Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,816 of 1,957
I honestly don't know why they don't start to offer aluminum plates. Especially for their W60 and W80 but why not just make an option to buy custom aluminum plates for all of the W series IEMs. I mean they don't have to go as far as V-Moda in selling customization that cost more than the ear/headphones they are intended for but some customization on quality aluminum or higher quality plastics would go a long way with me.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,817 of 1,957
I honestly don't know why they don't start to offer aluminum plates. Especially for their W60 and W80 but why not just make an option to buy custom aluminum plates for all of the W series IEMs. I mean they don't have to go as far as V-Moda in selling customization that cost more than the ear/headphones they are intended for but some customization on quality aluminum or higher quality plastics would go a long way with me.

Sounds like a great idea. More to come on that front...

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #1,818 of 1,957
I will talk to my customer service team because you shouldn't have to purchase a faceplates that have cracked under normal use.

If you or anyone on here ever have a problem getting replacements you should PM me. We may ask for a photo and the serial number but we will take care of you.
The W30's I just purchased came with a cracked faceplate but I've been in touch with someone at Westone and they are sending me new plates for free which I appreciate. However, like I said above, why not just make a more customized premium plate option?

That or considering these plates seem to be far too fragile to come with $400-$1000+ earphones, why not make standard improved plates and ship them out with new purchases and make them available for purchase. Getting my replacement plates was pretty painless but considering one shipped with a broken plate and the other plate broke with very light use after 1 day, I don't count on the new ones lasting very long. The earphones are great and I really like the W30's and am considering the W60's but silly issues like fragile cosmetic plates shouldn't ever have to be a consideration in $1000 or even $100 earphones.

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,820 of 1,957
If I don't stick them on they will fall off at some point and the iem's will look very cheap (though they do sound good). Mine aren't close to being out of warranty but it would cost too much posting them to the US. I won't be buying the W80 because of the faceplate issue and the fact they don't come with a balanced cable.

In all fairness, why I also experienced issues with W series faceplate in the past, the W80 j-clip (vs W10-W60 c-clip) has a different, more robust design. Because I have many IEMs in rotation I don't put every single one through as much abuse, but I found that W80 can take some beating and *knock on wood* so far I still have the original red/blue set, been using it for over a year.

9464589.jpg

Now curious about @BKG22 "... more to come" comment :D

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #1,821 of 1,957
Honestly, they should just ditch the faceplate design and make the left iem blue and the right red to start with if they want a bit of flare. Only reason I haven't picked up westone this generation (aside from the lowly new um1) was because of the build quality.

That said for those in the uk who want to save a bit of cash over easter, advancedmp3players have a 15 percent off until bank holiday monday. Code is on the site.

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,824 of 1,957
Honestly, they should just ditch the faceplate design and make the left iem blue and the right red to start with if they want a bit of flare. Only reason I haven't picked up westone this generation (aside from the lowly new um1) was because of the build quality.

That said for those in the uk who want to save a bit of cash over easter, advancedmp3players have a 15 percent off until bank holiday monday. Code is on the site.

Yeah, but then someone will chime in with "oh, I don't like these colors" :D Hard to make everyone happy, I'm afraid. But I'm thinking, for example, if colors are neutral but W letter or a model number on a faceplate is in red and blue - that could be more subtle and functional to quickly spot Left/Right sides.

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,826 of 1,957
Ripped out the cable connector on one of these during a cable change. Is there a wat to fix it at home?

Probably pulled it by the cable instead of connector mold? :wink: It could happen. Can you post a picture of what's going on? Will be easier to advice based on the picture, cause i assume the connector stayed with a shell while cable got ripped out?

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,827 of 1,957
Probably pulled it by the cable instead of connector mold? :wink: It could happen. Can you post a picture of what's going on? Will be easier to advice based on the picture, cause i assume the connector stayed with a shell while cable got ripped out?
Thats funny, I just assumed it was the other way around and the connector from the IEM ripped out. Either way, pics would help :wink:

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,828 of 1,957
Thats funny, I just assumed it was the other way around and the connector from the IEM ripped out. Either way, pics would help :wink:

it's 50/50 :p I'm not a gambler, let's wait for the picture :D

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #1,829 of 1,957
I'll post the pics when i have the chance, Coconut is right, I ripped off the socket from the IEM. On the socket, i can see the cable connection points but I need to crack open the IEM to reach the cables and re-solder them, I guess. if i open it, I am afraid the BAs may pour out.

I was half drunk while listening to these and decided to switch the cable to suit my favorite player's output to use these more. You should never touch delicate stuff while intoxicated.

Anybody has a spare right W60? :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #1,830 of 1,957
i have the w60 for sale not just the right though :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back