Westone W80
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #751 of 1,303

clinkzclinkz

100+ Head-Fier
Bit confused here/ You were referring to Ref8 vs Epic in the first phara and then you are referring to stock mic cable . So are these 3 cables or EPIC and stock mic cable are same? Which came with the unit. I believe only two cables are included-ALO Ref8 and ?

I am pretty sure what twister mentioned in his review is the stock mic cable if you read his full review. Thanks. It is the mic cable that comes with the unit initially.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #752 of 1,303

clinkzclinkz

100+ Head-Fier
I finally have my W80 arrived. I cannot agree with "twister6''s review anymore regarding this:
Ref8 vs Epic (OFC) – With Ref8 you can hear a lift throughout lows and mids, while treble remains the same. The first big noticeable change is the expansion of soundstage width, the sound becomes wider, wrapping around you. Both sub-bass and mid-bass gets lifted and become more energetic and better defined. If you want a more neutral sound, better stay with Epic cable since it keeps the overall frequency spectrum more balanced, while Ref8 lifts both sub- and mid-bass up with more rumble and tighter and faster punch. It does the same to the mids, from lower mids to upper mids, giving more body to the sound and a little more clarity to the vocals. With bass slightly elevated, you get vocals pushed a little back while with Epic cable the bass and the mids are more balanced, but not as energetic.

the sound coming from the stock mic cable is really really good and fits my taste really well. The sound sounds so real and good, and I mean it is just that good. However, it is kind of hard for me to get the stock cable around my ear properly as the stock cable doesn't have the plastic transparent "ear hook" part close to the mmcx connector as most of the cables do...is there any suggestion on that? Thank you.
Also plus on previous my comment. I found a very good combo to me at least after some experiment.
Ref cable + true fit tips: good -> very dynamic (Almost unhearable background noise)
Ref cable + star tips: so so -> I can't describe, it is just not that good (Obvious background noise)
Stock cable + true fit tips: so so -> lack a little bit detail
Stock cable + star tips: great -> neutral and perfect

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #753 of 1,303

sanjeewasam

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone clarify if the sound via Westone Epic cables sold separately or come with previous models are same in sonic with Westone W80 stock mic cable?

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #754 of 1,303

sanjeewasam

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone also advise if ALO Litz 2.5mm balanced wire cable by Campfire Audio work with westone w80.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #755 of 1,303
I finally have my W80 arrived. I cannot agree with "twister6''s review anymore regarding this:
Ref8 vs Epic (OFC) – With Ref8 you can hear a lift throughout lows and mids, while treble remains the same. The first big noticeable change is the expansion of soundstage width, the sound becomes wider, wrapping around you. Both sub-bass and mid-bass gets lifted and become more energetic and better defined. If you want a more neutral sound, better stay with Epic cable since it keeps the overall frequency spectrum more balanced, while Ref8 lifts both sub- and mid-bass up with more rumble and tighter and faster punch. It does the same to the mids, from lower mids to upper mids, giving more body to the sound and a little more clarity to the vocals. With bass slightly elevated, you get vocals pushed a little back while with Epic cable the bass and the mids are more balanced, but not as energetic.

the sound coming from the stock mic cable is really really good and fits my taste really well. The sound sounds so real and good, and I mean it is just that good. However, it is kind of hard for me to get the stock cable around my ear properly as the stock cable doesn't have the plastic transparent "ear hook" part close to the mmcx connector as most of the cables do...is there any suggestion on that? Thank you.

I'm not quite sure what you disagree about :wink: But regardless, if you hear that stock Epic/G2 mic cable (a basic oxygen-free copper) sounds better than ALO Ref8 (multi-braided 8 conductor cable with 4 pure copper wires and 4 high grade silver-plated-copper wires) - then, as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I'm just sharing in my review what I hear, and we don't have the same set of ears with the same sensitivity to sound, so we obviously will hear things differently. The only thing I can recommend, if you really hearing Ref8 cable to be that inferior to a basic stock cable, maybe give it a few days of burn in as recommended by ALO, instead of drawing a conclusion straight out of the box?

