Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #1,921 of 1,957
Thanks, I never knew such a thing existed! Ill order some and see how it goes.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,922 of 1,957
Thanks, I never knew such a thing existed! Ill order some and see how it goes.

Something like Loctite Blue threadlocker could probably do the trick as long as you don't apply too much, I guess.

Btw, are you out of warranty? Otherwise, why not contact Westone for replacement?

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,923 of 1,957
Westone W60 Gen 2 hit new low: $399 + free s/h from Adorama.
Just pull trigger as impulse buy, not even sure if i need them, meh:)

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #1,924 of 1,957
Westone W60 Gen 2 hit new low: $399 + free s/h from Adorama.
Just pull trigger as impulse buy, not even sure if i need them, meh:)

Definitely worth it, and they scale up with a cable upgrade and amp.

May 22, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,927 of 1,957
What's the deal at the moment with international shipping for goods? Unaffected or with understandable delays? Even with the likelihood of taxes there are some decent westone savings at adorama right now.

May 22, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,928 of 1,957
What's the deal at the moment with international shipping for goods? Unaffected or with understandable delays? Even with the likelihood of taxes there are some decent westone savings at adorama right now.

Wait, that $399 deal for W60 2nd gen is still on?!?

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,931 of 1,957
I recently bought the W60 v2’s. Would I be getting more from upgrading to a Chord Mojo (currently just using Asus Essence STX II sound card) or upgrading to a used W80 v1?

Aug 24, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #1,932 of 1,957
I recently bought the W60 v2’s. Would I be getting more from upgrading to a Chord Mojo (currently just using Asus Essence STX II sound card) or upgrading to a used W80 v1?

There is a difference between W80 (v1/v2 are the same) vs W60 v2, as I described here. For some people it could be considered as an upgrade, for others a side-grade. Not familiar with Asus sound card, but the spec looks almost like a decent DAP, using TI 1792A DAC and higher end opamps. Never listened to Mojo either, but from trusted reviews it sounds like a warmer smoother USB DAC/amp, could be similar to your sound card considering TI 1792 DAC. But you never know until direct a/b comparison. Typically, you get more sound upgrade going to another IEM vs going to another source.

Aug 25, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #1,933 of 1,957
In my opinion, difference between W60 and W80 is quite big, and you don't need expensive sources to hear it.
I'm listening mine with just Shanling Q1 and enjoying them much much more than W60. I've tried different cables and DAPs with W60, but they never sounded that good.

What you do need is the source with low noise and very low output impedance though
W80-web.png

On the graph yellow is 0 Ohm; 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64 ohms follow at the bottom

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,934 of 1,957
Listening to my W60 v2 right now, it's absolutely a HUGE upgrade to my W40 v1. EDM sounds absolutely amazing, and this is what I listen to mostly. I got out of the headphone hobby awhile back, but when I had the W80 before I don't remember it sounding this good. I recall the W80 having a large soundstage though, and perhaps better imaging due to it. I don't know how much better it would be haha. The STX II sound card that I have is supposedly "audiophile" grade sound card, but technically anything that uses a PCI slot in my computer gets some kind of electronic noise. Even my old Mojo I had to use optical out due to line noise with the USB. I can't perceive this noise now though, and I'm using the 16-32 ohm setting for IEM's. I was about to purchase a used mint W80 v1 on ebay for $600, but didn't jump on time before it got sold. I'm just telling myself that will save me $$$ since if I get the W80 I'll be tempted to get the Mojo too. I remember the Mojo that I had definitely sounded better than my sound card. I don't even use my headphones that often anymore, only when I go on flights or play multiplayer games that require me to use a mic. So it's hard to justify spending this money. I'm using speakers pretty much at all times when I'm home now. The $400 that I paid for the W60 v2 is absolutely a bang for the buck though. I'm VERY impressed by these, and I would say it's 90% of the W80, but I might actually prefer the W60 v2 sound signature more due to the genre I'm listening to. The W80 almost has "too large" of a soundstage, and music sounds a bit distant, as though you're sitting in the back row of a classical music performance. Just trying to talk myself out of getting the W80 :D

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,935 of 1,957
Any chances someone could compare sound of W60 v2 to Fiio FH7, Fiio FA9 and Massdrop Plus? 'Cause I'm considering them seriously as upgrade to my FLC8s and Oriolus Forsteni and I'm looking for something having balanced W-shaped signature (I'd prefer male vocals to be inline with airy highs and bass having nice quantity and rumble). I'm a little bit afraid that W60 v2 has a little laid back and thin male vocals...
Comparing them to FLC8s (preferably red/grey/green filters + silver 3,5mm cable) and Oriolus Forsteni (preferably with black/silver 3,5mm standard cable) would be also just perfect!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back