your fix.

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,376 of 1,446
I love these IEMs, and if mine go bottom-uppers then I will buy another pair, which I can now get for a paltry $400. Unless I get very curious about the Mach80s, but frankly, I don't like their new design. Their old design is plain, but the new design is generic, which I believe is worse.
W80 vs. MACH80 sound quite different, so I would recommend trying the MACH80 before buying (if possible).

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,377 of 1,446
Sorry for the double post here, but A) I'm going to do it anyway and B) I just have to rave.
I'm still using my W80s multiple years later, and barring some paint flaking on the J-clips (which I'm going to replace for metal ones at some point) they are still in prime condition and still sound as good as ever.

They sound so good, in fact, that I have a ridiculous number of hours on them, and to this day I still regularly wear them, logging many hours per week just listening to phat beats.

I have discovered that I like the red (huge) eartips the most, but I've also discovered that the bloated (but not muddy) mid-bass that was fatiguing my ears and brain is actually a result of this exceptional fit and disturbingly deep insertion into my cavernous ear canals. Turns out, if I a push the eartips in, but stop immediately upon getting a seal, and push no further, then I will get not only clear, robust bass from bottom end to top, but the mids and highs will also open up.

Try this: Take your hands and cup them BEHIND your ears, so that your palms are gently pushing your ear flanges forward. Notice that immediately you start hearing a kind of whooshing, hissing treble. This is essentially what happens when the eartips are sealed fully but at a shallow depth. You get all the sound, but now the treble and mids are lifted, though not as dramatically as my ear-cupping analogy.

Some people have said that the subbass is not sufficient, but these bad boys go down to 5hz (!!!!!!!!!!) and having listened to plenty of bassy music, I believe it. They are MONSTERS when it comes to bass, utterly refined, cleared and powerful. I think the problem, assuming that these people are getting a proper seal, is that they want exaggerated bass.
The W80s are not club-IEMs, they are gentlemen at the driving range. Casual, enjoying friendly banter, and then, with a careful wind-up, launch the ball with controlled strength. Nothing wasted.
So when bass hits lightly, these hit lightly. When bass hits hard, these bring the thunder. So if you want to hear subbass over the other instruments when that's not what the track calls for, then the W80s will politely decline: They're here for accuracy, not embellishments, and I believe the story is just as good when all the details presented are of sound veracity.

So that's what I have to say. Get a good fit, find the right depth, determine the best tips, and if you want more bass, stop listening to power metal and classical and start listening to music that contains "drops," ideally anything that says "Bass boost +10db bass test boosted WILL DESTROY SPEAKERS."
You should get your fix.
For me the W80 are the best fit ever - don’t protrude - great seal (silicone tri-flange) - most balanced sound (classical, opera, jazz, some popular). I would buy again.

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,378 of 1,446
For me the W80 are the best fit ever - don’t protrude - great seal (silicone tri-flange) - most balanced sound (classical, opera, jazz, some popular). I would buy again.
You're still rockin' the W80 in 2023 as well?
How do you feel about their very thick low-end? I'm really noticing after turning off my EQ, rolling tips and adjusting depth, that they have a ridiculously thick sub- and mid-bass, between 30hz and 200hz. It's ridiculous. It doesn't sound distorted or muddy, but it's certainly a powerful coloration.
You say that it has a balanced sound, so would you disagree that it has a strong mid-bass hump?

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #1,379 of 1,446
W80 vs. MACH80 sound quite different, so I would recommend trying the MACH80 before buying (if possible).
If you've heard them both, what would you say the Mach80's tuning is like by comparison? From what I understand, they were TRYING to make a neutral-sounding IEM to match their custom model, but @twister6 says that it's different from both the custom IEM and the W80.

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #1,380 of 1,446
If you've heard them both, what would you say the Mach80's tuning is like by comparison? From what I understand, they were TRYING to make a neutral-sounding IEM to match their custom model, but @twister6 says that it's different from both the custom IEM and the W80.

MACH80 tuning is rather flat, as I noted in my MACH10-80 review. Considering how much you're enjoying W80, I think MACH70 will be more up your valley if you decide to test it. ES80 will be more neutral in comparison to W80, but not as flat as MACH80. I really think Westone was targeting music producers who do mixing using iem monitors when they were tuning MACH80, to give them a perfectly flat reference monitor. But like I said, you might want to try MACH70 to complement your W80 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back