Or maybe I just misunderstood you where you like stock cable w/mic so much, that you can't accept it sounds inferior to Ref8 cable? :wink: Btw, Epic twisted audio only cable and Epic/G2 w/mic cable both use a basic OFC wires, and sound is similar, though you do mess with impedance of the wire when add remote in the middle of it.

Regarding earhooks, you can buy a pair of these https://penonaudio.com/High-quality-Earloop-Earhook-for-Earphones which go on the cable to keep it over your ears.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #756 of 1,303

clinkzclinkz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not quite sure what you disagree about :wink: But regardless, if you hear that stock Epic/G2 mic cable (a basic oxygen-free copper) sounds better than ALO Ref8 (multi-braided 8 conductor cable with 4 pure copper wires and 4 high grade silver-plated-copper wires) - then, as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I'm just sharing in my review what I hear, and we don't have the same set of ears with the same sensitivity to sound, so we obviously will hear things differently. The only thing I can recommend, if you really hearing Ref8 cable to be that inferior to a basic stock cable, maybe give it a few days of burn in as recommended by ALO, instead of drawing a conclusion straight out of the box?

Or maybe I just misunderstood you where you like stock cable w/mic so much, that you can't accept it sounds inferior to Ref8 cable? :wink: Btw, Epic twisted audio only cable and Epic/G2 w/mic cable both use a basic OFC wires, and sound is similar, though you do mess with impedance of the wire when add remote in the middle of it.

Regarding earhooks, you can buy a pair of these https://penonaudio.com/High-quality-Earloop-Earhook-for-Earphones which go on the cable to keep it over your ears.

I mean I cant agree you anymore means I agree you :) since you mentioned this: If you want a more neutral sound, better stay with Epic cable since it keeps the overall frequency spectrum more balanced

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #757 of 1,303
I mean I cant agree you anymore means I agree you :) since you mentioned this: If you want a more neutral sound, better stay with Epic cable since it keeps the overall frequency spectrum more balanced

Got it! just a case of misunderstanding with "anymore" vs "any more" :wink:

Cable is always a controversial topic, especially when people discuss sound changes. That's why I try to add "how I hear it" to make sure people understand it's my subjective opinion. Heck, I was just testing Effect Audio cable with two different 3.5mm plugs (Lionheart cable, one with Rhodium connector and another one with Palladium-Platinum connector), and the sound change is quite noticeable (in terms of sound width). Hard to believe, but i'm hearing it. But anyway... Glad you are enjoying W80, and definitely try those rubbery earhooks, it can really help with a fit.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #758 of 1,303

clinkzclinkz

100+ Head-Fier
Got it! just a case of misunderstanding with "anymore" vs "any more" :wink:

Cable is always a controversial topic, especially when people discuss sound changes. That's why I try to add "how I hear it" to make sure people understand it's my subjective opinion. Heck, I was just testing Effect Audio cable with two different 3.5mm plugs (Lionheart cable, one with Rhodium connector and another one with Palladium-Platinum connector), and the sound change is quite noticeable (in terms of sound width). Hard to believe, but i'm hearing it. But anyway... Glad you are enjoying W80, and definitely try those rubbery earhooks, it can really help with a fit.

haha my english is not that great. Sorry for that. True, I enjoy them very much. I think there must be scientific explanation behind sound change of the cables/connectors. I guess one of the reasons is that different cables has different Independences (I am not too sure hah). Yes I just ordered one ear hook from the link you provided! thank you for the suggestion!

To me, the soundstage of W80 is quite right to the point, not overly done, some of the earphones' soundstage are just too big and I guess W80 is trying to re-create the space where the music was recorded. Thus, it does have a really 3D feel to my ears. Also, I do think right now there are earphones that really emphasis on the high frequency. When ppl pick up the earphones they will say, oh there are a lot of high ends there but the sound sounds artificial and fatigue and cant listen for 30 mins (I watched the interview that the westone sound designer said and I agree with him). W80 is pretty natural to my ears, but still has very good separation, layers, clarity etc.. Only sub bass is not that superb, other than that, it is quite all-around across the frequency.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #760 of 1,303

clinkzclinkz

100+ Head-Fier
Actually there is absolutely no scientific explanation for cables making a difference. It is called placebo effect.

