Westone W80
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #886 of 1,443
are you talking about these or something else? These are 8-conductor hybrid ALO Ref8 cable that comes standard with W80 and ES80 (it has 4 pure copper and 4 silver-plated copper conductors).

westone_es80-10.jpg

Yes that is the cable the W80 had on it. Only the W80.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #887 of 1,443
What source are you using? I thought Mojo is warmer, so it could smooth out top-end. But, as I mentioned to a few people before, if you can't hear an obvious difference between the most expensive and next to it in price IEM, consider your wallet to be fortunate :wink: People go for upgrades because they want to hear an improvement.

Im using it with pioneer xdp 300r for now, left my mojo back home im in the uk now. But tomorrow ill be back and will test thouroughly. What i can tell is the soundstage is a bit wider and the bass os deeper with more impact eapecially listening to amy whinehouse. Problem with reviewers is they dont state what tracks/albums they listen to to do comparisons

Oct 9, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #888 of 1,443
Im using it with pioneer xdp 300r for now, left my mojo back home im in the uk now. But tomorrow ill be back and will test thouroughly. What i can tell is the soundstage is a bit wider and the bass os deeper with more impact eapecially listening to amy whinehouse. Problem with reviewers is they dont state what tracks/albums they listen to to do comparisons

For me personally, I go through a list of tracks from different genres, trying to draw a general common conclusion about the sound when I'm describing it. I'm sure people will hate half of the stuff I listen to lol!!!

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #889 of 1,443
For me personally, I go through a list of tracks from different genres, trying to draw a general common conclusion about the sound when I'm describing it. I'm sure people will hate half of the stuff I listen to lol!!!
Hehe well ita not abour the sound preference but more about giving the user a guide as to what to look for in each track to see of he can pick up the differences in sounds etc. That can help him train his ears and also know what each audiophile term means when he hears it

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #890 of 1,443

To me is really noticeable the difference between W60 and W80, the treble and soundstage in W80 are very different...
Maybe your sources...to me AK70 and Mojo eats the treble in the W80....
It’s weird but IMO W60 is better match to the Mojo

By the way....I listen mostly rock music

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #891 of 1,443
I've been using my W80 with the Meridian Explorer2 and Tidal with Master files in MQA and I must say some tracks sound really well compared to a FLAC, but some others the difference is nonexistent.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #892 of 1,443
I think its all about the details but you have concentrate to hear the new details. I have been using the w80 with pioneer 300r and tidal masters, it sounds well if i really try to listen. Wish more reviewers educated potential buyers about expectations when buying new high end gear.for someone who will be walking with his iems and dap he wont hear all the details and get a good return on his investment im high end gear

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #893 of 1,443
I think its all about the details but you have concentrate to hear the new details. I have been using the w80 with pioneer 300r and tidal masters, it sounds well if i really try to listen. Wish more reviewers educated potential buyers about expectations when buying new high end gear.for someone who will be walking with his iems and dap he wont hear all the details and get a good return on his investment im high end gear
Definitely, unless you sit in a quite place and really focus, you won´t hear any difference between a good MP3 and a master audio in super high resolution. Or at least that´s what my ears tell me.

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #894 of 1,443

and from what I understand (MQA), mostly high frequency details. So, it's not just a quiet environment that you need, but also more resolving iems to hear those extra micro-details, and a good hearing :)

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #895 of 1,443
and from what I understand (MQA), mostly high frequency details. So, it's not just a quiet environment that you need, but also more resolving iems to hear those extra micro-details, and a good hearing :)
Need to find some tome to listen to both mqa and just flac. Might do it tomorrow if i feel better (flu)

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #896 of 1,443
Need to find some tome to listen to both mqa and just flac. Might do it tomorrow if i feel better (flu)

You have access to the same file encoded in MQA and FLAC?

I would wait until you feel better, with flu if your sinuses are stuffed, sound will be muffled. Just speaking from a persoal experience lol!!!

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #897 of 1,443
You have access to the same file encoded in MQA and FLAC?

I would wait until you feel better, with flu if your sinuses are stuffed, sound will be muffled. Just speaking from a persoal experience lol!!!
On Tidal you have both versions of some albums. So you can listen to both

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #898 of 1,443

IMO if you want to hear MQA or high resolution files you need the entired chain:
-A very good DAP or sound system
-a resolving headphone or IEM that match really well with your source (for example Xelento are a very good IEMs but sounds awful with the AK70...and very good with the AK320)
—a quiet environment, without this, all the experience are a nonsense
-A good record of the sound, some albums sound similar in 16 or 24/96 files because the production of the album is not the best...or because the sound producer wanted to do this way (a more dirty sound, like happens in some rock albums)

I think the W80 is a resolving IEM...
Or does not??

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #899 of 1,443
Anyone having problems with the looser connection on your Westone earpieces (it sometimes causes the sound to cut out when you move your head around... the cable connector will sometimes get cocked at an angle enough to apparently intermittently lose connection)...

I purchased this pack of little rubber o-rings. They fit perfectly over the fitting on the earpiece. Just slide them on, over the earpiece connector carefully, then attach the cable. It keeps the cable's connector more firmly connected at a straight angle, without the gap, and keeps the connector making contact much better. I had the problem from time to time, but have not had it at all since I started using 'em. It also will keep the earpieces from rotating so loosely. And there's enough in the pack for a lifetime of Westone IEM upgrades.
:ksc75smile:

I know, i'm rehashing an old post, but still curious if you can post a picture with your Westone earpieces/cable and that o-ring? I forgot if that was with W80 and/or Epic or Ref8 cable? Might want to try it with Ref8 cable and curious to see how it looks.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #900 of 1,443
I know, i'm rehashing an old post, but still curious if you can post a picture with your Westone earpieces/cable and that o-ring? I forgot if that was with W80 and/or Epic or Ref8 cable? Might want to try it with Ref8 cable and curious to see how it looks.
Apologies... meant to post sooner, but never got around to getting decent pics. I think this would probably work on W60 and others, but have only used it on W80. I don't use my other Westones since the W80.

GU0A4323_DxOa-X3.jpg

GU0A4322_DxOa-X3.jpg

GU0A4320_DxOa-X3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back