Westone W80
Mar 22, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #557 of 1,446
  Is the sound of W80 somewhat "serious"? Like W60

Are you serious?
tongue.gif

But seriously, what do you mean by sound being serious?
biggrin.gif
  To my ears, W80 is an upgrade from W60.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #558 of 1,446
I currently have the W30s and I really enjoy them. They constantly surprise me with what they can do.
I love the coherent, organic sound of the W30s and they really convey the sense of the music as a whole, rather than separated bass, mid and treble components.

However, I'm choosing full-sized headphones at the moment and the range of cans I'm considering are falling between £900 and £1500 and it's occurred to me that maybe instead of having my W30s and say Audeze LCD-2 as an example, I might be better off simply upgrading my W30s.
Now, I've read a few descriptions of the difference you might find moving from a W60 to a W80 and this might sound silly, but in a smallish nutshell what would be the improvements (changes actually as some may not see them as improvements) I could expect if I were to go from W30s straight to W80s?
I'm hoping you'll say 'better detail retrieval', 'deeper, more controlled bass', 'a slightly wider, more out-of-your-head soundstage' and 'airy, expansive treble without being grainy or harsh'

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from Twister6 as he was so helpful in helping me choose the W30s in the first place.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #559 of 1,446
I currently have the W30s and I really enjoy them. They constantly surprise me with what they can do.
I love the coherent, organic sound of the W30s and they really convey the sense of the music as a whole, rather than separated bass, mid and treble components.

However, I'm choosing full-sized headphones at the moment and the range of cans I'm considering are falling between £900 and £1500 and it's occurred to me that maybe instead of having my W30s and say Audeze LCD-2 as an example, I might be better off simply upgrading my W30s.
Now, I've read a few descriptions of the difference you might find moving from a W60 to a W80 and this might sound silly, but in a smallish nutshell what would be the improvements (changes actually as some may not see them as improvements) I could expect if I were to go from W30s straight to W80s?
I'm hoping you'll say 'better detail retrieval', 'deeper, more controlled bass', 'a slightly wider, more out-of-your-head soundstage' and 'airy, expansive treble without being grainy or harsh'

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from Twister6 as he was so helpful in helping me choose the W30s in the first place.

I dont have the w30 so cant comment but everything you listed is an improvement over w40 and even w60. The sound is just wonderful, more bass in term of quantity and quality and soundstage is just huge and expansive.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #562 of 1,446
I can tell you if you ask this then dont get the W80, I am bass shy, the W80 is just the right ammount if not a little bit too much mid bass for me, the shure 846 has a lot of bass from comparison to W60.

And how is the quality ?. My friend have both and he said: the bass on shure is better, highs are more present and more details.. the soundstage is better.
But he like the bass and mid ( coloration, he like the power of drummers.., on shure and highs, detail and soundstage of w80

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #563 of 1,446
@Law87 Thanks

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #564 of 1,446
@Law87 Thanks

And I would add to Law87 reply, if your focus is on enhanced bass and you still want a clear organic tonality of mids with a nice treble definition, I would also consider CA Vega.  I find it more comfortable to wear than 846, and Vega's mids sound more natural, similar to W80.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #565 of 1,446
And I would add to Law87 reply, if your focus is on enhanced bass and you still want a clear organic tonality of mids with a nice treble definition, I would also consider CA Vega.  I find it more comfortable to wear than 846, and Vega's mids sound more natural, similar to W80.

I'll bear that in mind as well, thanks. Might get a listen to a few at the Headroom show in London this weekend

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #566 of 1,446
And how is the quality ?. My friend have both and he said: the bass on shure is better, highs are more present and more details.. the soundstage is better.
But he like the bass and mid ( coloration, he like the power of drummers.., on shure and highs, detail and soundstage of w80

The problem with the shure is, you get fatigue after listening to that style of tonality, not to mention comfort of wearing them for long hours. The bass is good but westone bass are more neutral. If you have ever listen to the bass on a fostex TH900 vs Mr. speaker Ether C or Alpha prime, the TH900 is rumbling with bass and the Mr. speaker Ether C or AP is just enough to satisfy your need and concentrate on other musical notes. Its what you really want, is bass that important to you to sacrifice comfort and other musical note? if so then get the shure, if not look elsewhere.

I dont imagine the Bass on the W80 is the same as the shure, but the W80 bass is good, shure it just they dedicated a whole system to bass, making it sound rumbling and I guess incredible to some.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #567 of 1,446

The problem with the shure is, you get fatigue after listening to that style of tonality, not to mention comfort of wearing them for long hours. The bass is good but westone bass are more neutral. If you have ever listen to the bass on a fostex TH900 vs Mr. speaker Ether C or Alpha prime, the TH900 is rumbling with bass and the Mr. speaker Ether C or AP is just enough to satisfy your need and concentrate on other musical notes. Its what you really want, is bass that important to you to sacrifice comfort and other musical note? if so then get the shure, if not look elsewhere.

I dont imagine the Bass on the W80 is the same as the shure, but the W80 bass is good, shure it just they dedicated a whole system to bass, making it sound rumbling and I guess incredible to some.

Actually i use my phone, with EQ  i put the bass more neutral i can ( without it, the bass like a crap ).
in this moment i don't have a dap, i waiting for my dx200.
I like the quality of bass on my shure..., but neurtal i still like it.
I listen the w60 and... i really don't like..., but all said the w80 is much better. I want the similar quality bass of my shure for me, se846 is not the typical b.a bass sound.
And... i can't listen fostex, mr speaker etc. My only way is buy it or listen friends headphones.

For me the perfect iem is: shure se846 with fixed highs, not more. But i'm have blue filter mod and fix someone problems, the mod change highs, boost it.
 Now the detail is better, more balanced and ' i believe, in this league the soundstage is not important for me, i prefer better separation of frecuency ) the soundstage expand, in the shure thread the people said it. ( in the past the soundstage of  shure sound on my ear but i put the nozzle in diferent position and the foam tip in the mid of nozzle and the soundstage change a lot, the soundstage sound good now for me, now don't sound on my ears, sound out )

The first problem is i don't have time to try that mod with dap, because my plenue m2 day in the same day i make that mod, i don't know if the problem of highs is fixed... but i try beyer t5p 2nd gen with my ex plenue m2 and the problem of (crash, hi-hat, raids ) in metal is not a big change (day/night), depend much of recording of songs and the songs with good record ( a few ) sounds good on my shure and in beyer t5p 2nd gen

Sorry for my english

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #568 of 1,446

I actually prefer the W30 to the W80. 

The W80's new cable microphonics are terrible. Although the sound is detailed, it is forward and harsh in way Shure IEMs are, not musically smooth like the rest of the W lineup. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #569 of 1,446

That's interesting. On a slightly different note, I was at the Headroom Show yesterday and I caved in and listened to the Shure KSE 1500s...oh my God!

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #570 of 1,446

I actually prefer the W30 to the W80. 

The W80's new cable microphonics are terrible. Although the sound is detailed, it is forward and harsh in way Shure IEMs are, not musically smooth like the rest of the W lineup. 

I think this is a matter of taste and hence I respectfully disagree. Having had both the UmPro50 and the W60 for a few weeks - I never bought them because for me the treble was too polite. Detailed but a bit too less sparkle. The W80 delivers that without any harshness and sibilance. My personal opinion is that it definitively deserves the top spot of the line up.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back