But I guess I am confident enough to tell the difference between Ref 8 cable and the stock mic cable(A/B test)...the background noise is just so obvious difference, and also I need to raise the volume if using the stock cable to get equal loudness. So there must be something behind it rather than the placebo effect hahah :)

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #761 of 1,303

sanjeewasam

100+ Head-Fier
Actually there is absolutely no scientific explanation for cables making a difference. It is called placebo effect.

I am also not a believer of cables. However in this case I have to disagree. With W80 (I got used) epic cable and ALO ref 8 and I can hear the differences and I agree with the findings others in this forum. I did have a good listen today because I am returning ALO cable that seems to have some damage. Mind you both cables have good amount of use so subject to burn in process with original owner. Epic cable (the retail EPIC cable not the cable with mic that is included) sound very balanced and with better treble extension to my ear. Upon using I immediately note a darker and more base and mids with ALO cable. In this case it is a very apparent difference with Onkyo DS X1 but not so apparent in more darker Fiio X7 with AM1. Based on my personal preference I like Onkyo with EPIC more than ALO. It is personal taste as I like treble sparkels and more balanced. I am coming from Hifiman (HE100/560/400i and HE6, AKG K812 and HD800

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #762 of 1,303

clinkzclinkz

100+ Head-Fier
Jul 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #763 of 1,303
May I ask what are the differences between:
https://www.westone.com/store/music...ro-replacement-cable-52-inches-black?___SID=U
and
https://www.westone.com/store/music...w-series-replacement-cable-52-inches?___SID=U

Looks like the first one is for um (but still can be used for w-series, and this is the so-called epic cable), but what about the 2nd one, the official w-series cable)

Thank you

Hmm, I think they had a copy'n'paste error in the description. Both are their audio only braided twisted cables, one with a flexible pre-shaped earhook and the other one without it. The earhook version usually associated with ES/UMPro series because on-stage musicians need more secure cable fit and that is a reason that version is included with UMPro series, while W-series usually has the other one without earhook so you can have a choice of a more relaxed fit, controlling it with a chin slider if you want to make it tighter. It should be the same cable, but if you look under description of the 2nd one, it talks about MIC version with in-line remote and a single control button (Android/iPhone universal remote) - which is wrong.

Btw, look at this: https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/cables/cable-ear-guides - I didn't realize Westone makes a specific cable ear guides for their cables that don't have pre-shaped earhook. Didn't see until I followed our cable links :wink: I did quote another cheap generic pair before, but I think this one is better quality and more ergonomically shaped, especially for your rounded cable with in-line remote.

westone_cableearguide_inuse.png westone_cableearguide_box-1.png

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #764 of 1,303

clinkzclinkz

100+ Head-Fier
I am also not a believer of cables. However in this case I have to disagree. With W80 (I got used) epic cable and ALO ref 8 and I can hear the differences and I agree with the findings others in this forum. I did have a good listen today because I am returning ALO cable that seems to have some damage. Mind you both cables have good amount of use so subject to burn in process with original owner. Epic cable (the retail EPIC cable not the cable with mic that is included) sound very balanced and with better treble extension to my ear. Upon using I immediately note a darker and more base and mids with ALO cable. In this case it is a very apparent difference with Onkyo DS X1 but not so apparent in more darker Fiio X7 with AM1. Based on my personal preference I like Onkyo with EPIC more than ALO. It is personal taste as I like treble sparkels and more balanced. I am coming from Hifiman (HE100/560/400i and HE6, AKG K812 and HD800
Hi, when you referring your epic cable, are you talking about this one? Thanks:
https://www.westone.com/store/music...ro-replacement-cable-52-inches-black?___SID=U

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #765 of 1,303
Hi, when you referring your epic cable, are you talking about this one? Thanks:

yeah, this one or the one without flexible earhooks. But as I mentioned before, the G2 (or Epic/G2) with in-line remote sounds not too far off. I know, there is some confusion with that in-line remote cable and how to call it, and I'm sorry for being a bit inconsistent in some of my reviews referring to it.

Users who are viewing this thread